    if so, what module should i use?
    thanks
    , Aug 10, 2006

  2. > is it possible to create excel files using python in Unix env?

    Yes. An Excel file is just a sequence of bytes, and Python can write
    sequences of bytes just fine. So can many other languages, but why
    would you want to use anything but Python?

    That's a useless answer to your question, I know. Perhaps in the
    future you may wish to consider asking a more focused question: it
    helps people understand precisely what you want to know, and helps
    people avoid giving you true-but-useless answers. :)

    > if so, what module should i use?

    Python does not have built-in support for Excel-formatted data.
    Microsoft Excel is a closed source program with a proprietary data
    format, as evidenced by the extreme difficulty competing spreadsheet
    software has in correctly implementing the format. More than that,
    attempting to do so would very possibly open Python up to some
    unpleasant corners of IP law.

    I'd suggest using the formats of Gnumeric or OpenOffice, since those
    are open and fully documented. When you're done, just load them up in
    Gnumeric or OpenOffice and use those apps to export them to Microsoft
    Excel. OpenOffice is scriptable--I don't know about Gnumeric--so this
    will probably not be unduly painful.

    That said, I certainly haven't tried it.
    Robert J. Hansen, Aug 10, 2006

  3. John Machin Guest

    John Machin, Aug 10, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > hi
    > is it possible to create excel files using python in Unix env?
    > if so, what module should i use?
    > thanks

    You might want to give pyExelerator a try:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator

    Remark: I had the problem of having a bunch of Data on my Linux machine and
    some students to teach, who didn't know anything of Linux. (And OpenOffice
    was not capable of doing what I wanted it to do, btw.) So I choosed
    pyExelerator in combination with PreExisting EXCEL-Sheets.

    Cheers,
    Christian
    Christian Meesters, Aug 10, 2006

    wrote:
    > hi
    > is it possible to create excel files using python in Unix env?
    > if so, what module should i use?
    > thanks

    Depending on the complexity of your data you might find the csv module
    useful. It allows you to write comma separated value (.csv) files that
    Excel reads just fine.
    , Aug 10, 2006
  6. Harry George Guest

    "" <> writes:

    > wrote:
    > > hi
    > > is it possible to create excel files using python in Unix env?
    > > if so, what module should i use?
    > > thanks

    > Depending on the complexity of your data you might find the csv module
    > useful. It allows you to write comma separated value (.csv) files that
    > Excel reads just fine.

    We use the csv module a lot. I've also investigated the old DIF and
    SLK formats for slightly more functoinality. But the coming
    standards-based world, if you need more than csv, start writing to to
    the OpenOffice.org formats, either with your own code or via PyUNO.
    Then use OOo itself or a MS-sponsored ODF reader to translate to Excel
    format. This should be a maintainable approach over time (but a lot
    more complex than just csv).

    --
    Harry George
    PLM Engineering Architecture