encrypting config file that aren't web config files...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ollie Riches, Dec 4, 2008.

  1. Ollie Riches

    Ollie Riches Guest

    I'm following the instructions @

    I have a config file where we store all of our connection strings. I
    would like to be able to encrypt these connections string using
    aspnet_regiis. The problem that I am running into is that the file is
    commonsettings.config and not web.config.

    aspnet_regiis. -pef connectionStrings D:\Portal\Web\bin
    \CommonSettings.config -prov "ProviderName".

    I receive an error The configuration for physical path 'D:\Portal\Web
    \bin\CommonSettings.config' cannot be opened.
    Is there a way to allow aspnet_regiis to encrypt a file that is not a
    web.config?

    Cheers

    Ollie
    Ollie Riches, Dec 4, 2008