eclipse

pat270881

Hello,

Is it possible to configure eclipse in that way that when I mark (and
possibly press another key) a class in my project (an existing class
in the java api) that the api documentation is displayed to look at the
available methods, constructors, etc.? I have downloaded the
documentation from the java sun homepage. Can anybody tell me how I can
realize that?

thx

pat

ninhoa

pat270881 said:
Hello,

Is it possible to configure eclipse in that way that when I mark (and
possibly press another key) a class in my project (an existing class
in the java api) that the api documentation is displayed to look at the
available methods, constructors, etc.? I have downloaded the
documentation from the java sun homepage. Can anybody tell me how I can
realize that?

thx

pat

Yes, starting with Eclipse 3 (at least in Windows) when you put the
mouse over a class (or a method or variable) a popup shows up; you can
press F2 to view the complete javadoc. Thus I don't know where this is
defined.
Also, try selecting a class and press F3 to view the class source.

TechBookReport

pat270881 said:
Hello,

Is it possible to configure eclipse in that way that when I mark (and
possibly press another key) a class in my project (an existing class
in the java api) that the api documentation is displayed to look at the
available methods, constructors, etc.? I have downloaded the
documentation from the java sun homepage. Can anybody tell me how I can
realize that?

thx

pat
Preferences > Java > Installed JREs, select the JRE and then hit the
edit button and enter the path to the API docs. From then on you can
highlight a class and then hit F3 to get to the JavaDocs.

HTH

TechBookReport Java Book Reviews
http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

Roland

Yes, starting with Eclipse 3 (at least in Windows) when you put the
mouse over a class (or a method or variable) a popup shows up; you can
press F2 to view the complete javadoc. Thus I don't know where this is
defined.
Also, try selecting a class and press F3 to view the class source.

There are also the Javadoc and Declaration views (Window -> Show View
-> Javadoc/Declaration), which show the javadoc/declaration of the
element you select in the editor.

To be able to view javadoc/declarations of JRE classes, you must have
linked the source of the runtime libraries (src.zip). The same applies
to other libaries too, of course.
If you haven't link it yet, the easiest/laziest way is probably to open
class java.lang.Object (Navigate -> Open Type, or Ctrl-Shift-T). Then in
the editor, press 'Attach Source' and use 'External File' to browse to
the file 'src.zip' in the SDK installation directory to attach it.
[Maybe you have to close the editor on java.lang.Object and reopen it
(Ctrl-Shift-T).]
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter