eng/rus in pages

Luigi Donatello Asero

Lüpher Cypher said:
It does not matter, it's just a filename. If your system supports it,
it'll be ok. But if the server does not, or you need to read a file with
a "non-standard" name from a server, it may not work. Filenames have
nothing to do with this..

lüph

Well, I guess I have to get in touch with my webhost in this case.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Lüpher Cypher said:
The ftp client you're using has nothing to do with it. The doctype, as
far as I know, does not define which lang you use, it is mostly info. It
is rather encoding that is used in meta tag. Although, I am not that
savvy, maybe some tags as doctype or something do make difference :) But
it's definetely not the ftp client.

lüph

I tried to install the ftp software on another computer which runs WinXP and
it did not work.
So, what I said was based on my personal experience.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

rf

Luigi said:
Well, actually, I guess that I have already done it because I am posting in
UTF-8

No you have not. You would know if you did. It is not a trivial exercise.

If your newsreader is capable of UTF-8 it does *not* mean your underlying
operating system is so capable. Your browser is also capable of UTF-8 (if
you have let it download the required language pack) and probably unicode
and others (you *have* downloaded or accepted language packs because your
site is in multpile European languages). Your operating system (98) is *not*
unicode compliant and your notpad and your wordpad are not[1].
Well, actually, I said that because I tested it!

Er, in fact it is the other way round. Your ftp program is not compatible
with XP is a more correct statement.

If your ftp program, whatever it is, does not run on XP then it is broken.
Severly. Replace it with a program that works.
There is a new version of the software which seems to be compatible but I do
not know, yet, how to buy it without using credit cards, that mean by cash
or by invoice.

Yeah, whatever. Paranoia. I buy something every week via internet and using
my credit card. I also buy petrol at the local petrol shop with my credit
card and that is *far* less secure. But you should know about that, with
your https and all :)

Anyway who actually pays money for an ftp program these days. There are
hundreds of them available freeware. &deity, it would take me less than an
hour to write one myself. That reminds me, I had to write an ftp client to
fit into one of my software packages about ten years ago. Took me, actualy,
two hours then. These days .NET comes with a file system that does not
distinguish between the local file system, ftp, http, telnet and a couple of
other things. Just open the file dammit Jim!

[1] Must fire up a 98 notepad (I have one laying around somewhere) to
confirm this :)

Cheers
Richard.

Jonathan N. Little

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
I tried to install the ftp software on another computer which runs WinXP and
it did not work.
So, what I said was based on my personal experience.

Ok, I'll bite! What is this mysterious FTP program that you purchased?

Luigi Donatello Asero

rf said:
Luigi said:
installed
the

Well, actually, I guess that I have already done it because I am posting in
UTF-8

No you have not. You would know if you did. It is not a trivial exercise.

If your newsreader is capable of UTF-8 it does *not* mean your underlying
operating system is so capable. Your browser is also capable of UTF-8 (if
you have let it download the required language pack) and probably unicode
and others (you *have* downloaded or accepted language packs because your
site is in multpile European languages). Your operating system (98) is *not*
unicode compliant and your notpad and your wordpad are not[1].

Richard, I think that I have already installed these packs before.
use

Er, in fact it is the other way round. Your ftp program is not compatible
with XP is a more correct statement.

I suppose that the program is older than XP.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero

Jonathan N. Little said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

Ok, I'll bite! What is this mysterious FTP program that you purchased?

Internet Neighborhood 4.5, I think.
It is a very old version.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Guest

Luigi said:
Well, I guess I have to get in touch with my webhost in this case.

I would suggest using latin letters in filenames - all systems support
them. Or use latin letters to spell whatever it is :)

lüph

Jonathan N. Little

Luigi said:
Internet Neighborhood 4.5, I think.
It is a very old version.
The 5.x version does support XP, but my suggestion is DUMP IT. Lots of
free FTP clients out there:

http://www.nonags.com/nonags/ftpc.html

Folks seem to like that Filezilla, there is also an extension for
FireFox, FireFTP, thats both free and popular and as you have been
advised you should install FireFox.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Jonathan N. Little said:
The 5.x version does support XP, but my suggestion is DUMP IT. Lots of
free FTP clients out there:

http://www.nonags.com/nonags/ftpc.html

Folks seem to like that Filezilla, there is also an extension for
FireFox, FireFTP, thats both free and popular and as you have been
advised you should install FireFox.

