    How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

    Thanks,

    Susan

    susan, Oct 26, 2007

  2. susan

    dorayme Guest

    In article <ffs5tp$olt$1.ov.home.nl>,
    "susan" <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I use an ëmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last week
    > it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it used
    > QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
    >
    > How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

    Platform?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 26, 2007

  3. susan

    susan Guest

    "dorayme" <> schreef in bericht
    > In article <ffs5tp$olt$1.ov.home.nl>,
    > "susan" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I use an ëmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last
    >> week
    >> it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it used
    >> QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
    >>
    >> How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?
    >>

    > Platform?
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Platform: Windows XP Home
    Browser: IE 7.0

    susan, Oct 26, 2007
  4. susan

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:45:09
    GMT susan scribed:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I use an ëmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last
    > week it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it
    > used QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
    >
    > How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

    Quicktime is a heinous program that inveigles itself in your software. The
    first thing I would do is get rid of it - "remove" it from your computer.
    This may be necessary in some cases to remove it from browser-recognition.

    You will also (probably) have to edit your browser's mime types as well.
    If you're still having problems in a couple of days, I will retrace my own
    steps in exorcising it from IE on my box and let you know what I did.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Just a boogar in the proboscis of life.

    Neredbojias, Oct 26, 2007
  5. susan

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns99D570D03560Dnanopandaneredbojias@85.214.62.108>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:45:09
    > GMT susan scribed:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I use an ëmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last
    > > week it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it
    > > used QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
    > >
    > > How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

    > Quicktime is a heinous program that inveigles itself in your software. The
    > first thing I would do is get rid of it - "remove" it from your computer.
    > This may be necessary in some cases to remove it from browser-recognition.
    >
    > You will also (probably) have to edit your browser's mime types as well.
    > If you're still having problems in a couple of days, I will retrace my own
    > steps in exorcising it from IE on my box and let you know what I did.

    On a Mac one can set up what a browser should use for opening
    files. For example, in Firefox, under the Content preferences,
    there is a field where you can manage how the browser handles
    certain file types. You can open with a plugin (these can be
    inspected in their folder), open with some application, save them
    to your computer and not open them. You can set these things up
    easily. Perhaps it is more complex on Windows machines? It seems
    very drastic to remove QT completely. Perhaps someone could go
    through the procedure of how to set options for this on a Windows
    machine... on a Windows forum if not here?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 26, 2007
  6. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <Xns99D570D03560Dnanopandaneredbojias@85.214.62.108>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:45:09
    >> GMT susan scribed:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I use an ëmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last
    >>> week it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it
    >>> used QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
    >>>
    >>> How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

    >> Quicktime is a heinous program that inveigles itself in your software. The
    >> first thing I would do is get rid of it - "remove" it from your computer.
    >> This may be necessary in some cases to remove it from browser-recognition.
    >>
    >> You will also (probably) have to edit your browser's mime types as well.
    >> If you're still having problems in a couple of days, I will retrace my own
    >> steps in exorcising it from IE on my box and let you know what I did.

    > On a Mac one can set up what a browser should use for opening
    > files. For example, in Firefox, under the Content preferences,
    > there is a field where you can manage how the browser handles
    > certain file types. You can open with a plugin (these can be
    > inspected in their folder), open with some application, save them
    > to your computer and not open them. You can set these things up
    > easily. Perhaps it is more complex on Windows machines?

    It is the same for FF on Windows, but you can also set file open
    defaults at the OS level. Both Quicktime AND RealPlayer have a nasty
    habit of commandeering media types without notice. Like Neredbojias my
    recommendation is uninstall the turkey. I recommend the open source
    options that are less aggressive, QuicktimeAlternative and RealAlternative

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm
    Free-Codecs.com : QuickTime Alternative 1.90

    and

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
    Free-Codecs.com :: Download Real Alternative 1.60

    > It seems
    > very drastic to remove QT completely. Perhaps someone could go
    > through the procedure of how to set options for this on a Windows
    > machine... on a Windows forum if not here?

    To change and action at the OS level...

    Start > My Computer

    Tools > Folder Options... > File Types

    Scroll to "MP3"

    Click the Open with "Change..." button and reset to Windows Media player.

    Just be aware that if you open the Quicktime player it will probably
    grab MP3s again. I would advise using the open source player that will
    allow you to play MOVs and other QT files without the fuss...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 26, 2007
  7. "susan" <> writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I use an ëmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until last week
    > it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page today it used
    > QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.

