error while trying to run project

ray well

hi,

i tried to run a asp .net project in debug mode, setting breakpoints along
the way to debug some problem, and i get a error message "error while trying
to run project", with no explaination of why this is.

i thought maybe this is because of some problem in my program, so i opened a
new web application, with a single button with some simple code in it, and
got the same result.

why is this happening, and what can i do to be able to run my web
application in debug mode?

thanks

ray

Brock Allen

To debug you need to specifically enable debugging in the web.config file:

<configuration>
<system.web>
<compilation
defaultLanguage="c#"
debug="true"
/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

ray well

i found the problem, i tried running it as 'start without debugging' and it
gave me an error can't find 'xiexplore.exe'.

(i caught a spy bot that changes my home page to 'about:blank' some time
ago, in my attempt to rid of it i tried and renamed 'iexplore.exe' to
'xiexplore.exe' for a while, when it didn't help me, i renamed it back to
'iexplore.exe'.)

but my .net development environment is still looking for 'xiexplore.exe' (i
don't remember telling it to do so.). i tried renaming 'iexplore.exe' to
'xiexplore.exe' and was able to debug normally.

i wonder where it is told to the .net delvelopment environment, to look for
'xiexplore.exe' instead of 'iexplore.exe'.

i looked thru the registry looking for 'xiexplore.exe', and it wasn't
anywhere in the registry.

any idea where the .net development is told to look for 'xiexplore.exe' so i
can change it?

thanks,

ray

Karl Seguin

HAHAHA..seriously, you rename your iexplorer.exe at your own risk :p you
are more ballsy than I would have been....maybe if you just try to create a
shortcut named "xiexporer.exe" which points to the real one?

You can also try to see if resetting IE in VS.Net via "File" --> "Browse
With..."

hope that helps,
Karl
--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
annoying)

ray well

hi karl,

thanks for the suggestion.

i tried resetting there, it didn't work. i even explicitly browsed to pick
up iexplore.exe.

help

ray

Karl Seguin

I seriously don't know :) You might wanna try a VS.Net specific newsgroup,
like microsoft.public.vsnet.ide

Karl