I know that there are some of you who seem to prefer other FTP clients, but
I have used
Internet Neighborhood 4.5 for some years and I think that it would be
easier for me to upgrade to the last version rather than
change to a completely different software.
In fact, I would also like to learn to use Linux and this would probably
suit to other ftp clients as well
as well but everything takes time, so I do not think that it would be so
practical to learn so many things at the same time.
Therefore it might be better easier for me to buy the latest version of
Internet Neighborhood.
The only problem is how to buy it on cash or by invoice.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero

Lüpher Cypher said:
I would suggest using latin letters in filenames - all systems support
them. Or use latin letters to spell whatever it is :)

lüph

Ok.
At the moment I am testing.
I have this page
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.html
It displays Chinese as well but when I open Notepad it does not format
properly.
--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Jonathan N. Little

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

I know that there are some of you who seem to prefer other FTP clients, but
I have used
Internet Neighborhood 4.5 for some years and I think that it would be
easier for me to upgrade to the last version rather than
change to a completely different software.

The all pretty much work and look very similar. Did you browse the link?
They have screenshots!

In fact, I would also like to learn to use Linux and this would probably
suit to other ftp clients as well

Linux, huh. Yeah....
as well but everything takes time, so I do not think that it would be so
practical to learn so many things at the same time.
Therefore it might be better easier for me to buy the latest version of
Internet Neighborhood.
The only problem is how to buy it on cash or by invoice.
Crack out your dictionary and look up the word 'free'. In other words
credit card, cash or invoice needed!

Luigi Donatello Asero

Jonathan N. Little said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

The all pretty much work and look very similar. Did you browse the link?
They have screenshots!

Ehm.. which link now?

Linux, huh. Yeah....

Sooner or later I shall probably test it.
Crack out your dictionary and look up the word 'free'. In other words
credit card, cash or invoice needed!

Ehm.. what do you mean?
Free is also ok
Free, cash or invoice are ok
I do not want to pay by using credit cards.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia/vaestra-goetaland/goeteborg/amundoen.php

Jonathan N. Little

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
Ehm.. what do you mean?
Free is also ok
Free, cash or invoice are ok
I do not want to pay by using credit cards.

What I am trying to tell your are many, like Filezilla and FireFTP are
FREE. That is you DO NOT have to pay anything! Forget cash invoice or
credit cards....

The link was:

http://www.nonags.com/nonags/ftpc.html

The link above with the 'http://' it's a URL, depending on your
newsreader it may be clickable, if not, copy to your browser Address bar.

rf

Luigi said:
No you have not. You would know if you did. It is not a trivial exercise.

If your newsreader is capable of UTF-8 it does *not* mean your underlying
operating system is so capable. Your browser is also capable of UTF-8 (if
you have let it download the required language pack) and probably unicode
and others (you *have* downloaded or accepted language packs because your
site is in multpile European languages). Your operating system (98) is *not*
unicode compliant and your notpad and your wordpad are not[1].

Richard, I think that I have already installed these packs before.

You "think"? Well, if you only think you have then you have not.

You would "remember" downloading the 260K microsoft layer for unicode
install, unicows.exe and you would surely remember running it.

<aside>
I may be wrong in my thoughts here, I have never installed MSLU. From
reading the documentation it may appear that it only provides support for
running unicode applications under 16 bit windows. It does *not* provide
these applications (notepad etc).

In any case MSLU does not, AFAICT, provide any input methods, which are
required for entering asian language text (or any other unicode text for
that matter).
</aside>

As for Chinese windows you would most certainly "remember" installing that.
The entire install process is in Chinese.

Just dump windows 98 and move on to XP (which is nothing special, being
simply Windows NT version 5.1).

Cheers
Richard.

Luigi Donatello Asero

rf said:
Luigi said:
[...]

As I have already probably explained to you, I have WinXP on another
computer but the editor I use does not support it.
And I prefer to use this editor or to uppgrade it if possible.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php

paulgor

Hello!
Is there a way to combine english and russian characters in pages
without the use of unicodes (#xxxx;)? Unicode is fine, since it's always
displayed correctly, but it takes too much time to edit it..

You are right - it would be too tedious to create sites this way.
As you can imagine, Russian developers do NOT do that :)

Moreover, in all of the above discussion the WRONG assumption was used:
- "to have English and Russian characters one needs to create
a Unicode, UTF-8 page"

Why??? Russian 8-bit letter is NO different in any way that say an
accented
Italian letter, so:

- developers in Italy or Germany or France do NOT create UTF-8
pages (UTF-8 characters) to have say English and Italian letters on a
page.
No, they use a legacy, "good old" national encoding -
"Western European" and have their REGULAR national letters in the
.html text
and state that fact (what the real data is) in the META line:

- _absolutely_ the same thing people do while creating a page with
English
and Russian (or English+Polish or English+Greek or any other
non-Western) -
they use their REGULAR letters (not UTF-8 characters) - in their good
old
legacy encoding. For Russian it's "Cyrillic(Windows)" -
and state that fact (what the real data is) in the META line:

..
Please read more in the section devoted exactly to this subject -
"For developers: Russian HTML"
of my site
"Cyrillic (Russian): instructions for Windows and Internet":
http://RusWin.net