    As far as you know? Are you taking Ambien? :)

    Some time between the most recent visit and the one before, someone (maybe
    you) either updated or installed the QuickTime player on the PC you're using
    to check the site, and answered "yes" when the installer asked if QT should
    be the default media player for "internet content."

    > How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

    Start up Media Player and bring select the Tools/Options menu item. In the
    options dialog, choose the "Files" pane and select the file types for which
    WMP should be the default player.

    sherm--

    Sherman Pendley, Oct 26, 2007
  8. susan

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 19:40:30
    GMT dorayme scribed:

    >> > I use an ëmbed src"to play mp3-files in a local html-page. Until
    >> > last week it used Windows Media Player. When I visited the page
    >> > today it used QuickTime. As far as I know I didn't change a thing.
    >> >
    >> > How can I change it back to Windows Media Player?

    >> Quicktime is a heinous program that inveigles itself in your
    >> software. The first thing I would do is get rid of it - "remove" it
    >> from your computer. This may be necessary in some cases to remove it
    >> from browser-recognition.
    >>
    >> You will also (probably) have to edit your browser's mime types as
    >> well. If you're still having problems in a couple of days, I will
    >> retrace my own steps in exorcising it from IE on my box and let you
    >> know what I did.

    > On a Mac one can set up what a browser should use for opening
    > files. For example, in Firefox, under the Content preferences,
    > there is a field where you can manage how the browser handles
    > certain file types. You can open with a plugin (these can be
    > inspected in their folder), open with some application, save them
    > to your computer and not open them. You can set these things up
    > easily. Perhaps it is more complex on Windows machines? It seems
    > very drastic to remove QT completely. Perhaps someone could go
    > through the procedure of how to set options for this on a Windows
    > machine... on a Windows forum if not here?

    The problem I had was with ie6 on a Windows machine. It was exceedlingly
    difficult to change Quicktime from being the default for certain mime
    types no matter what I did. Dunno about ie7, and for ff and opera, I
    experienced no real problem. Perhaps Sherm Pendley's method (re-
    defaulting WMP) is a quick-fix I just didn't think of, but I really can't
    remember. In any event, Jonathan N. Little has posted alterantives I
    wished I knew about before, and I'd recommend those procedures
    particularly in the case of Quicktime, which I'll never use again.
    (Quicktime/mov files are also just made for embedding ads and other non-
    user-friendly parasites of the digital persuasion.) However, keep in
    mind that a portion of the dilemma is with ie/win, too.

    Neredbojias, Oct 26, 2007
  9. Neredbojias wrote:

    > The problem I had was with ie6 on a Windows machine. It was exceedlingly
    > difficult to change Quicktime from being the default for certain mime
    > types no matter what I did. Dunno about ie7, and for ff and opera, I
    > experienced no real problem. Perhaps Sherm Pendley's method (re-
    > defaulting WMP) is a quick-fix I just didn't think of, but I really can't
    > remember. In any event, Jonathan N. Little has posted alterantives I
    > wished I knew about before, and I'd recommend those procedures
    > particularly in the case of Quicktime, which I'll never use again.
    > (Quicktime/mov files are also just made for embedding ads and other non-
    > user-friendly parasites of the digital persuasion.) However, keep in
    > mind that a portion of the dilemma is with ie/win, too.

    No reason not to start now, just uninstall QT and then install QTA!

    I discovered both a few years back when I wanted to listen to some
    online radio and they only had an RA feed. Installed RealPlayer and damn
    it if it didn't grab all my media even after registry hacking to isolate
    its domain RAMs... I was about to throw towel and say screw the online
    radio when I discovered RealAlternative. That lead me to
    QuicktimeAlternative. I dump QT too and never looked back.

    As a side note. Just installed XP, I was clinging to Win2K forever...but
    when I transfered some MP3 from Win2K to XP drive all was fine until my
    Windows Media player upgraded to v11. Now some won't play !&^%$ DRM the
    help file says something about the rights are not transfered from v9
    library to v11! Well QuicktimeAlternative & RealAlternative install
    Media Player Classic. Play all the MP3s and WMAs with no problems...No
    it doesn't have that "Oh that's pretty but I cannot find the bleeping
    controls" skin, but hey, it *plays* the media!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 27, 2007
  10. susan

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:42:14
    GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:

    >> The problem I had was with ie6 on a Windows machine. It was
    >> exceedlingly difficult to change Quicktime from being the default for
    >> certain mime types no matter what I did. Dunno about ie7, and for ff
    >> and opera, I experienced no real problem. Perhaps Sherm Pendley's
    >> method (re- defaulting WMP) is a quick-fix I just didn't think of,
    >> but I really can't remember. In any event, Jonathan N. Little has
    >> posted alterantives I wished I knew about before, and I'd recommend
    >> those procedures particularly in the case of Quicktime, which I'll
    >> never use again. (Quicktime/mov files are also just made for
    >> embedding ads and other non- user-friendly parasites of the digital
    >> persuasion.) However, keep in mind that a portion of the dilemma is
    >> with ie/win, too.
    >>

