&ensp in a monospaced font

Toby A Inkster

Ben said:
These are all the ones I could find in the Scrabble dictionary of
pointless but high-scoring words and various other word lists I have on
my computer:

bookkeeper
bookkeepers
bookkeeping
bookkeeping

The Moby word list gives me:

AAAAAA
bookkeep
bookkeeper
bookkeeper's
bookkeepers
bookkeeping
bookkeepings
bookkeeps
SSTTSS
subbookkeeper

I assume that AAAAAA and SSTTSS are abbreviations of some kind, though I
have no idea what they are supposed to stand for.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 34 days, 15:36.]

Bottled Water
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/02/18/bottled-water/

Toby A Inkster

Michael said:
Els wrote

"Angstschrei" in German, quite similar.

And "angst-scream" would probably be understood by most English speakers,
though you wouldn't find it in a dictionary. However the word "angst" has
different connotations in English -- it would be more of a "scream of
bother".

I always delight in seeing these little cognates between the Germanic
languages. The languages are really a lot closer together than people give
them credit for -- especially the rarely used words, which haven't had
such an opportunity to mutate. Frisian (spoken in some coastal regions of
the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark) sounds almost like English spoken in
a very funny accent.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 34 days, 15:41.]

Bottled Water
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/02/18/bottled-water/

Andreas Prilop

Likewise, character sets, fonts, and Unicode exist without regard to
HTML, and I would expect that whenever HTML doesn't specify otherwise,
text will be displayed in the prevailing manner, which, as I observed
above, at least IMO, means that each character is displayed, and
they aren't arbitrarily collapsed.

Collapsing of white space characters is one of the differences
between text/plain and text/html.

Harlan Messinger

Els said:
Yup, quite so.
But, do you also have as many words with consecutive triplets of
doubled letters? :)

Nope! German doesn't do much in the way of doubled vowels the way Dutch
does, varying between single- and double syllable-final consonants
instead, along with "ah", "eh", "ie", "oh", and "uh", to signal vowel
length/quality. Exceptions include "Staat" and "Meer".

Harlan Messinger

Els said:
Not too bad for a non-Dutch person then - at least you knew where to
find the consonants, even if the two words didn't match together :)

'chts' wasn't a bad attempt either.
Geslachtsgemeenschap came to mind right away as a consonant-heavy word,
so that helped even though it only had five consecutive consonants
itself. Imagine a Brazilian pronouncing it, though: gslachtsgmeenschp.
Twelve consonant sounds in two syllables! Those people dispense with
more vowels when they speak.

Els

Harlan said:
Geslachtsgemeenschap came to mind right away as a consonant-heavy word,
so that helped even though it only had five consecutive consonants
itself. Imagine a Brazilian pronouncing it, though: gslachtsgmeenschp.

They just say 'sexo' :)
Twelve consonant sounds in two syllables! Those people dispense with
more vowels when they speak.

Not seeing what you mean there really - Brazilians actually do it the
other way round - they *add* vowels between 'hard' consonants. For
example the word 'ignorante', is pronouned 'iginorante'.

Els

Els said:
the word 'ignorante', is pronouned 'iginorante'.

Not. It's pronounced 'iguinorante'. They just add the 'i', but by
spelling it as I did, the sound of the 'g' would change, and it
doesn't.

Harlan Messinger

Els said:
They just say 'sexo' :)

Not seeing what you mean there really - Brazilians actually do it the
other way round - they *add* vowels between 'hard' consonants. For
example the word 'ignorante', is pronouned 'iginorante'.

Really? It was my impression that they swallowed as many vowels as
possible. Or maybe it's the Portuguese I'm thinking of, who swallow
their final "e" where Brazilians turn them into "i".

Els

Harlan Messinger wrote:

[Brazilian]
Really? It was my impression that they swallowed as many vowels as
possible. Or maybe it's the Portuguese I'm thinking of, who swallow
their final "e" where Brazilians turn them into "i".

