Error: The transport failed to connect to the server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nathan Sokalski, Dec 8, 2006.

  1. I am attempting to send an email using ASP.NET 1.1's Mail.SmtpMail.Send()
    method. My code contains all of the following:

    Dim mailmsg As New Mail.MailMessage
    Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer =
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("smtpserver")
    mailmsg.BodyFormat = Mail.MailFormat.Text

    mailmsg.Subject = "My Subject"
    mailmsg.Body = "My Body"
    mailmsg.To = ";"
    mailmsg.From = "My From Address"

    Mail.SmtpMail.Send(mailmsg)

    When I test the application, I recieve the following error:

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    The transport failed to connect to the server.

    Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The
    transport failed to connect to the server.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [COMException (0x80040213): The transport failed to connect to the server.
    ]

    [TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
    invocation.]
    System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
    Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture,
    String[] namedParameters) +0
    System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
    Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers,
    CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) +473
    System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String
    methodName, Object[] args) +58

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]
    System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String
    methodName, Object[] args) +113
    System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846
    System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +150
    AFBE.addathlete.SendEmailNotification(String id)
    AFBE.addathlete.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    eventArgument) +57
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
    Version:1.1.4322.2032

    What am I forgetting here? Or is my webhost simply down right now? Thanks.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    Nathan Sokalski, Dec 8, 2006

  2. Nathan Sokalski

    bruce barker Guest

    the error is pretty clear. the smtp connection settings are not correct.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Dec 8, 2006

  3. Nathan Sokalski

    Ricky Yau Guest

    one of the possible reason is your smtp server requires a login, contact
    your system administrator about that. in .Net framework 1.1, you can use the
    fields from the Mail object to add the attribute to pass the login
    (username, password, smtpserver, smtpserver port number). Let me know if you
    need the codes.

    --ricky

    Ricky Yau, Dec 9, 2006
  4. I concur.

    The mail page/app is not able to connect to the smtp server.

    Nathan should look into naming or availability issues.

    I once got that message when I used "localhost" as my smtp server name.

    When I created an smtp server virtual instance named for my machine's name,
    everything worked, although I still had mail rejection problems ( mail servers don't
    like receiving mail from single-name machines, instead of from properly-named mail servers ).

    They went away when I used my domain name, instead of my machine name,
    after creating an smtp virtual server named for my domain.

    I removed the following two newsgroups from the address list :

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet
    and
    microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

    The problem is not related to a database nor to the VB language.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 9, 2006
  5. Yes, I think I do need them. Thanks.

    Nathan Sokalski, Dec 9, 2006
  6. Nathan Sokalski

    Ricky Yau Guest

    here you go:

    objEmail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver",
    yourSMTPServer);
    objEmail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport",
    25); //maybe a different port, 25 is the default
    objEmail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing",
    2);
    objEmail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate",
    1);