ext directory question

Roedy Green

If a jar is placed in a customer's ext directory, what is supposed to
be able to access it?

1. an app not jarred.

2. a jarred app

3. a applet loaded from the web.

4. a JWS app loaded from the web.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

If everyone lived the way people do in Vancouver, we would need three more entire planets to support us.
~ Guy Dauncey

Roedy Green

If a jar is placed in a customer's ext directory, what is supposed to
be able to access it?

1. an app not jarred.

2. a jarred app

3. a applet loaded from the web.

4. a JWS app loaded from the web.

I posted a table of my current understanding.
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ext.html#VISIBILITY

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

If everyone lived the way people do in Vancouver, we would need three more entire planets to support us.
~ Guy Dauncey

John B. Matthews

Roedy Green said:
I posted a table of my current understanding.
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ext.html#VISIBILITY

You might add a link to this section of the documentation:

<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/extensions/index.html>

Apropos of the upgrade problem: "As of Java 6, extension JAR files may
also be placed in a location that is independent of any particular
JRE [...] as of Java 6, [java.ext.dirs] is a list of directories."

<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ext/basics/install.html>

Roedy Green

Apropos of the upgrade problem: "As of Java 6, extension JAR files may
also be placed in a location that is independent of any particular
JRE [...] as of Java 6, [java.ext.dirs] is a list of directories."

<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ext/basics/install.html>

I have implemented your suggestions. Have a look to see if I got it
right. Thanks very much for your input. Give the upload some time to
complete.

Roedy Green said:
Apropos of the upgrade problem: "As of Java 6, extension JAR files may
also be placed in a location that is independent of any particular
JRE [...] as of Java 6, [java.ext.dirs] is a list of directories."

<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ext/basics/install.html>

I have implemented your suggestions. Have a look to see if I got it
right. Thanks very much for your input. Give the upload some time to
complete.

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ext.html

Excellent! One small correction: it is the user's home extensions
directory, ~/Library/Java/Extensions, that "may have to be manually
created." The library level directory, /Library/Java/Extensions, is
always present.

On a side note, you have generously credited me (and others) for minor
contributions to the glossary. For myself, the kindness is unnecessary,
and I can see proliferating attributions leading to clutter. Permit me
to suggest one of these alternative schemes, in which contributors are
acknowledged separately:

<http://pscode.org/guifaq.html>
<http://www.pegasoft.ca/resources/boblap/book.html>