Yup, that's a fact. And because they think 'ti' doesn't sound right
(or maybe it's difficult to pronounce?), they make it sound like
'tchi' or 'tyi' (y as in yes). So really, 'ignorante' becomes
'iguinorantchi'. Same as in the sound of a clock - where we say 'tick
tock', they say 'tchik tock' :)

Blinky the Shark

Toby said:
And "angst-scream" would probably be understood by most English speakers,
though you wouldn't find it in a dictionary. However the word "angst" has
different connotations in English -- it would be more of a "scream of
bother".

I always delight in seeing these little cognates between the Germanic
languages. The languages are really a lot closer together than people give
them credit for -- especially the rarely used words, which haven't had
such an opportunity to mutate. Frisian (spoken in some coastal regions of
the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark) sounds almost like English spoken in
a very funny accent.

Ah! Kind of like English the way the Brits speak it. ;)

Michael Fesser

..oO(Neredbojias)
Brits don't speak English; they sort of gargle it.

"We're going to be speaking English, because we're English and German
people speak better English than we speak English." ;)

[George Hinchliffe of the "Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain" at a
concert in Berlin]

Micha

Neredbojias

.oO(Neredbojias)
Brits don't speak English; they sort of gargle it.

"We're going to be speaking English, because we're English and German
people speak better English than we speak English." ;)

[George Hinchliffe of the "Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain" at a
concert in Berlin]

Years ago I met this German who had come to the USA after WWII. In all
honesty, he spoke better English than I or most long-term American people
did. (He also spoke excellent German.) Now Werner von Braun - he still
sounds like mashed potatoes in the mouth.

Stan Brown

I've found it in the manual, it's the joinspaces option, and it is on by
default:

'joinspaces' 'js' boolean (default on)
global
{not in Vi}
Insert two spaces after a '.', '?' and '!' with a join command.

WITH A JOIN COMMAND. Not routinely in ordinary typing, which I
thought we were talking about.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you

Ben C

WITH A JOIN COMMAND. Not routinely in ordinary typing, which I
thought we were talking about.

I was talking about the gq command which apparently does a join, since
it applies whatever you have set for joinspaces. What do you use to wrap
paragraphs? Perhaps you use auto-formatting.

Raymond SCHMIT

Not sure what you mean by "conventional." Whose convention? Specified
when? In what context? Defined by whom for what?

It sure was how I was taught touch typing in 1963. Period, space space.
I might even have an old style manual around here somewhere. If I do
I'll look it up. But, my memory is firm on that, and so is the memory
built into my touch-typing finger tips.

I agree, the Web is different. Not sure why the decision was made on
collapsing spaces was made. Not sure it makes any sense to me at all.
But, ok, that's the way it is, fine, I'll get with the program when
working on the Web. No problem. I'm still curious how and why that
decision was made to abandon an long standard practice.

It is typically a US habit. Some editors even ADD a second space after
a period automatically when paragraphs are reformatted. I think the
practice dates from the monospace typewriter era. -- Viajero 17:42, 25
Oct 2003 (UTC)

Here in Europe we always use 1 space.

But may be the world changes ...
"AP Writing Style" is one space after a period. 19 December 2006

Go to http://www.apstylebook.com/ask_editor.php
and.... search "spaces after a period"

David Stone

Not sure what you mean by "conventional." Whose convention? Specified
when? In what context? Defined by whom for what?

It sure was how I was taught touch typing in 1963. Period, space space.
I might even have an old style manual around here somewhere. If I do
I'll look it up. But, my memory is firm on that, and so is the memory
built into my touch-typing finger tips.
[snip]

It is typically a US habit. Some editors even ADD a second space after
a period automatically when paragraphs are reformatted. I think the
practice dates from the monospace typewriter era. -- Viajero 17:42, 25
Oct 2003 (UTC)

Here in Europe we always use 1 space.

Not in the UK when I was there. However, I think it was originally
a typewriter thing. Publishers tend (or at least, tended) to use a
long space after a period, rather than a regular single space. The
only way to do the same thing on a monospaced typewriter was to hit
the space bar twice.

As a point of reference, the writer's guides for the two publishers
I've been involved with have specified that the submitted electronic
version of the manuscript should only have a single space after the
period; their computerized typesetter automatically converts ". "
into whatever is required by the publishers specific design guidelines.