    Hi,

    I've just uploaded my website and would appreciate some valuable feed-back
    from the HTML peer group. Any suggestions for improvement? Comments?
    Its at www.astutechoices.com

    Hank
    Familyman, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Familyman

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Familyman quothed:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just uploaded my website and would appreciate some valuable feed-back
    > from the HTML peer group. Any suggestions for improvement? Comments?
    > Its at www.astutechoices.com
    >
    > Hank

    Looks pretty darn good to me! I only looked at opening page and didn't
    IE, Firefox, and Opera.) The only diff I saw was the thumbnails seem to
    left-align (locally) in IE while centering in the other two.

    Appears quite professional and erudite.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Familyman

    Paul Watt Guest

    "Familyman" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just uploaded my website and would appreciate some valuable feed-back
    > from the HTML peer group. Any suggestions for improvement? Comments?
    > Its at www.astutechoices.com
    >
    > Hank

    Hi,
    Looks good, except for the left hand menu that looks like it should be
    centered in the cell.

    Bad points.

    No DOC TYPE specified.
    bizarre mix of CSS and "tag soup" coding.

    Paul
    Paul Watt, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Familyman

    Familyman Guest

    Thanks, Guys,

    I'll specify that DOC TYPE. Thank you.
    In my browser the left hand menu centers OK.
    Does it not in yours? Which browser are you using?

    I prefer using CSS and am still learning.
    Do you think search engines will like the code?

    Hank

    Familyman, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Familyman

    Familyman Guest

    I'm thrilled you think it looks reasonable. I'll check that allignment
    problem.

    Familyman, Feb 9, 2006
  6. Familyman

    Stan McCann Guest

    dorayme <> wrote in
    net.com.au:

    > In article <>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    >> With neither quill nor qualm, Familyman quothed:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I've just uploaded my website and would appreciate some valuable
    >> > feed-back from the HTML peer group. Any suggestions for
    >> > improvement? Comments? Its at www.astutechoices.com
    >> >
    >> > Hank

    >> Looks pretty darn good to me! I only looked at opening page and

    It is a nice looking page on the surface. But you, Neredbojias, being
    one of the regulars in this group w/c/should be as sickened by that
    code as I was. Yech.

    >> didn't view source, but the page rendered almost identically in
    >> "the big 3" (- IE, Firefox, and Opera.) The only diff I saw was
    >> the thumbnails seem to left-align (locally) in IE while centering
    >> in the other two.
    >>
    >> Appears quite professional and erudite.

    > So it does but now look at the source Boji...

    Or try to validate it. As someone else said, "bizarre mix of CSS and
    'tag soup.'"

    Suggestions:
    Learn HTML and CSS. That does not mean throw a bunch of stuff into
    some WYSIWYMG (What You See Is What You *Might* Get) editor.

    Note to OP:
    I came down kind of hard on your coding because it is bad, don't take
    it personnally, take it as constructive criticism letting you know that
    you have some things to learn.

    I don't *know* about everyone else, but my guess is that most people
    read/post on this group to learn. Why else take the time? I am
    constantly improving my skills and much of the knowledge for
    improvement comes from this group.

    --
    Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
    Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/
    Stan McCann, Feb 9, 2006
  7. Familyman

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > > Appears quite professional and erudite.

    > So it does but now look at the source Boji...

    Oh oh. Sounds like once again the Sword of DamnyouCleese is coming down
    right for my head.

    Incidentally, since B de Z has become somewhat of a pariah around this
    forum, are you trying to take her place?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Feb 9, 2006
  8. Familyman

    Familyman Guest

    Any specific suggestions of how to get rid of the tag soup?

    Hank

    Familyman, Feb 9, 2006
  9. On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Familyman blurted out:

    > Any specific suggestions of how to get rid of the tag soup?

    Properly-behaved usenauts just do it - it comes kind-of naturally.

    Fullquoting top-posters couldn't do it even if we sprayed them
    liberally with clue pheromone, and put them in a field of randy clues
    in the clue mating season.

    h t h
    Alan J. Flavell, Feb 9, 2006
  10. Familyman

    Stan McCann Guest

    "Familyman" <> wrote in

    > Any specific suggestions of how to get rid of the tag soup?
    >
    > Hank

    Please don't top post.

    Same suggestion I gave before. See below.