    > No reason not to start now, just uninstall QT and then install QTA!
    >
    > I discovered both a few years back when I wanted to listen to some
    > online radio and they only had an RA feed. Installed RealPlayer and
    > damn it if it didn't grab all my media even after registry hacking to
    > isolate its domain RAMs... I was about to throw towel and say screw
    > the online radio when I discovered RealAlternative. That lead me to
    > QuicktimeAlternative. I dump QT too and never looked back.
    >
    > As a side note. Just installed XP, I was clinging to Win2K
    > forever...but when I transfered some MP3 from Win2K to XP drive all
    > was fine until my Windows Media player upgraded to v11. Now some won't
    > play !&^%$ DRM the help file says something about the rights are not
    > transfered from v9 library to v11! Well QuicktimeAlternative &
    > RealAlternative install Media Player Classic. Play all the MP3s and
    > WMAs with no problems...No it doesn't have that "Oh that's pretty but
    > I cannot find the bleeping controls" skin, but hey, it *plays* the
    > media!

    ....Which, despite what Microsoft thinks, is actually the reason for the
    software.

    You sure they're mp3s, not wmas (-perhaps misidentified)? I didn't know
    one could "drm" an mp3. Furthermore, that digital rights management crap
    has made wma files, inferior anyway, the joke of the digital music age.

    When I first got wmp11, I was a bit surprised. It seemed to work pretty
    good (although what you say about the controls is true.) However, .aac
    (and .mp4) files were coming out about then, and _they_ are the latest
    word in superior digital music. Smaller size, better quality, and quite
    user-friendly. Does wmp11 support them? No, of course not. Why not?
    As I said before, because MS is just plain stupid. It's like Internet
    Explorer, but <grin> have no fear... In 5 or 6 years when ie8 comes out,
    it'll probably have most of the standards from 5 or 6 years back from
    today down pat. Had I been an MS decision-maker, I'd have busted my hump
    to support these new and desirable music formats, but they just go
    blithely along in their retrograde world asking where you want to go
    today for a good laugh or two before they dream up some new shit to
    alienate the end user. You gotta love it.

    I'll probably install QTA although I've avoided .mov files and don't have
    any on-hand. Neither do I have any .rm or rma (et al) files but since my
    box came with a registered version of RealPlayer, I think I'll leave that
    alone. My main music player (and pretty much recorder now) is Winamp
    which I liked enough to purchased the Pro version of. Musicmatch is/was
    pretty decent, too, although now it's Abode or something.

    Neredbojias, Oct 27, 2007
  11. Neredbojias wrote:

    > ...Which, despite what Microsoft thinks, is actually the reason for the
    > software.

    Seems to be a trend, MS software that worked just fine that after
    upgrade and "enhancement"...well Office and basic file management
    Explorer come to mind.

    > You sure they're mp3s, not wmas (-perhaps misidentified)? I didn't know
    > one could "drm" an mp3. Furthermore, that digital rights management crap
    > has made wma files, inferior anyway, the joke of the digital music age.

    Nope, they're mp3s. Successfully transfered my media library from old
    drive with Win2K profile to new with WinXP and worked until and my WMP
    v9 was upgraded.

    > When I first got wmp11, I was a bit surprised. It seemed to work pretty
    > good (although what you say about the controls is true.) However, .aac
    > (and .mp4) files were coming out about then, and _they_ are the latest
    > word in superior digital music. Smaller size, better quality, and quite
    > user-friendly. Does wmp11 support them? No, of course not. Why not?
    > As I said before, because MS is just plain stupid. It's like Internet
    > Explorer, but <grin> have no fear... In 5 or 6 years when ie8 comes out,
    > it'll probably have most of the standards from 5 or 6 years back from
    > today down pat. Had I been an MS decision-maker, I'd have busted my hump
    > to support these new and desirable music formats, but they just go
    > blithely along in their retrograde world asking where you want to go
    > today for a good laugh or two before they dream up some new shit to
    > alienate the end user. You gotta love it.

