Exponential arrival distribution in Python

Ricky

Hi all,

I am doing a project on traffic simulation. I want to introduce exponentialarrival distribution to precede this task. Therefore I want write a code in python for exponential arrival distribution. I am very new for programming and if anybody can help me on this that would be great.

Cheers,
Ricky

David Hutto

I am doing a project on traffic simulation. I want to introduce

First, I would suggest that you give yourself a GUI like tkinter,
wxpython to visualize the data. An average of the sequential(averaged
per 60 second intervals) traveled by drivers on the road, and at what
times.

Then, and I don't know why, but it seems you want a logarithmic, scale where:

for i in range(0,4)
print "%i = %i" % (i * 10 **i)

Paul Rubin

Ricky said:
I am doing a project on traffic simulation. I want to introduce
exponential arrival distribution to precede this task. Therefore I
want write a code in python for exponential arrival distribution.

I've never heard of an "exponential arrival distribution" and googling
fails. Do you mean an exponential distribution, that describes the
expected arrival times in a Poisson process? Python's "random" module
has the random.expovariate function for that:

http://docs.python.org/3/library/random.html

If you want an actual (discrete) Poisson distribution, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_distribution#Generating_Poisson-distributed_random_variables

Albert Chun-Chieh Huang

Hi, Ricky,

Traffic simulation sounds like a good topic to use SimPy, which is a
discrete-event simulation library in Python,
c.f. http://simpy.sourceforge.net

Professor Norm Matloff wrote a very good tutorial on SimPy, and you can
download it here: http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/simcourse.html
Also, I've presented this SimPy package before, my slides might be
helpful,
http://alberthuang314.blogspot.tw/2012/01/simpy-slides-in-our-company-and-pyhug_26.html

In short, SimPy is a process-oriented discrete-event simulation package,
which will be easier to maintain than event-oriented discrete-event
simulation. It also contains some tools to help us to visualize
simulation data. It takes some time to study it, but if you would like to do
some simulation projects, it will definitely be a good investment! Have
fun with simulation!

with Regards,

Albert Huang

duncan smith

Hi all,

I am doing a project on traffic simulation. I want to introduce exponential arrival distribution to precede this task. Therefore I want write a code in python for exponential arrival distribution. I am very new for programming and if anybody can help me on this that would be great.

Cheers,
Ricky

Maybe you mean something like,

Duncan