    > "Stan McCann" <> wrote in message
    >> Suggestions:
    >> Learn HTML and CSS. That does not mean throw a bunch of stuff into

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Stan McCann, Feb 9, 2006
  11. Familyman

    richardv2 Guest

    Just a couple of minor things...
    1. Why the duck? How does that fit with the abuse theme?
    2. Nice that left nav has mouseover with larger font. Since your
    top-horizontal nav doesn't take up much width, I'd make the font one
    larger and add mouseovers also.
    3. Your affiliate % seems rather low. The ones I see offer 20-30% (low)
    up to 40-50%. You might try upping the percent for a few weeks and see
    if enrollments pick up. Half of a big bucket of money is more tham 90%
    of a tiny one. :)

    Overall, very nice site!
    richardv2, Feb 10, 2006
  12. Familyman

    Chris Beall Guest

    Familyman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just uploaded my website and would appreciate some valuable feed-back
    > from the HTML peer group. Any suggestions for improvement? Comments?
    > Its at www.astutechoices.com
    >
    > Hank

    Familyman,

    I will provide some comments below, but I'd like to ask something in
    return. Can you tell us how you learned HTML? Which books or web sites
    did you use? Which one did you start with and then what were the
    others? Which did you like best and why? Which did you like least and
    why? If you had a question on HTML today, what would you do to find an
    answer? How about CSS?

    OK, feedback. I looked at the site on a (unless stated otherwise) 600 X
    800 CRT display, with the browser window occupying the whole screen. I
    used Netscape 7.1, IE 6, and Opera 8.51.

    The home page looks substantially the same in all 3 browsers.

    The font size used for navigation and the detail paragraphs is smaller
    than I usually prefer. Using IE I was unable to increase the text size;
    this usually indicates that the size has been specified in pixels.

    In the left-column navigation, 'little kids' is the only navigation link
    on the page that does not start with a capital letter.

    The hover effect is inconsistent between the horizontal navigation
    (which has none) and the left-column and bottom-of-page navigation
    (which bolds the font).

    When you hover over the bottom-of-page navigation, the text is bolded.
    This results in the width of the text increasing and the other entries
    on the same line 'jump' away from the one you are hovering over.

    If the inner window width is reduced below about 740 pixels, a
    horizontal scroll bar appears. On the other hand, if the display is
    increased to 1024 X 768 and the window is maximized, the paragraph text
    expands nicely to fill the available space.

    If the display is increased to 1600 X 1200, the text still expands to
    fill the space. At this resolution, however, it is much too small to
    read. Using Netscape, I increased the size 3 times (to 200%) and 4
    times (to 300%). In the first case, the left-column navigation started
    to overlay the vertical roses which make up the visual border of this
    area. In the second, the navigation spilled well across that border.

    I looked at the page with a text-only browser and things looked pretty
    good, except I could not find the "learn more" links at the end of each
    paragraph. I then looked at the source and determined that these links
    are actually images of text rather than text. These are therefore
    invisible to a text browser, so users of such a browser would not be
    able to follow them (although they could follow the title link, which
    leads to the same location). I also verified that they are not resized
    by any browser, hence may become invisibly small on high-resolution
    displays with large windows.

    I looked at the HTML, which led to my questions in the first paragraph
    of this response.

    I followed the 'Site map' link, which went to a page with that file
    name, but it is a duplicate of the home page.

    On the press.htm page, you have an image of a newspaper item. I could
    read it only with difficulty because of the font size. I understand the
    attraction of showing the article as printed, but I would capture just
    the picture and transcribe the text into HTML paragraphs. This would
    potentially allow the user to increase the font size.

    I did not detect any errors in English, which is almost unheard of.

    From a user perspective, it looks very nice and functions quite well in
    the most common environments. Under the covers, well... let's hear the
    answers to my early questions.

    Chris Beall
    Chris Beall, Feb 10, 2006
  13. Familyman

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Try to be nice to me Boji, everyone else has been so horrible
    > lately.

    I hope that doesn't include me?

    > what is
    > Greek, Roman and Arabic for "killfile"?

    Greek: Ελληνικά
    Roman (Latin): iuguololima
    Arabic: قتلمبرد

    --
    Mark Parnell

    Now implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Mark Parnell, Feb 10, 2006
  14. Familyman

    dorayme Guest

    dorayme, Feb 10, 2006
  15. Familyman

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > > Oh oh. Sounds like once again the Sword of DamnyouCleese is coming down
    > > right for my head.
    > >
    > > Incidentally, since B de Z has become somewhat of a pariah around this
    > > forum, are you trying to take her place?

