eRuby on Mac OS X

Kevin M

I'm trying to get eRuby and mod_ruby running on OS X (Panther).
mod_ruby seems to be working fine, but if I try to enable eRuby,
Apache can't start up and writes the following to the error log:

dyld: /usr/sbin/httpd Undefined symbols:
_rb_cObject
_rb_check_type
_rb_data_object_alloc
_rb_define_class_under
_rb_define_method
_rb_define_module

So I'm guessing it's trying to dynamically link to libruby and
failing...or something...I have no idea what to do about that. Any
ideas?

I found quite a few postings with the same problem as this, but
unfortunately couldn't find any answers :-(

Thanks,
Kevin

Gennady

The following combination works fine for me:

Mac OS X 10.3.2 (Panther)
Ruby 1.8.1 Final (--enable-shared)
Apache 2.0.48
mod_ruby 1.1.1 (--with-apxs)
eruby 1.0.4 (--enable-shared)

Gennady.

I'm trying to get eRuby and mod_ruby running on OS X (Panther).
mod_ruby seems to be working fine, but if I try to enable eRuby,
Apache can't start up and writes the following to the error log:

dyld: /usr/sbin/httpd Undefined symbols:
_rb_cObject
_rb_check_type
_rb_data_object_alloc
_rb_define_class_under
_rb_define_method
_rb_define_module

So I'm guessing it's trying to dynamically link to libruby and
failing...or something...I have no idea what to do about that. Any
ideas?

I found quite a few postings with the same problem as this, but
unfortunately couldn't find any answers :-(

Thanks,
Kevin

Sincerely,
Gennady Bystritsky

Kevin M

The following combination works fine for me:
Mac OS X 10.3.2 (Panther)
Ruby 1.8.1 Final (--enable-shared)
Apache 2.0.48
mod_ruby 1.1.1 (--with-apxs)
eruby 1.0.4 (--enable-shared)

Thanks for the info. Is there a reason you are using Apache 2 (as in,
does it not work with the version that's ditributed with OS X? I'd
been trying with that). I had eRuby 1.0.5 and mod_ruby 1.0.7 (same
Ruby & OS X versions as you though).

I tried reconfiguring everything with parameters as above, doing a
make clean; make; make install, and now I get an error_log message
saying BUS ERROR instead, and Apache still won't start. Perhaps I've
made it worse :)

One last question though -- will the 'make install' overwrite files as
necessary, or might there be something left over I have to clean up
manually? Sorry if these are dumb questions - I'm still a bit new to
this :)

Cheers,
Kevin

Gennady

Kevin said:
Thanks for the info. Is there a reason you are using Apache 2 (as in,
does it not work with the version that's ditributed with OS X? I'd
been trying with that). I had eRuby 1.0.5 and mod_ruby 1.0.7 (same
Ruby & OS X versions as you though).

I was about to compile Apache anyway to include some specific options,
so the choice for the latest version was merely because I wanted to stay
with it as long as possible.
I tried reconfiguring everything with parameters as above, doing a
make clean; make; make install, and now I get an error_log message
saying BUS ERROR instead, and Apache still won't start. Perhaps I've
made it worse :)

You are almost there ;-) -- BUS ERROR was exactly what I got with
mod_ruby 1.0.7 -- version 1.1.1 (listed as development at the time I
checked) has some serious fixes for that.

I do not know if it matters or not, however I compiled everything ruby
related with --prefix=/usr, as I noticed that some software (I do not
remember what in particular) defaults to prefix /usr, while other to
/usr/local on Mac OS X.
One last question though -- will the 'make install' overwrite files as
necessary, or might there be something left over I have to clean up
manually? Sorry if these are dumb questions - I'm still a bit new to
this :)

'make install' will overwrite files, however if some files are not used
by a newer version, they will not be removed. So you may end up with
some unnecessary garbage. That's why I usually try to remove everything
that I know of manually before running 'make install'.

Kevin M

mod_ruby 1.1.1 (--with-apxs)

Just to follow up: getting a newer mod_ruby solved my problem. Thanks again...