Editing an ASP:Table using Design View in Visual Studio

Nathan Sokalski

When editing an ASP Table, Visual Studio does not allow me to edit it in
Design View. This makes it harder to add elements, because I must add every
element either by using Design View to create the element outside of the
table and then using cut & paste in HTML View to move it to the desired
location, or by manually typing the code in using HTML View. The first
technique sometimes does not automatically update the list of elements
declared in the Protected WithEvents area of the code, and the second
technique never adds them to begin with. Why am I not allowed to use Design
View to add and edit elements inside ASP Tables? It is very frustrating and
sometimes time consuming to do everything involving ASP Tables manually,
especially when the HTML View constantly rearranges my code. Any suggestions
or word about improvements to this in future versions? (I know that the code
rearranging is supposed to be fixed in VS 2005, but I have not heard
anything about the ASP Table issue) Thanks.

Norman Yuan

People here is for ASP.NET, not ASP. By the way, what is ASP table? in ASP,
there is only Html table. In ASP.NET, you have the same html table and Table
as web control, which you can use "TableRow Collection Editor" to design it
quite easily (but not perfect, I know). As for VS2005, do not expect
anything if you meant ASP, not ASP.NET.

Mikhail Arkhipov (Microsoft)

[...]

VS 2005 has completely new, significantly improved table editor.

Thanks
Mikhail Arkhipov (Microsoft)
-- This post is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties and confers no rights

Nathan Sokalski

Maybe I was not clear in my description. I probably said ASP because the
tagname is asp:table, but I actually meant an ASP.NET table. What I was
basically asking is is there a way to use the Design View to edit an ASP.NET
Table the same way it lets you edit an HTML Table? Visual Studio's Design
View lets me insert elements into an HTML Table, but it does not let me
insert elements into an ASP.NET Table. If I insert elements into an ASP.NET
Table using HTML View, they are displayed in Design View, but I cannot
select them to edit properties, delete them, etc. In other words, when it
comes to ASP.NET Tables, everything must be manually done in code.

Norman Yuan

Yeah, that is what I am doing: in one of my project: I need to place button
in a cell of table web control and I can only write code in HTML view (or do
it dynamically at runtime). I do not see what other way you can do it.
Hopefully VS2005 can make it easier, as the other post said.