Error connecting to Oracle

Robin9876

Using some .Net code to connect to Oracle the follow error message is
now being displayed

File or assembly name Oracle.DataAccess, or one of its dependencies,
was not found.
Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly
name Oracle.DataAccess, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

This section of code has not been changed and the a test ODBC
connection can be successfully made from the web server. In the
Windows path is the folder containing the dll as the first folder
location.

Does anybody know why this error is occurring and how to resolve it?

Angel

Is this existing code that stopped working or are you doing this from the
first time?

If new then

Suggest you use oracle native driver
System.Data.OracleClient

You'll have to get used to name prefix change but it works well an reliable

OracleConnection, OracleDataAdapter, etc...

otherwise post some code so we can troubleshoot further

Robin9876

The code has not changed and is in VS 2003 and is using
Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleDataReader to return a datareader
object.

Angel

In framework 1.1

The Microsoft Native client for oralce is: System.Data.OracleClient

Oracle's drivers for .Net are generally named: Oracle.DataAccess

I am not sure if the old driver is compatible (it should be)

Make sure your new 2.0 project has a reference to that dll (Oracle.DataAccess)

I think that's your problem.

Regards,

Robin9876

I have since found that there is a slightly different version build
between development and production servers. The development server has
Oracle.DataAccess.dll v9.2.0.700 and the production server has
v9.2.0.401 , would this Oracle dll version have this impact on the
system if the code has since been compiled and deployed?

Angel

Normally not... I have not ran into some security issues with regards to
oracle profiles but overall my code works basically the same all across the
board. I will run some test here in my lab to see if I can spot any issues.
Generally, I have not experienced any problem between versions of the
drivers although, I tend to choose the Microsoft’s version of the Oracle
driver rather than Oracle’s version.