FAQ Topic - What is a built-in object? (2010-06-02)

FAQ server

FAQ Topic - What is a built-in object?

A built-in object is any object supplied by an ECMAScript
implementation, independent of the host environment, that is present
at the start of the execution of an ECMAScript program.

ECMA-262 3rd Edition defines the following built-in objects:

*
Objects
_global_, Math

Constructors
Object, Function, Array, String, Boolean, Number, Date, RegExp

Errors
Error, Date, EvalError, RangeError, ReferenceError, SyntaxError, TypeError, URIError

Functions
eval, parseInt, parseFloat, isNaN, isFinite, decodeURI,
decodeURIComponent, encodeURI, encodeURIComponent

ECMA-262 Edition 5 defines also the built-in object ` JSON `.

Nonstandard built-in objects may include ` RuntimeObject `,
` String.prototype.link `, ` CollectGarbage `, and more.

The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
http://jibbering.com/faq/

Joe Nine

I'll tell you what I'd like to see in the FAQ - a glossary of terms
often used in conjunction with JavaScript and on this newsgroup.

For example, I have no idea why jQuery is so named. I see people saying
query engine but it seems to have nothing at all to do with database
queries (e.g. SQL Query). Also, QSA is often mentioned but there's never
a mention of what it is. I also see the term selector used a lot on the
board and don't know what that means in JavaScript terms. Some simple
examples of a query, a QSA and a selector would be good.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Joe said:
I'll tell you what I'd like to see in the FAQ - a glossary of terms
often used in conjunction with JavaScript and on this newsgroup.

For example, I have no idea why jQuery is so named.

It's supposed to be a library that uses "queries" to the document tree, and
its author is *J*ohn Resig.
I see people saying query engine but it seems to have nothing at all to do
with database queries (e.g. SQL Query).

Retrieving only certain element object references from a document tree can
be understood as being a query, too. The meaning of "query" is not limited
to databases to begin with.
Also, QSA is often mentioned but there's never a mention of what it is.

It is expected that you read a newsgroup for a while before asking
questions. However, it is probably a good idea to explain the most commonly
used terms (as long as it does not attempt to impose a pseudo-language as
with the term "javascript").
I also see the term selector used a lot on the board

This is not a (bulletin) board.
and don't know what that means in JavaScript terms.

It means the same as in CSS: a means to select something from a greater
something else. With document.querySelectorAll(), it means *exactly* the
same thing as in CSS. (RTFM)
Some simple examples of a query, a QSA and a selector would be good.

A FAQ is not supposed to be a tutorial. There are already tutorials
elsewhere, and the FAQ refers to them.

PointedEars

Joe Nine

Thomas said:
[...]

Thanks for all the info above. Since I posted my question here I've also
been reading up on queries and selectors. Also read up on *J*, he's
quite a query himself. Why someone would take an elegant language like
JavaScript and want to mangle it into the jQuery syntax is beyond my
understanding. Looking at jQuery examples it looks horrible. Not
surprising though with his liking of Perl.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Joe said:
Thanks for all the info above.

You're welcome. Thanks in advance for trimming your quotes to the relevant
minimum next time.
Since I posted my question here I've also been reading up on queries and
selectors. Also read up on *J*, he's quite a query himself. Why someone
would take an elegant language like JavaScript and want to mangle it into
the jQuery syntax is beyond my understanding. Looking at jQuery examples
it looks horrible. Not surprising though with his liking of Perl.

Full ACK. Join the club :)

Regards,

PointedEars

Scott Sauyet

Thomas said:
It's supposed to be a library that uses "queries" to the document tree, and
its author is *J*ohn Resig.

Is that documented somewhere? I always assumed that the "j" was for
"Javascript". Of course with the tendency in Java circles to prepend
anything with "J", the name doesn't seem particularly surprising, even
in Javascript.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Scott said:
Is that documented somewhere?

I do not know, it is just what came first to my mind. Sorry if it sounded
authoritative. (I think there is no argument about "query".)
I always assumed that the "j" was for "Javascript". Of course with the
tendency in Java circles to prepend anything with "J", the name doesn't
seem particularly surprising, even in Javascript.

You may be right. On the other hand, John Resig's net name is "ejohn",
"jresig" at Mozilla, and "jeresig" on Twitter (just googled), which would
fit the starting lowercase letter better than "Javascript".

PointedEars