Empty space on the sides of a nested table (firefox 2.0)

ivan.svaljek

Hello, can someone please explain why there is a noticable gain of
empty space on both sides of a table nested in the second row's only
cell? It only happens when viewed in firefox; opera and ie display as
intended.
I should also mention that firefox displays ok if I remove the width
specification of cells in the nested table.

The other (smaller) problem is the small space below and above the
image-containing div. It only happens in the fourth cell in the first
row(you can see what I mean if you hover above it). This, on the other
hand, happens in all three browsers, but for the love of god can't
figure why.

http://www.stjepansvaljek.com/gallery.aspx

John Hosking

Hello, can someone please explain why there is a noticable gain of
empty space on both sides of a table nested in the second row's only
cell? It only happens when viewed in firefox; opera and ie display as
intended.

Do you mean the full-width table that shrinks to fit when I horizontally
resize the viewport? I can't tell you what that's from; it could be some
JavaScript I don't see, just the way forms or tables default in FF, or
something to do with your (weird) div#tooltip hidden in the upper-left
corner.

The whole page seems pretty complicated for what (it looks like) you're
trying do. Why all the JavaScript? And why the inline styles, since
you've got an external stylesheet anyway?

Your markup isn't quite valid (45 errors), so maybe you should look
there next.
I should also mention that firefox displays ok if I remove the width
specification of cells in the nested table.

And so...
The other (smaller) problem is the small space below and above the
image-containing div. It only happens in the fourth cell in the first
row(you can see what I mean if you hover above it). This, on the other
hand, happens in all three browsers, but for the love of god can't
figure why.

http://www.stjepansvaljek.com/gallery.aspx

That fourth image is shorter than the other three. At 84px, it doesn't
fill the same space that the others do at 93px. With about 26px padding
for all of them, the fourth div doesn't quite fill up with whiteness.

Not much help, probably, but good luck.

tomb

Hello, can someone please explain why there is a noticable gain of
empty space on both sides of a table nested in the second row's only
cell? It only happens when viewed in firefox; opera and ie display as
intended.
I should also mention that firefox displays ok if I remove the width
specification of cells in the nested table.

I would recommend specifying on the table dlPictures a width of 100%.
That tends to make my tables work well when nested.
The other (smaller) problem is the small space below and above the
image-containing div. It only happens in the fourth cell in the first
row(you can see what I mean if you hover above it). This, on the other
hand, happens in all three browsers, but for the love of god can't
figure why.

My guess would be this one image isn't as tall as the other ones, and
you have it vertically aligned in the middle, so there is a gap above
and below.

Tom

ivan.svaljek

I would recommend specifying on the table dlPictures a width of 100%.
That tends to make my tables work well when nested.

Thanks, I've tried that, but it only stretches the nested table to fit
the outer table bloated size.
I've found another reason that makes the parent cell stretch in
firefox, it's the third row left and right cells that have a width of
20%, if i remove the width specifier the outer cells shrinks to the
same size as in opera, ie.

I keep hearing that firefox is the most standard compliant browser,
but it gave me nothing but headaches thus far...
My guess would be this one image isn't as tall as the other ones, and
you have it vertically aligned in the middle, so there is a gap above
and below.

The thumbnail is smaller, but I've set the div container to be 100%
height and width of the cell it's in.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Thanks, I've tried that, but it only stretches the nested table to fit
the outer table bloated size. I've found another reason that makes
the parent cell stretch in firefox, it's the third row left and right
cells that have a width of 20%, if i remove the width specifier the
outer cells shrinks to the same size as in opera, ie.

Parent cell? I've never had a data table where a cell had a "parent
cell." Are you (ab)using tables for layout?
I keep hearing that firefox is the most standard compliant browser,

Try the Acid2 test with all your browsers.
http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/

I think you will find that, among common browsers, Opera fits that
definition best.
but it gave me nothing but headaches thus far...

After looking at your page just now, I can see why! :) Nested
tables... a plethora of divs... inline styles rather than in a
stylesheet, making maintenance a headache... the whole thing wrapped in
a form... JavaScript required...

and finally, perhaps fixing all the errors would help:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.stjepansvaljek.com/gallery.aspx>
"Failed validation, 89 Errors"

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard said:
Fire up a Windows box and look at it in Internet Excreter!

Hey, I have a dual-boot box running across the room (N, it's not
running across the room. Shut up. <g>)...lemme go switch it
over from Linux to the Dark Side...<clickety>...

OOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!