EnableSessionState=readonly and difference between InProc and StateServer mode

Jeffry van de Vuurst

Hi,

I have a page with EnableSessionState=readonly in the page directive. A
couple of strange things happen.

When I try to add something to the session, I get no exception. Immediately
after adding the dataset to the session, I can view it in my Watch window.
The watch window also shows that the session is readonly. I would expect an
exception when adding something to a readonly session.

Now the other strange thing is the difference between the InProc and
StateServer mode after adding a dataset to my readonly session. On another
page, when I use InProc and try to access the dataset that I just added to
the readonly session, it simply returns my dataset. However, when using
StateServer, it returns null.

So, first of all, I would expect an exception when adding something to a
readonly session. And second, I would expect the session to return null for
that specific key I just added.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeffry van de Vuurst