    disgrace. Code like that is what gives Perl a bad name. I just
    can't believe that this dreck is part of the standard library...

    kj
    kj, Jan 26, 2004

  2. kj

    Ben Morrow Guest

    kj <> wrote:

    > I've been reading the source for ExtUtils/Install.pm, and it is a
    > disgrace. Code like that is what gives Perl a bad name. I just
    > can't believe that this dreck is part of the standard library...

    Ummm... what exactly is wrong with it?

    Ben

    47 nodes and 63 links. [ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/arpaprob.txt] *
    Ben Morrow, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Also sprach kj:

    > I've been reading the source for ExtUtils/Install.pm, and it is a
    > disgrace. Code like that is what gives Perl a bad name. I just
    > can't believe that this dreck is part of the standard library...

    Please elaborate a little. What is so wrong with it? To me it looks
    rather unconspicuous.

    Also, have you read the AUTHOR section? It makes clear that this is
    legacy code which offen suffers from stylistic (and other) problems. But
    considering that I think the code is actually quite good. It is well
    documented, has sensible variable names etc. There are worse examples in
    a Perl source distribution.

    Tassilo
    Tassilo v. Parseval, Jan 26, 2004
  4. On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:54:46 +0000, kj wrote:

    > I've been reading the source for ExtUtils/Install.pm, and it is a
    > disgrace. Code like that is what gives Perl a bad name. I just
    > can't believe that this dreck is part of the standard library...

    My truck is really old and is in such poor shape ... I can't believe the
    Commonwealth of Pennsylvania actually allows it to be on the road ;-)

    If you're more specific, I can be more specific :)

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    "I'm willing to sacrifice anything for this cause, even other
    people's lives"
    James Willmore, Jan 27, 2004
  5. kj

    kj Guest

    OK, the latest example I've been dealing with: the policy for
    permissions when copying files from the build to the install
    directories is hard-coded and embedded in a huge sub. The only
    way to override it it is to cut-and-paste the whole goddam thing
    into your code and hope that it doesn't use file-scoped lexicals...
    If programming required a license, that sort of crap should be
    enough to have it revoked... Yeah, I know, one can always think
    of worse, but that's true of any crime...

    kj
    kj, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Also sprach kj:

    > OK, the latest example I've been dealing with: the policy for
    > permissions when copying files from the build to the install
    > directories is hard-coded and embedded in a huge sub. The only
    > way to override it it is to cut-and-paste the whole goddam thing
    > into your code and hope that it doesn't use file-scoped lexicals...
    > If programming required a license, that sort of crap should be
    > enough to have it revoked... Yeah, I know, one can always think
    > of worse, but that's true of any crime...

    Maybe you just missed this piece from the DESCRIPTION in the PODs:

    Both install() and uninstall() are specific to the way
    ExtUtils::MakeMaker handles the installation and deinstallation of
    perl modules. They are not designed as general purpose tools.

    If you don't want to do it the EU::MakeMaker way, then you should not be
    trying to use this module.

    As a side note: You are beating dead camels here. Michael G Schwern
    doesn't get weary of emphasizing that EU::MakeMaker is seriously flawed
    and that instead Module::Build should be used.

    Tassilo
    Tassilo v. Parseval, Jan 27, 2004
  7. kj wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc :
    > OK, the latest example I've been dealing with: the policy for
    > permissions when copying files from the build to the install
    > directories is hard-coded and embedded in a huge sub. The only
    > way to override it it is to cut-and-paste the whole goddam thing
    > into your code and hope that it doesn't use file-scoped lexicals...
    > If programming required a license, that sort of crap should be
    > enough to have it revoked... Yeah, I know, one can always think
    > of worse, but that's true of any crime...

    Rewrite it. Send a patch. Do something constructive. Don't rely
    on others doing all the work for free.
    Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Jan 27, 2004