Extremely weird problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Marshall Dudley, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. If you look at
    http://www.cataris.com/cgi-bin/cart...t&cart_id=8421764.39759&checkout_button.x=yes

    you will see that there are 50 products listed (if you can get it to
    display). I have one customer that cannot get that page to display,
    although I can with IE, NS 4.72 and NS 7.1. IE says that the page cannot
    be loaded, and NS simply displays a blank screen. If you look at the
    source code for NS, it is about 5 lines long, and does not look anything
    like the code that is actually being sent. I would post what is being
    shown here, but I was told not to post any html code to this group. he
    says he has tested it both with dial up and Comcast connections.

    Anyway, if I reduce the number products in the table from 50 to about 40
    or so, both browsers work fine for him. But when I check the code
    between the two, they are identical except for the 10 lines removed,
    which are absolutely identical to the 10 lines above those lines.

    Now things really get interesting. If I capture the code of that page
    that does not display for the customer from my computer which does
    display it, and email it to the customer and they write it to the local
    drive, it will display from the drive. Also when I post the code on
    another url as static html code, they can view it as well, but the
    source code is exactly the same code.

    Anyway, I am usually pretty good at troubleshooting, but this one has me
    stumped.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Marshall
    Marshall Dudley, Jul 22, 2004

  2. Marshall Dudley

    Uncle Pirate Guest

    Marshall Dudley wrote:

    > If you look at
    > http://www.cataris.com/cgi-bin/cart...t&cart_id=8421764.39759&checkout_button.x=yes
    >
    > you will see that there are 50 products listed (if you can get it to
    > display). I have one customer that cannot get that page to display,
    > although I can with IE, NS 4.72 and NS 7.1. IE says that the page cannot
    > be loaded, and NS simply displays a blank screen. If you look at the
    > source code for NS, it is about 5 lines long, and does not look anything
    > like the code that is actually being sent. I would post what is being
    > shown here, but I was told not to post any html code to this group. he
    > says he has tested it both with dial up and Comcast connections.
    >
    > Anyway, if I reduce the number products in the table from 50 to about 40
    > or so, both browsers work fine for him. But when I check the code
    > between the two, they are identical except for the 10 lines removed,
    > which are absolutely identical to the 10 lines above those lines.
    >
    > Now things really get interesting. If I capture the code of that page
    > that does not display for the customer from my computer which does
    > display it, and email it to the customer and they write it to the local
    > drive, it will display from the drive. Also when I post the code on
    > another url as static html code, they can view it as well, but the
    > source code is exactly the same code.
    >
    > Anyway, I am usually pretty good at troubleshooting, but this one has me
    > stumped.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    Does the customer have DSL or cable? Using a router? Reset the router
    to clear cached addresses. These addresses will sometimes build up and
    create some kind of block to certain pages. Sounded wierd when I first
    heard it too, but resetting a client's router restored the ability to
    view several pages that could not be viewed prior to the reset. In
    particular, this was a Linksys router with wireless.

    --
    Stan McCann "Uncle Pirate"
    Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM AMA#758681
    Uncle Pirate, Jul 23, 2004

  3. Marshall Dudley

    Arondelle Guest

    Uncle Pirate wrote:
    > Does the customer have DSL or cable? Using a router? Reset the router
    > to clear cached addresses. These addresses will sometimes build up and
    > create some kind of block to certain pages. Sounded wierd when I first
    > heard it too, but resetting a client's router restored the ability to
    > view several pages that could not be viewed prior to the reset. In
    > particular, this was a Linksys router with wireless.

    Hmmm. My Belkin router has to be flushed every so often, as well,
    otherwise it brings my connection to everything to a complete halt.
    Like a virtual lint trap. What's it doing caching addresses?

    You're right: it's weird.

    Arondelle
    To email me, empty the pond with a net
    Arondelle, Jul 23, 2004