    either .NET 1.1 or 2.0

    Thank you for your help.

    , Oct 5, 2005

  2. Are you sure you aren't talking about compression?

    Peter Rilling, Oct 5, 2005

  3. Scott Allen Guest

    Like Peter said, you are looking for compression, not encryption. In
    2.0 there are compression classes available, but for 1.x you'll need
    to find a third party library (try searching the web for SharpZipLib).

    What you describe (taking a long document and generating a string of X
    characters) is available, but it is known as a hash. A hash is
    irreversible, so you can't pass the hash to an algorithm and get the
    original document back.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Oct 5, 2005

    You know, when I was typing this out last night, it didn't even cross
    my mind to think about compression as it is probably the right way to
    go, so much for thinking clearly after a long day.

    What I am looking to do is to take a .INI file I have for an applicaton
    I have created and compress that data down to a nominal size. So in
    other words, take the contents of the .INI file and make that ini file
    now be:

    compresseddatahere.test

    There is a good reason as to why I want to do this according to the way
    the application works and it's deployment over the web so please bear
    with me if it sounds kind of a dumb thing to do. I was looking into
    encryption originally since I was thinking that since I really don't
    want people nosing around with the data inside of the ini file, that
    would have been the best way to go.

    , Oct 5, 2005