explaining web standards to clients

Travis Newbury

dorayme said:
I am embarrassed you have asked this quite penetrating question.
I realise now that I tend to think the websites I make are mine.

I am proud of work, but I don't consider them mine.
Like the photographs I have sold over the years, I don't really
deep down think the people who paid for them own them... Tell
you the truth, I want them all back, goddamit.

I can completely understand how you can feel that way.

Travis Newbury

Neredbojias said:
Not mine! Nobody googles my colon.

Speaking of colons. I want you to know that when you all get old
enough to have your first colonosopy, you can ask them for the video.

Not sure why you would want a home movie of up your ass, but think of
the party possibilities...

That reminds me, did brucie leave again?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
Dylan, Dylan! Now don't you be getting all upset... it's an
English thing, to be using surnames. In my case a mark of great
respect for a man of the highest moral standards. Trust me, old
boy...

dorayme

From now on call me "Mr. Bojias".

dorayme

From: Neredbojias said:
From now on call me "Mr. Bojias".

Boji, you will get your wish on 2 conditions:

1. You have that dance.

2. By your own efforts, you get out of Barbara de Zoete's kill-file.

dorayme

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
Boji, you will get your wish on 2 conditions:

1. You have that dance.

Can we do "The Twist" 10 meters apart?
2. By your own efforts, you get out of Barbara de Zoete's kill-file.

Har har, that's a laugh. I'm not the one who instigated the action nor
do I control said killfile so your condition is an impossible one.

Btw, why do you insist on putting that annoying signature at the bottom
of your messes.?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed:
Speaking of colons. I want you to know that when you all get old
enough to have your first colonosopy, you can ask them for the video.

I think I'll pass. -On both.
Not sure why you would want a home movie of up your ass, but think of
the party possibilities...

Yeah: "Come to my bum bash"... Whoopie.
That reminds me, did brucie leave again?

After his 2 messages? Maybe he's practicing for the day when everybody
knows css as well as he does and he won't have to become exasperated by
answering the supplicants.

dorayme

From: Neredbojias said:
Can we do "The Twist" 10 meters apart?

I doubt it. From my observations, Officer Bud White kinda likes
to work in a bit closer....

Har har, that's a laugh. I'm not the one who instigated the action nor
do I control said killfile so your condition is an impossible one.

It's got nothing to do with who instigated it. Can't you see
anything? It is a test for you. She has made you a challenge.
Deep down, she wants to know if you have what it takes to fight
for a better relationship...
Btw, why do you insist on putting that annoying signature at the bottom
of your messes.?

What annoying sig? Where? You talking here or at 150m.com? If
the latter, if you don't like it, I will take it off, just say
the word, it is too cute for me anyway. I explained part of its
function to you a while back...

dorayme

(what could be less annoying than this, it is even tuneful!)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
I doubt it. From my observations, Officer Bud White kinda likes
to work in a bit closer....

I *knew* he was a fag.
It's got nothing to do with who instigated it. Can't you see
anything? It is a test for you. She has made you a challenge.
Deep down, she wants to know if you have what it takes to fight
for a better relationship...

Actually, I think our relationship is just perfect right now.
What annoying sig? Where? You talking here or at 150m.com? If
the latter, if you don't like it, I will take it off, just say
the word, it is too cute for me anyway. I explained part of its
function to you a while back...

This one here ¥ below. To make my reply look neat, I always have to
erase "dorayme" and a bunch of blank reply lines. No wonder I get testy
about women.
dorayme

(what could be less annoying than this, it is even tuneful!)

(It would be a lot less annoying if it wasn't there... Trust me.)

Andy Dingley

Dylan, Dylan! Now don't you be getting all upset... it's an
English thing, to be using surnames.

You expect "Dylan Parry" to be consoled by a comparison to the
_English_?

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias wrote:
This one here ¥ below. To make my reply look neat, I always have to
erase "dorayme" and a bunch of blank reply lines. No wonder I get testy
about women.

I think what he is saying is that your 'dorayme' is not formatted as a
signature so it always appears in the quote when replying. To make is
register as a signature, precede with 'dash dash space newline' like
mine below...

dorayme

From: Neredbojias said:
This one here ¥ below. To make my reply look neat, I always have to
erase "dorayme" and a bunch of blank reply lines.

Well, what can I do but get a better newsreader? I can get one
easily by using my spanking new fancy pants machine with OS X on
it but I have not had time, Mark Parnell has been putting the
boot into me and I have been busy removing frames from one of my
sites, it is a big job and I have 1 big section done and another
on the way. And I am delaying another job. I have all my set up
on my trusty old OS 9 machine. Let me see if I can reduce the
line. I would not in the slightest way want to offend you 2Dogs,
you are the only one who talks to me these days and the only one
I feel I can offend with total impunity...

