Error Creating Web Site since 2003 Server Service Pack 1

Peter D. Dunlap

I have a number of web sites on my 2003 server, each of the
independent sites (i.e., not subdirectories of the localhost site).
The way I have always set these up in the past is:

1. Create a directory "MySiteName" and a subdirectory "Site".

2. Share the "Site" subdirectory is "MySiteNameSite$", and give the
local administrators group full access to the share. (The login I run
under is a member of that group.)

3. Add a DNS entry mysitename.pdunlap.net with the IP of the server.

4. Create a web site in IIS with the host header
mysitename.pdunlap.net, pointing to the "Site" subdirectory.

5. In VS 2003, running ON THE SERVER, I create a blank solution in
"MySiteName".

6. Add an ASP.NET web application to the solution at
http://mysitename.pdunlap.net.

7. It complains about that URL and asks for a different location, and
I enter \\localhost\MySiteNameSite$.

8. Presto, the web site is created.

However, since I installed Service Pack 1, I get two errors after step
7. The errors are:

The Web was created successfully, but an error occurred when trying to
configure the application root for this Web. Web projects may not
operate correctly without an application root. The returned error was:
Active Directory Services cannot find the web server. A possible cause
for this is an incompatibility between versions of Internet
Information Server (IIS) on the client and the server. The usual cause
for this error is creating Web projects on a Windows 2000 or newer
server from a Windows NT 4.0 client. You can manually configure the
application root using the Internet Services Manager.

and

Unable to set the permissions on the 'bin' folder to restrict browse
access. Active Directory Services cannot find the web server. A
possible cause for this is an incompatibility bwtween versions of
Internet Information Server (IIS) on the client and the server. The
usual cause for this error is creating Web projects on a Windows 2000
or newer server from a Windows NT 4.0 client. You can manually
restrict browse access to this folder using the Internet Services
Manager.

The answers I have found to this all seem to point to cases where VS
is running on a different machine than the server, but in this case
there is only one machine involved. I did notice that when IIS creates
the site there is an additional permission checkbox concerning running
ASP scripts that I don't think was there before, and I check that.

This only started happening when I installed Service Pack 1, and I'm
about ready to yank it back out...

Pete Dunlap