    Had the "pleasure" to fix a Windows Vista machine lately. Firstly it is
    amazing how much stuff (software and hardware) does *not* work on Vista.
    Get places like network adapter setting and user profile can be an
    exercise of real frustration. To transfer user profile data you need to
    have access to hidden folder within a profile. For instance move a
    Thunderbird mail account. Real easy, just move the contents "mail"
    folder to the

    [userProfile]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\[salt].default\Mail

    Piece of cake! On Linux, Win9x-XP...just show hidden and system folders,
    right? Probably on a Mac too. Not on Vista! Had to go hunting. The only
    way to get there, even while administrator, is to put the env var
    %AppData% in the Run Box!

    I can understand protecting the OS, especially from idiots, but the
    stuff in your profile folder is supposed to be, well YOURS!

    <rant>
    If I buy a CD it is mine! If I buy or build a PC, it's mine. If I buy
    WindowsWZ and put it on my computer, it's mine. If not, and WindowsWZ
    breaks or @#^%$-up my stuff, then MS should fix it on their dime if it
    is not mine!
    </rant>

    Sorry... lost it there a moment...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 27, 2007
  12. susan

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:14:31
    GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:

    >> ...Which, despite what Microsoft thinks, is actually the reason for
    >> the software.
    >>

    > Seems to be a trend, MS software that worked just fine that after
    > upgrade and "enhancement"...well Office and basic file management
    > Explorer come to mind.
    >
    >> You sure they're mp3s, not wmas (-perhaps misidentified)? I didn't
    >> know one could "drm" an mp3. Furthermore, that digital rights
    >> management crap has made wma files, inferior anyway, the joke of the
    >> digital music age.

    > Nope, they're mp3s. Successfully transfered my media library from old
    > drive with Win2K profile to new with WinXP and worked until and my WMP
    > v9 was upgraded.

    Huh. Believe it or not (-and I quite believe you), I've never run into
    an mp3 like that I couldn't play. True, I generally use Winamp, but I
    have well over 1000 mp3s on my 'puter and most of 'em (if not all) have
    been through wmp11 at some time or other. Furthermore, Winamp seems to
    honor drm on wmas. In any event, it was a stupid, bad idea - at least as
    far as major user consumption is concerned. Simple marketing research
    should have told them that (unless those "professionals" are as bogus as
    the ones at MS.)

    >> When I first got wmp11, I was a bit surprised. It seemed to work
    >> pretty good (although what you say about the controls is true.)
    >> However, .aac (and .mp4) files were coming out about then, and _they_
    >> are the latest word in superior digital music. Smaller size, better
    >> quality, and quite user-friendly. Does wmp11 support them? No, of
    >> course not. Why not? As I said before, because MS is just plain
    >> stupid. It's like Internet Explorer, but <grin> have no fear... In
    >> 5 or 6 years when ie8 comes out, it'll probably have most of the
    >> standards from 5 or 6 years back from today down pat. Had I been an
    >> MS decision-maker, I'd have busted my hump to support these new and
    >> desirable music formats, but they just go blithely along in their
    >> retrograde world asking where you want to go today for a good laugh
    >> or two before they dream up some new shit to alienate the end user.
    >> You gotta love it.

    > Had the "pleasure" to fix a Windows Vista machine lately. Firstly it
    > is amazing how much stuff (software and hardware) does *not* work on
    > Vista. Get places like network adapter setting and user profile can be
    > an exercise of real frustration. To transfer user profile data you
    > need to have access to hidden folder within a profile. For instance
    > move a Thunderbird mail account. Real easy, just move the contents
    > "mail" folder to the
    >
    > [userProfile]\Application
    > Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\[salt].default\Mail
    >
    > Piece of cake! On Linux, Win9x-XP...just show hidden and system
    > folders, right? Probably on a Mac too. Not on Vista! Had to go
    > hunting. The only way to get there, even while administrator, is to
    > put the env var %AppData% in the Run Box!

    I've heard there were troubles with Vista (MS's "last great hope" -
    'last' meaning most recent), but what choice is there? I'm still on XP,
    which is no pinnacle of excellence, either, but if/when I bought/buy a
    new box...? Sure, Lixux, Unix, Mac, etc., but except for the mac, those
    aren't really mainstream options, and technically by market-share, mac
    isn't, either. Besides, I've gotten used to what I've gotten used to.
    It's like having an old lady who doesn't put out anymore but you still
    like her pickling techniques. In the early days, there were several
    choices: TRS-80, Apple, Commodore, TI, and others. Now there's
    basically just one. Of course, one could always dump the box and get a
    cell phone thingy like the juvenile delinquents do.

