Embedding Flash: Undesired Result

Gusero

I have an unexpected result from embedding a flash file into an html
page.

The unexpected/undesired result in the output is that the page is
stretching.
It creates a horizontal scrollbar and there is nothing in that portion
of the page.

See the screenshots below:

http://www.photodump.com/Anonymous/code.html
http://www.photodump.com/Anonymous/output_R-686.html

The embedding code comes directly from w3's website:
http://www.w3schools.com/flash/flash_inhtml.asp

I have tried validating the code using both Strict and Transitional
DTD via http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input, and they both
return errors.

As can be seen in the output screenshot, the code is valid according
to the Webmaster add-on in Firefox.

I have also viewed the page in IE 6.0, and the page displays fine
(without the horizontal scrollbar).

I have also tried two different servers running apache using both
windows and linux.

I have not tried viewing in Opera or Safari.

Has anyone else ever ran across this? Is it a Firefox bug, CSS, HTML,
or what?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, TIA!

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Gusero <[email protected]>
writing in 25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:
I have an unexpected result from embedding a flash file into an html
page.

The unexpected/undesired result in the output is that the page is
stretching.
It creates a horizontal scrollbar and there is nothing in that portion
of the page.

See the screenshots below:

http://www.photodump.com/Anonymous/code.html
http://www.photodump.com/Anonymous/output_R-686.html

In this case, a URL to the actual markup would be most helpful.
The embedding code comes directly from w3's website:
http://www.w3schools.com/flash/flash_inhtml.asp

That is not the W3's site, that is w3SCHOOLS, whose only association
with the W3C is the name.
I have tried validating the code using both Strict and Transitional
DTD via http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input, and they both
return errors.

Again, a URL to the actual markup would be helpful.
As can be seen in the output screenshot, the code is valid according
to the Webmaster add-on in Firefox.

The W3C's validator trumps an addon any day.
I have also viewed the page in IE 6.0, and the page displays fine
(without the horizontal scrollbar).

I have also tried two different servers running apache using both
windows and linux.

I have not tried viewing in Opera or Safari.

Has anyone else ever ran across this? Is it a Firefox bug, CSS, HTML,
or what?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, TIA!

URL, please? If the page is dynamic or something, then view source, put
the static markup on a page and upload it to a public server somewhere.
There are many available - your ISP may provide you with free space.

Travis Newbury

I have an unexpected result from embedding a flash file into an html
page.

You obviously fucked up the code or it would be working. Now you want
us to believe you did not **** up displaying the code? How can we
believe you?

We already know your a screw-up, so try to send us the real URL (we
can test if you **** that up too...) After we get the URL, then we
can take a look to see where you started fucking up.

Oh, hope I did not offend you by calling you a **** up and a screw-
up. Nothing personal mate.

cwdjrxyz

[...]

Notice the w3schools site says the code they show is a minimum, and
that is quite an understatement if you want your flash to view
correctly on most popular browsers. At least one reason you get errors
at the w3c validator is the use of embed. There never has been an
official w3c tag called embed; rather it is a relic of the browser war
era(a gift from Netscape, I believe). However embed often will work
when used in the correct code. There are several codes used to display
flash. The code I use may be more complex than you want because it is
designed to offer up to several video formats. There are several other
methods that have been used. I will repeat a portion of an old post I
made here below.

There are 2 common ways to open a video player. The first brings up
the player itself. The second embeds the player on a web page at a
size you choose. I usually use the second method. An example is at:
http://www.cwdjr.net/video2/videotestIM2.php . A png image is used as
an image map. Clicked it in the various labeled areas brings up the
video in any of 4 video formats, and it has a stop button. The image
was constructed using the gd extension of php. Thus image is easily
relabeled if needed. Since much of the code is in php, you will not
see much of what I am doing by viewing the source code of the page.
Rather you see what the server downloads after you choose the video
format in a form that tells the server to write a page with code for
only the selected video format, which saves downloading a lot of
unneeded code for the other formats not selected.

A text php file is at: http://www.cwdjr.net/video2/videotestIM2.txt .
The include file at the very top of the page has to do with serving as
true xhtml1.1 when the viewing browser will accept it, otherwise the
page is rewritten as html 4.01 strict. I suggest you use html 4.01
strict at least first. View the source code of the page on IE7 to see
how the code starts with html 4.01.

On down the page you will find 4 more includes. These are links to
video object files. This allows a much less messy main page, and you
only need an include object file for each video you can select on the
main page. For instance the flashvob video object file is:
http://www.cwdjr.net/video2/flashvob.txt .

This page happens to be designed for high broadband and thus may be
slow to download on low broadband, so buffering time may become
excessive if you do not have a reliable download speed of over 2Mbps.
This can be a problem in some areas outside of the US where the server
is located. Of course instead of buttons to select 4 video formats
you could select different versions of the same format video encoded
for different download speeds to allow easy playing on slow
connections, with some to considerable loss in quality, of course.

Gusero

First of all, thank you for your response and your suggestions!

gusero.vndv.com/flash

Forgive me for not pasting the code initialy.

And thanks for clarifying that about W3Schools.

Gusero

Thank you for the reply and the detailed examples!

I am considering your approach now.
I did not realize that this could be such a complicated task.
But, I guess with so many browsers floating around it can only be
expected.