opera and flash in a html page....

Peterken

Can anybody tell me what the considerations are when creating a page for
flash in Opera ?
I've got the effect of a flash animation not correctly showing in Opera.
It shows up as a thin horizontal line at the top of the page.
does Opera interpret the "percentual scale" and "exactfit" factor correctly
?
(It shows up in IE and Netscape as it should, only Opera fails...)

The code of the page is:

<head>
<title>Welcome</title>
</head>

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000" id="obj1"
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,22,0"
border="0" width="100%" height="100%">
<param name="movie" value="http://somesite/someflash.swf">
<param name="quality" value="High">
<param name="scale" value="ExactFit">
<embed src="http://somesite/someflash.swf"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="obj1" width="100%" height="100%"
quality="High" scale="ExactFit"></object>

cwdjrxyz

Peterken said:
Can anybody tell me what the considerations are when creating a page for
flash in Opera ?
I've got the effect of a flash animation not correctly showing in Opera.
It shows up as a thin horizontal line at the top of the page.

Take a look at my test page at
http://www.cwdjr.info/movie/cancanSWF.php . It works for me on the
latest versions of Opera, Firefox, Netscape, Mozilla, and IE. The flash
image was created from a free tool that is described by clicking on the
link at the top of the flash page. You can pay the company and get rid
of the link. The flash movie was created not to autostart. I don't use
much flash, so I am not willing to pay for expensive flash software.
Note that this page is designed for broadband(I have about 2.56 Mbps
download speed from my server, so this very short clip could take a
long time to load on dialup).Since this page is a work in progress,
some of the comments in the source code may not be so clear yet. I use
two methods. Of course for a working page you would use only one method
with all of the commented code removed. For flash files that load
rapidly, I use a pure object method without AX. For very large flash
files such as this, the IE6 will not start playing until the download
is complete. For IE type browsers only, the IE conditional comments are
used to use ActiveX for IE based browsers only. Of course ActiveX is
valid up to xhtml 1.1- at least the W3C validator does not complain. It
is just that most browsers other than IE do not support it. And of
course many flash codes contain an embed path which works, but it is
not valid and the validator gives you many complaints if you use it. I
wanted to avoid having to write a short "starter" flash file, of the
same dimensions as the main flash file, as required for the so-called
Satay method. There are several other approaches to handling the IE6
flash complication, and both advantages and disadvantages can be quoted
for all of them.

Peterken

Toby Inkster said:
This is your problem. There is no such attribute as "height" for TABLE
elements, so Opera ignores it.

See:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.1

Ok Toby, got it, you're right....
Tjeeses.
I removed the table completely and opera shows the flash movie in whole now.

BUT: Now there's an even more weird effect.
It opens OK, shows all images, plays embedded sound,...
But when using Opera it does *not* show *any* text that's embedded in the
flash movie.
Neither does *any* link in the movie work in Opera.

I thought flash didn't rely on the browser to display its text ?
IE and NS still work OK, so the flash plugin works for those.

When right-clicking the movie in Opera it says "about flash player 7"
When right-clicking the movie in IE/NS it says "about flash player 8"

So somehow Opera seems to screw up flash8 ?
(plugins are present and enabled)

cwdjrxyz

Peterken said:
When right-clicking the movie in Opera it says "about flash player 7"
When right-clicking the movie in IE/NS it says "about flash player 8"

So somehow Opera seems to screw up flash8 ?
(plugins are present and enabled)

I wonder if you have 2 versions of flash support installed on your
computer. You might do a careful search to see, and remove the earlier
version if there are 2. Also a complete removal and clean reinstall
sometimes can clear up these sorts of strange problems. Flash
completely quit working for me on Firefox only a few months ago and
flash got assigned to the QT player when your were on Firefox. I had to
reinstall Firefox, flash, and QT to get things working properly again.
A proper install of flash will establish flash support for all of your
browsers. Of course there could still be yet another problem in your
code that is causing problems. However I have not had any problems on
Opera with any of their recent upgrades. If you continue to have
problems that we do not help you resolve, you might want to post in the
Opera forum. Now and then a member of the Opera design team will answer
there if the problem is rather difficult to solve.

Peterken

">
Ok Toby, got it, you're right....
Tjeeses.
I removed the table completely and opera shows the flash movie in whole
now.

BUT: Now there's an even more weird effect.
It opens OK, shows all images, plays embedded sound,...
But when using Opera it does *not* show *any* text that's embedded in the
flash movie.
Neither does *any* link in the movie work in Opera.

I thought flash didn't rely on the browser to display its text ?
IE and NS still work OK, so the flash plugin works for those.

When right-clicking the movie in Opera it says "about flash player 7"
When right-clicking the movie in IE/NS it says "about flash player 8"

So somehow Opera seems to screw up flash8 ?
(plugins are present and enabled)

Published the swf as version 6 now...
Now Opera shows all.
But why ????????
Why would opera screw up a flash movie ?

Travis Newbury

Peterken said:
Can anybody tell me what the considerations are when creating a page for
flash in Opera ?

Yes, use the HTML code provided by Flash when you publish the object.
It works in all popular browsers including Opera.

Joel Shepherd

Travis Newbury said:
Duh? The obvious? Because Opera sucks.

As a long-time Opera user, I can confidently report that Opera "screws
up" very few Flash presentations. Whether that's a good thing or not is
left to the reader.

(Anyway, didn't you (Travis) just say that Opera works fine with the
HTML provided by Flash (not that I know what that means)?)

Travis Newbury

Joel said:
As a long-time Opera user, I can confidently report that Opera "screws
up" very few Flash presentations. Whether that's a good thing or not is
left to the reader.
(Anyway, didn't you (Travis) just say that Opera works fine with the
HTML provided by Flash (not that I know what that means)?)

I was being facetious