Embedding Flash: Undesired Result

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Gusero, Sep 8, 2008.

  1. Gusero

    Gusero Guest

    I have an unexpected result from embedding a flash file into an html
    page.

    The unexpected/undesired result in the output is that the page is
    stretching.
    It creates a horizontal scrollbar and there is nothing in that portion
    of the page.

    See the screenshots below:

    http://www.photodump.com/Anonymous/code.html
    http://www.photodump.com/Anonymous/output_R-686.html

    The embedding code comes directly from w3's website:
    http://www.w3schools.com/flash/flash_inhtml.asp

    I have tried validating the code using both Strict and Transitional
    DTD via http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input, and they both
    return errors.

    As can be seen in the output screenshot, the code is valid according
    to the Webmaster add-on in Firefox.

    I have also viewed the page in IE 6.0, and the page displays fine
    (without the horizontal scrollbar).

    I have also tried two different servers running apache using both
    windows and linux.

    I have not tried viewing in Opera or Safari.

    Has anyone else ever ran across this? Is it a Firefox bug, CSS, HTML,
    or what?

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, TIA!
    Gusero, Sep 8, 2008

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Gusero <>
    writing in news:f97f06b1-f524-4a08-871e-1589c78dfc79@
    25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

    > I have an unexpected result from embedding a flash file into an html
    > page.
    >
    > The unexpected/undesired result in the output is that the page is
    > stretching.
    > It creates a horizontal scrollbar and there is nothing in that portion
    > of the page.
    >
    > See the screenshots below:
    >
    > http://www.photodump.com/Anonymous/code.html
    > http://www.photodump.com/Anonymous/output_R-686.html

    In this case, a URL to the actual markup would be most helpful.

    > The embedding code comes directly from w3's website:
    > http://www.w3schools.com/flash/flash_inhtml.asp

    That is not the W3's site, that is w3SCHOOLS, whose only association
    with the W3C is the name.

    > I have tried validating the code using both Strict and Transitional
    > DTD via http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input, and they both
    > return errors.

    Again, a URL to the actual markup would be helpful.

    > As can be seen in the output screenshot, the code is valid according
    > to the Webmaster add-on in Firefox.

    The W3C's validator trumps an addon any day.

    > I have also viewed the page in IE 6.0, and the page displays fine
    > (without the horizontal scrollbar).
    >
    > I have also tried two different servers running apache using both
    > windows and linux.
    >
    > I have not tried viewing in Opera or Safari.
    >
    > Has anyone else ever ran across this? Is it a Firefox bug, CSS, HTML,
    > or what?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, TIA!

    URL, please? If the page is dynamic or something, then view source, put
    the static markup on a page and upload it to a public server somewhere.
    There are many available - your ISP may provide you with free space.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 8, 2008

  3. On Sep 8, 3:05 pm, Gusero <> wrote:
    > I have an unexpected result from embedding a flash file into an html
    > page.

    You obviously fucked up the code or it would be working. Now you want
    us to believe you did not **** up displaying the code? How can we
    believe you?

    We already know your a screw-up, so try to send us the real URL (we
    can test if you **** that up too...) After we get the URL, then we
    can take a look to see where you started fucking up.

    Oh, hope I did not offend you by calling you a **** up and a screw-
    up. Nothing personal mate.

    --
    Travis
    Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com
    Travis Newbury, Sep 8, 2008
  4. Gusero

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Sep 8, 2:05 pm, Gusero <> wrote:
    > I have an unexpected result from embedding a flash file into an html
    > page.
    >
    > The unexpected/undesired result in the output is that the page is
    > stretching.
    > It creates a horizontal scrollbar and there is nothing in that portion
    > of the page.
    >
    > See the screenshots below:
    >
    > http://www.photodump.com/Anonymous/code.htmlhttp://www.photodump.com/Anonymous/output_R-686.html
    >
    > The embedding code comes directly from w3's website:http://www.w3schools.com/flash/flash_inhtml.asp
    >
    > I have tried validating the code using both Strict and Transitional
    > DTD viahttp://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input, and they both
    > return errors.
    >
    > As can be seen in the output screenshot, the code is valid according
    > to the Webmaster add-on in Firefox.
    >
    > I have also viewed the page in IE 6.0, and the page displays fine
    > (without the horizontal scrollbar).
    >
    > I have also tried two different servers running apache using both
    > windows and linux.
    >
    > I have not tried viewing in Opera or Safari.
    >
    > Has anyone else ever ran across this? Is it a Firefox bug, CSS, HTML,
    > or what?

    Notice the w3schools site says the code they show is a minimum, and
    that is quite an understatement if you want your flash to view
    correctly on most popular browsers. At least one reason you get errors
    at the w3c validator is the use of embed. There never has been an
    official w3c tag called embed; rather it is a relic of the browser war
    era(a gift from Netscape, I believe). However embed often will work
    when used in the correct code. There are several codes used to display
    flash. The code I use may be more complex than you want because it is
    designed to offer up to several video formats. There are several other
    methods that have been used. I will repeat a portion of an old post I
    made here below.

    There are 2 common ways to open a video player. The first brings up
    the player itself. The second embeds the player on a web page at a
    size you choose. I usually use the second method. An example is at:
    http://www.cwdjr.net/video2/videotestIM2.php . A png image is used as
    an image map. Clicked it in the various labeled areas brings up the
    video in any of 4 video formats, and it has a stop button. The image
    was constructed using the gd extension of php. Thus image is easily
    relabeled if needed. Since much of the code is in php, you will not
    see much of what I am doing by viewing the source code of the page.
    Rather you see what the server downloads after you choose the video
    format in a form that tells the server to write a page with code for
    only the selected video format, which saves downloading a lot of
    unneeded code for the other formats not selected.

    A text php file is at: http://www.cwdjr.net/video2/videotestIM2.txt .
    The include file at the very top of the page has to do with serving as
    true xhtml1.1 when the viewing browser will accept it, otherwise the
    page is rewritten as html 4.01 strict. I suggest you use html 4.01
    strict at least first. View the source code of the page on IE7 to see
    how the code starts with html 4.01.

    On down the page you will find 4 more includes. These are links to
    video object files. This allows a much less messy main page, and you
    only need an include object file for each video you can select on the
    main page. For instance the flashvob video object file is:
    http://www.cwdjr.net/video2/flashvob.txt .

    This page happens to be designed for high broadband and thus may be
    slow to download on low broadband, so buffering time may become
    excessive if you do not have a reliable download speed of over 2Mbps.
    This can be a problem in some areas outside of the US where the server
    is located. Of course instead of buttons to select 4 video formats
    you could select different versions of the same format video encoded
    for different download speeds to allow easy playing on slow
    connections, with some to considerable loss in quality, of course.
    cwdjrxyz, Sep 8, 2008
  5. Gusero

    Gusero Guest

    First of all, thank you for your response and your suggestions!

    gusero.vndv.com/flash

    Forgive me for not pasting the code initialy.

    And thanks for clarifying that about W3Schools.
    Gusero, Sep 9, 2008
  6. Gusero

    Gusero Guest

    None taken.

    But I do wish you the best on dealing with your personal problems!
    Gusero, Sep 9, 2008
  7. Gusero

    Gusero Guest

    Thank you for the reply and the detailed examples!

    I am considering your approach now.
    I did not realize that this could be such a complicated task.
    But, I guess with so many browsers floating around it can only be
    expected.
    Gusero, Sep 9, 2008