Existing asp page -> Compiled aspx without changing the path

Dave

I have an existing asp page that I would like to upgrade/convert to
aspx. It gets a million or two hits per day, so I'm surmising that at
a minimum I would benefit from compilation and the OutputCache
directive. If not, please stop me now!

In any event, since this page is linked to by numerous external sites,
I can't change the path or even the extension. How can I go about
creating an ASPX application in the same location while also
maintaining the .asp extension on the page?

Many thanks,
Dave

Guest

There might be better ways but you could always change the code in the .asp page to a single line: a response.redirect to the .aspx page. Inform webmasters of external sites to start using the .aspx extension. Over time, you could then delete the .asp page after noone is using it anymore..

Raterus

Well you can do that by playing with the "Application Configuration" under IIS. Just change .asp pages to run under what your .aspx pages run under. For me its "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll" I don't think you want to do that though, this would make all existing .asp pages on your application be processed through aspnet (I don't see how you could accomplish a single page only configuration within the same application). Have you given any thought to issuing a HTTP 301 error for the page?, I've never tried it, but I would think the browser would redirect you to the page it specifies.

Also if your page is getting that many hits, you may want to move to a solution where there is no page name, assuming at some point you may have to make this change again. Take google for instance, you never see a "search.html" file, it is all handled at the webserver and requests at the directory level (which a default document is spit out)

Hope this helps,
--Michael