Exception when sending mail

Seguros Catatumbo

Hello, my webhost is somehow sending a (nonstandard?) message, when a
mailbox is full the message doesn't even get sent and i get a small
window in any MUA telling me that the mailbox is full, instead of
letting the mail go through and then send back a message with the
error.

This behaviour is causing classic asp's mail send object to fail
without any details of the error.

Is there a way for me to avoid this error and continue processing the
asp page? I only know of the "on error resume next" method, but if i
do that, it will not catch the other possible errors and redirect to
my error 500 page.

Anthony Jones

Seguros Catatumbo said:
Hello, my webhost is somehow sending a (nonstandard?) message, when a
mailbox is full the message doesn't even get sent and i get a small
window in any MUA telling me that the mailbox is full, instead of
letting the mail go through and then send back a message with the
error.

This behaviour is causing classic asp's mail send object to fail
without any details of the error.

Is there a way for me to avoid this error and continue processing the
asp page? I only know of the "on error resume next" method, but if i
do that, it will not catch the other possible errors and redirect to
my error 500 page.

I'm a little confused by the above description. If the send fails without
any details does that mean there isn't even an error number? If there is no
error thrown on error resume next wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Can you provide more detail and perhaps a little code?

Seguros Catatumbo

I'm a little confused by the above description.  If the send fails without
any details does that mean there isn't even an error number?  If there is no
error thrown on error resume next wouldn't make any difference anyway.

The http erros is 500, but there doesn't seem to be an asp error
number.
This is some of the code i have on my errorpage.asp (that is used when
error 500 happens)

set objError = Server.getLastError()
number = objError.AspCode
tipo = objError.Category
descripcion = objError.Description
linea = ObjError.Line
iis = ObjError.ASPDescription

All of those but the line number are blank/empty when this error
occurs.

The line number reveals that the problem happens on the send() method
to send email:

Set myMail=CreateObject("CDO.Message")
if IsObject(myMail) then
[...]
myMail.Send
set myMail=nothing
end if

That only happens when the TO address has a full mailbox. I noticed
that if i send mail to that mailbox from thunderbird, the message does
not get sent because a modal window appears with the message that the
mailbox has exceeded the limit. So i thought that since the message
isn't being sent, the send() method does not know what to do.

Anthony Jones

I'm a little confused by the above description. If the send fails without
any details does that mean there isn't even an error number? If there is no
error thrown on error resume next wouldn't make any difference anyway.

The http erros is 500, but there doesn't seem to be an asp error
number.
This is some of the code i have on my errorpage.asp (that is used when
error 500 happens)

set objError = Server.getLastError()
number = objError.AspCode
tipo = objError.Category
descripcion = objError.Description
linea = ObjError.Line
iis = ObjError.ASPDescription
<<<<<

Where is the above code? In a custom error page? It would only make sense
in a 500;100 custom error page which indicates a script error.

I find it rare for the AspCode to be helpful. Try using .Number. If the
error is raised by the script then Number should be non-zero. What is it?

All of those but the line number are blank/empty when this error
occurs.

The line number reveals that the problem happens on the send() method
to send email:

Set myMail=CreateObject("CDO.Message")
if IsObject(myMail) then
[...]
myMail.Send
set myMail=nothing
end if

That only happens when the TO address has a full mailbox. I noticed
that if i send mail to that mailbox from thunderbird, the message does
not get sent because a modal window appears with the message that the
mailbox has exceeded the limit. So i thought that since the message
isn't being sent, the send() method does not know what to do.
<<<<

Send is most likely throwing a standard error. Its a little weird that
there doesn't appear to be any description to it.

Seguros Catatumbo

Where is the above code?  In a custom error page?  It would only make sense
in a 500;100 custom error page which indicates a script error.

It's configured on IIS as http error 500, not 500,100 or any other.
Just 500.
I find it rare for the AspCode to be helpful.  Try using .Number.  If the
error is raised by the script then Number should be non-zero. What is it?

I am now also saving .number in the error page. I will be watching for
where this happens again.
Send is most likely throwing a standard error.  Its a little weird that
there doesn't appear to be any description to it.

Sometimes i get errors that are completely blank, except for "line: 0"

Código de Error: objError.aspcode
Tipo: objError.Category
Página: objError.File
Descripción:eek:bjError.Description
Código: Server.HTMLEncode(objError.Source)
Line: 0
Número de Error: ObjError.ASPDescription

I have no idea on what causes those. There are no session variables
set, or anything else, not even a referer