"Failure Sending Mail" when using System.Net.Mail and ASP.Net 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by HoustonComputerGuy@gmail.com, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am working on getting my web applications moved to .Net 2.0 and am
    having some problems with System.Net.Mail. I get the following error
    when sending the mail:

    System.Net.Mail.SmtpException was unhandled by user code
    Message="Failure sending mail."
    Source="System"
    StackTrace:
    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(String from, String
    recipients, String subject, String body)
    at emailtest.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in ******
    at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

    And the innerexception shows:

    "The token supplied to the function is invalid"

    My 1.1 application works fine with the settings below. Here is the code
    I am using in 2.0:

    Dim SmtpClient As New System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient
    SmtpClient.Host = "MAILSERVER"
    SmtpClient.DeliveryMethod = Net.Mail.SmtpDeliveryMethod.Network
    SmtpClient.Credentials = New
    System.Net.NetworkCredential("username", "pass")
    SmtpClient.Send("FROM", "TO", "Test Sub", "test Body")

    On my server I am running Kerio mailserver 6.1.1. I require
    authentication when sending SMTP. The usernames are in the format of
    . The SMTP server is on the standard port 25.

    I have seen similiar posts on the internet but no resolution. Why would
    this work in framework 1.1 and not in 2.0? And since I cannot find any
    3rd party componenets for 2.0 yet, I am forced to work through this
    issue.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    , Dec 4, 2005

  2. Have you tried to add the credentials to your web.config?

    --
    Daniel Fisher(lennybacon)
    http://www.lennybacon.com

    Daniel Fisher\(lennybacon\), Dec 5, 2005

  3. I hadn't tried that so I just tried using the following in my
    web.config. No go though, got the same error. On a side note I can send
    through gmail's smtp service using their alternate port and SSL.
    Although in my cirumstance I am just trying to send a regular email
    using authentication.

    <system.net>
    <mailSettings>
    <smtp deliveryMethod="network" from="">
    <network
    host="localhost"
    password="****"
    userName=""
    port="25"
    />
    </smtp>
    </mailSettings>
    </system.net>

    HoustonComputerGuy, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Try looking for a solution at:-
    http://www.systemwebmail.com/
    It should guide you
    Patrick

    Patrick.O.Ige, Dec 6, 2005
  5. mpls

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Any solution yet?

    I'm having the same problem when I set my smpt server to require authentication, my code does not return any exemptions but no email will go???? p.s. I can use outlook (not outlook express) on the same machine I'm testing on and it works. i check the SPA on the outlook account , outlook express does not work :((( i'm starting to pull my hair on this one, please help!
    thanks

    mpls, Sep 28, 2007