You should be grateful that I go to some trouble to wrap my
messages to make them look as beautiful as possible. I have no
idea about extra lines not here when I send...

dorayme (with just one space above this and 0 below)

Mark Parnell

Well, what can I do but get a better newsreader?

Sounds like a plan. :) Or, you could add the .sig delimiter yourself.
I can get one
easily by using my spanking new fancy pants machine with OS X on
it but I have not had time,

Excuses, excuses.
Mark Parnell has been putting the
boot into me

Not for a while.
and I have been busy removing frames from one of my
sites,

Ah, it's like music to my ears.
it is a big job

I'd believe it.
and I have 1 big section done and another
on the way.

Good to hear.
you are the only one who talks to me these days

Sorry - haven't been in here much lately.
and the only one
I feel I can offend with total impunity...

Feel free to offend me if it helps.

dorayme

From: Andy Dingley said:
You expect "Dylan Parry" to be consoled by a comparison to the
_English_?

Well.. er... you have a point I suppose, old boy, old chap...
anyway, cheerio for now, I'm orf for tea, hang on there a mo
Auntie, I am just dealing with a provincial here... keep the
scones warm for me, thar's a good lady...

dorayme

dorayme

From: "Jonathan N. Little said:
Neredbojias wrote:

I think what he is saying is that your 'dorayme' is not formatted as a
signature so it always appears in the quote when replying. To make is
register as a signature, precede with 'dash dash space newline' like
mine below...

Oh! Why, thank you Jonathon. Now I am actually a bit wiser. So!
There are things called "signatures" which I must "register", I
will soon look into this in my email program if I am to continue
here on this old machine for a while... well spotted, seriously!
I am not going to say anything after this word... here. No I
lied, after the end of the next sentence. I end without
appending my name for the moment, how's that?

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
Oh! Why, thank you Jonathon. Now I am actually a bit wiser. So!
There are things called "signatures" which I must "register", I
will soon look into this in my email program if I am to continue
here on this old machine for a while... well spotted, seriously!
I am not going to say anything after this word... here. No I
lied, after the end of the next sentence. I end without
appending my name for the moment, how's that?

Couple of things though, firstly it's Jonathan with 2 a's not a prolong
race involving porcelain fixtures ;-)

If you have Mozilla why are you using OE for the newsgroup? In either
case if you create a text file and put

--
dorayme

and save as something like 'sig.txt', in both OE or Moz under the
settings for the account point to that file for your signature and voilà
your sig will be inserted automatically in the correct format when you
write your next message....

dorayme

From: Mark Parnell said:
Not for a while.

Ah, it's like music to my ears.

I'd believe it.

Good to hear.

And it is better for it, seriously. One reason being I have had
to somewhat redesign and it has gained improvements apart from
frames. No need to read the rest. It is not a call for help.

I am still using a single table wrapper which at the next stage
will be gone too. I am still undecided between tableless
strategies for this particular site. Mainly 2 or 3 tds (cols)
and 1 tr. (The real position is more complex with footers and in
some of the index and section index pages, a header and horiz
strip "outside" the wrapper)

One schema - for mainly 2 and three col layout that works
promisingly is this: absolutely positioned main content (em
margined to match) and the other(s) just float left and right
(not necessarily using the css "float"). One advantage being
that such a content div can be put at the top of an html page
and is seen first (it being the important part on this
particular site and this particular audience) by older or other
browsers that do not like the css...

The other design is a simpler mostly all float left, with a min
width in the body...

So far none as rock solid stable as my table wrapper with simple
2 or 3 tds, one row only. It has made my conversion from frames
easier as I use simple grep search and replace for the whole
section... and I keep an eye out for how to further replace the
table wrapper when I make up my mind. I cannot go tableless till
I fire up my windows machine and see how other browsers exhibit
my efforts. When I say rock solid, I mean rock solid as in not
breaking even when the fonts are enlarged outside the /average
range/ of possibilities, columns disappearing and dropping or
min-width causing the horiz scroll bar to appear somewhat too
early (harmless enough but annoying to me), yes I know I am
/supposed/ to be in control of this but you should see what
actually happens :) and I worry about Windows IE misbehaving (I
heard it ignores min width)...

There are lots of issues. I just notice how one simple table
lets me not have to juggle through so many. The truth is that
when one goes away from this single simple table wrapper, one is
probably better off not trying to even do what the table design
does. (As I have on other designs. I would not like to even try
to mimic them in tables as a reverse exercise!) Trying to match
one for one in appearance is not the best thing to do. That
means even more serious rethink and since I have already done so
much design work, I want to delay this...

Why am I telling you all this? Because you are my conscience.
You are there and I confess as in a Catholic confession booth
where one does not see the bloke in the next box... It is meant
to be good for the soul... And it just may help some newbie to
know that even after a bit of experience, it is still a fight to
juggle all the issues one knows about never mind worrying about
the ones one might not know about. And hey, look at me! Has it
sent me mad? Obviously not.