    > I can understand protecting the OS, especially from idiots, but the
    > stuff in your profile folder is supposed to be, well YOURS!
    >
    > <rant>
    > If I buy a CD it is mine! If I buy or build a PC, it's mine. If I buy
    > WindowsWZ and put it on my computer, it's mine. If not, and WindowsWZ
    > breaks or @#^%$-up my stuff, then MS should fix it on their dime if it
    > is not mine!
    > </rant>
    >
    > Sorry... lost it there a moment...

    Har har hardy har har! You want _Microsoft_ to fix it? -Microsoft?? Up
    until now I thought you were a rational person.

    Btw, they came out with a Window's Update 3-4 months ago which screwed up
    lots of things. One of these "things" was making my box require a BIOS
    update to run as smoothly as it had prior to the update. Now that's the
    Microsoft we know and love so bloomin' well.

    Neredbojias, Oct 27, 2007
  13. Neredbojias wrote:

    > Har har hardy har har! You want _Microsoft_ to fix it? -Microsoft?? Up
    > until now I thought you were a rational person.

    I have no illusions. How else did big Bill get his billions. I just find
    the concept funny, you buy it, but you don't own it. You agree to accept
    any damage or harm it might do, they are not liable, but your cannot
    use it as you please nor modify it if you can fix it. You want them to
    support it you must pay them but they are no obligated to fix
    it...sweet! A one-way contract.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 27, 2007
  14. susan

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:30:40
    GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >> Har har hardy har har! You want _Microsoft_ to fix it? -Microsoft??
    >> Up until now I thought you were a rational person.

    > I have no illusions. How else did big Bill get his billions. I just
    > find the concept funny, you buy it, but you don't own it. You agree to
    > accept any damage or harm it might do, they are not liable, but your
    > cannot use it as you please nor modify it if you can fix it. You want
    > them to support it you must pay them but they are no obligated to fix
    > it...sweet! A one-way contract.

    Yep - the advantages of a de-facto monopoly. Nevertheless, I feel that
    Microsoft's biggest negatives have come later rather than earlier. I liked
    them when they first started out. Now they're just trying to make a buck
    in all possible ways determined to be available and that's gonna kill them
    in the end. You watch. The first real competitor that comes along will
    have them crapping in their pants. If that doesn't happen, they'll still
    lose by attrition of viability. I'm honestly surprised they've held sway
    for so long, anyway, because in today's world, major ineptness is generally
    not tolerated by the consumer.

    Neredbojias, Oct 28, 2007
  15. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:30:40
    > GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Har har hardy har har! You want _Microsoft_ to fix it? -Microsoft??
    >>> Up until now I thought you were a rational person.

    >> I have no illusions. How else did big Bill get his billions. I just
    >> find the concept funny, you buy it, but you don't own it. You agree to
    >> accept any damage or harm it might do, they are not liable, but your
    >> cannot use it as you please nor modify it if you can fix it. You want
    >> them to support it you must pay them but they are no obligated to fix
    >> it...sweet! A one-way contract.

    > Yep - the advantages of a de-facto monopoly. Nevertheless, I feel that
    > Microsoft's biggest negatives have come later rather than earlier. I liked
    > them when they first started out. Now they're just trying to make a buck
    > in all possible ways determined to be available and that's gonna kill them
    > in the end. You watch. The first real competitor that comes along will
    > have them crapping in their pants. If that doesn't happen, they'll still
    > lose by attrition of viability. I'm honestly surprised they've held sway
    > for so long, anyway, because in today's world, major ineptness is generally
    > not tolerated by the consumer.

    I agree. In some ways I wish for them to get really threated, and get
    them to go back to software that works for people that want to get stuff
    done.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 28, 2007
  16. susan

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:00:48
    GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:

    >> Yep - the advantages of a de-facto monopoly. Nevertheless, I feel
    >> that Microsoft's biggest negatives have come later rather than
    >> earlier. I liked them when they first started out. Now they're just
    >> trying to make a buck in all possible ways determined to be available
    >> and that's gonna kill them in the end. You watch. The first real
    >> competitor that comes along will have them crapping in their pants.
    >> If that doesn't happen, they'll still lose by attrition of viability.
    >> I'm honestly surprised they've held sway for so long, anyway,
    >> because in today's world, major ineptness is generally not tolerated
    >> by the consumer.
    >>

    > I agree. In some ways I wish for them to get really threated, and get
    > them to go back to software that works for people that want to get
    > stuff done.

    That's it exactly. As with evolution, adversity dictates progress.
    Microsoft has been _devolving_ the last decade or more, so perhaps (maybe)
    when Bill Gates kicks the bucket, some white knight will come charging in
    with an agenda containing a prime directive of something other than to
    heinously impale the public.

    Neredbojias, Oct 28, 2007