    > Try to be nice to me Boji, everyone else has been so horrible
    > lately.

    I am truly sorry to hear that. I think at least part of the problem is
    that some people just don't respect women, the cads!

    > (But, you do understand that no matter how nice you are,
    > I still arrange that meeting with Bud for you... (you can preempt
    > it by agreeing to play a lion to his Gladiator... your choice.)

    Okay. Well, if you want me to be a lion, I may say I'd be a lion but I
    might be a-lyin', too.

    Now, my precognition warns me to advise you not to call me Luigi.

    > Since I am in BdeZ's kf and she is a pariah, I am... No, I don't
    > know what Aristotle had in his syllogism forms on this one. I
    > will look it up. I might have to investigate the original sources
    > from the Romans probably, or the Arabs... Just in case what is
    > Greek, Roman and Arabic for "killfile"?

    Hmm, using deductive reasoning, I'd say in Greek it's "butt plug", in
    Roman it's "Caesar makes a better salad than an emperor", and in Arabic
    probably "I caught her fiddlin' around with an infidel!" Of course
    there are idioms involved; these are just the literal philologistic
    equivalencies.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Feb 10, 2006
  16. Familyman

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > In article <>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'd say in Greek it's "butt plug"

    > Someone sent me a funny mp3 ages ago in which a fellow rings a
    > hardware type company (I think). He asks for a "butt-plug" and
    > is sent from one dept to another, no one being able to understand
    > what he wants... He just keaps repeating the phrase...
    >
    > (if anyone would like to hear it, I will dig it up and put it on
    > a website - thereby practicing my Spartanicus multimedia html
    > lessons on it, it being a voice thing)

    I would. Always looking for funny things.

    > Now I see you use this expression. Is this some Yanky expression?
    > What does it signify? It never ever meant anything to me but now
    > I think about it, is it a crudity concerning the artificial
    > closure of a certain anatomical opening?

    Yeah, it can be, but is more British, I'd say, than Yankee. Is
    sometimes implied or depicted in hardly-realistic "parodies" of sexual
    activity.

    > I should know better than to direct this to you, you have always
    > seemed a little obsessed with lower parts.

    That's because when I was younger, I got my thingy caught in my zipper a
    lot if I didn't pay particular attention to the proper restuffing
    thereof.

    > But I risk it. Because
    > I am curious about this term.

    What benefit if ye gain the whole world and lose thine soul?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Feb 10, 2006
  17. Familyman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1139504110.705526@ftpsrv1>,
    "Familyman" <> wrote:

    > I'm thrilled you think it looks reasonable. I'll check that allignment
    > problem.
    >
    > Hank
    >

    > > Looks pretty darn good to me!

    Yes, you have a good eye. And Boji recognised this. But put in a
    doctype and try to validate everything, including css. Look at
    the issue of deprecated tags (their status is for a reason), use
    of tables and if I recall, javascript. Read up about what you can
    do without using these things and the advantages etc ... See
    Stan's post on this too.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 10, 2006
  18. Familyman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
    >
    > > > Appears quite professional and erudite.

    > > So it does but now look at the source Boji...

    > Oh oh. Sounds like once again the Sword of DamnyouCleese is coming down
    > right for my head.
    >
    > Incidentally, since B de Z has become somewhat of a pariah around this
    > forum, are you trying to take her place?

    Try to be nice to me Boji, everyone else has been so horrible
    lately. (But, you do understand that no matter how nice you are,

    dorayme, Feb 10, 2006
  19. Familyman

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > > > Someone sent me a funny mp3 ages ago in which a fellow rings a
    > > > hardware type company (I think). He asks for a "butt-plug" and
    > > > is sent from one dept to another, no one being able to understand
    > > > what he wants... He just keaps repeating the phrase...
    > > >
    > > > (if anyone would like to hear it, I will dig it up and put it on
    > > > a website - thereby practicing my Spartanicus multimedia html
    > > > lessons on it, it being a voice thing)

    Hmmmm, yes, that was not to bad at all. Would've been more funny if he
    had tried to explain to them what he wanted it for.
    But, I reckon the people on the other end of the phone would have been
    pritty bloody confused!.

    Chaddy2222, Feb 11, 2006
  20. Familyman

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > > I would. Always looking for funny things.
    > >

    > http://dorayme.150m.com/movies/buttPlug.mp3

    If I got a phone call like that, I would've hung up after 5 seconds.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Feb 11, 2006