    Thanks,
    Jim

    , Jun 29, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I'm using emacs vhdl-mode. I want auto-indentation every time I hit tab
    > key regardless where the cursor is in the current line. But by default,
    > vhdl-mode does word auto-complete if the cursor in the middle of a
    > word. What's easiest way to turn off the word auto-complete and always
    > use auto-indentation for tab key?

    I use [space][tab] or [esc][tab] to
    end a word and force a tab stop.

    I use the VHDL,beautify-buffer command
    to line everything up when I done with
    a screen.

    I find auto-completion to be very useful
    and wouldn't suggest rebinding the tab key.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Jun 29, 2006

  3. Andy Peters Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm using emacs vhdl-mode. I want auto-indentation every time I hit tab
    > key regardless where the cursor is in the current line. But by default,
    > vhdl-mode does word auto-complete if the cursor in the middle of a
    > word.

    Autocomplete is one of the main reasons I use emacs and the VHDL mode

    -a

    Andy Peters, Jun 29, 2006
  4. "" <> writes:

    > I'm using emacs vhdl-mode. I want auto-indentation every time I hit tab
    > key regardless where the cursor is in the current line. But by default,
    > vhdl-mode does word auto-complete if the cursor in the middle of a
    > word. What's easiest way to turn off the word auto-complete and always
    > use auto-indentation for tab key?

    I find the autocomplete to be invaluable - so much so that I 've been
    meaning to take it's functionality and apply it to the other modes I
    use!

    I just prod C-c C-b to beautify the buffer every so often to tidy up
    what I've typed. Not that it needs much as the auto-indent engine
    seems to do the right thing most of the time anyway.

    One note: Buffer beautifying doesn't play nicely with folding mode
    though - you have to turn folding mode off, or open all the folds
    before beautifying. Which is a shame as I use folding-mode a lot to
    make my top-levels a bit easier to navigate!

    Cheers,
    Martin

    http://www.trw.com/conekt

    Martin Thompson, Jun 30, 2006
  5. wrote:

    > I'm using emacs vhdl-mode. I want auto-indentation every time I hit tab
    > key regardless where the cursor is in the current line. But by default,
    > vhdl-mode does word auto-complete if the cursor in the middle of a
    > word. What's easiest way to turn off the word auto-complete and always
    > use auto-indentation for tab key?

    And if Jim is still not convinced to use the intelligent tab, there is a
    customization option to turn it off, accessible from the menu

    VHDL -> Options -> Miscellaneous -> Use Intelligent Tab

    Reto

    Reto Zimmermann, Jun 30, 2006

    Mike Treseler, Jun 30, 2006