example c++ projects

Leslaw Bieniasz

Hi,

I am looking for examples of simple C++ projects aimed
at teaching students (first year introductory course) of
object-oriented programming using C++. Any pointers
will be appreciated.

L.B.

!!! PLEASE NOTE MY NEW ADDRESS SINCE January 1st, 2008, INDICATED BELOW !!!
| Dr. Leslaw Bieniasz, |
| Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences,|
| Department (not yet known) |
| ul. Niezapominajek 8, 30-239 Cracow, Poland. |
| tel./fax: +48 (12) (not yet known) |
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed) |
| Interested in Computational Electrochemistry? |
| Visit my web site: http://www.cyf-kr.edu.pl/~nbbienia |

Salt_Peter

Hi,

I am looking for examples of simple C++ projects aimed
at teaching students (first year introductory course) of
object-oriented programming using C++. Any pointers
will be appreciated.

L.B.

Why not start with some formal specification of what you want to teach
in the course first.
A list if you will.

example:
What is a primitive type?
What is a Variable?
What types of variables are there?
What is a modifier?
What is the lifetime of a variable?
What is a Pointer?
What is a Reference?
What is a Function?
What is a Function signature?
What is an l-value and an r-value?
What is a user-type?
What is a member of the type?
What is a member function?
What is a const member function?
What is a ctor?
What is a copy ctor?
What is an operator?
What is an assignment operator?
Which ctors and operators are provided for you if not supplied?
What is polymorphism?

(in no particular order)

Once you know what you want, making an example should be relatively
easy.
Surely, you aren't going to build a course based on what examples
you've managed to gather.

Erik Wikström

Hi,

I am looking for examples of simple C++ projects aimed
at teaching students (first year introductory course) of
object-oriented programming using C++. Any pointers
will be appreciated.

Many good books on the subjects includes exercises, some also have
bigger ones. In The C++ Programming Language there a a few larger ones
and a number of them also depend on earlier exercises so you can combine
a few into on bigger. None of those I looked at seemed to be very large,
max a few weeks depending on the tempo of the course, but if the student
are new to programming in general you probably do not want to have too
large projects anyway since it will take some of the focus away from the
programming.