Hi,

I've just uploaded my website and would appreciate some valuable feed-back
from the HTML peer group. Any suggestions for improvement? Comments?
Its at www.astutechoices.com

Hank

Looks pretty darn good to me! I only looked at opening page and didn't
IE, Firefox, and Opera.) The only diff I saw was the thumbnails seem to
left-align (locally) in IE while centering in the other two.

Appears quite professional and erudite.

Paul Watt

Its at www.astutechoices.com

Hank

Hi,
Looks good, except for the left hand menu that looks like it should be
centered in the cell.

Bad points.

No DOC TYPE specified.
bizarre mix of CSS and "tag soup" coding.

Paul

Familyman

Thanks, Guys,

I'll specify that DOC TYPE. Thank you.
In my browser the left hand menu centers OK.
Does it not in yours? Which browser are you using?

I prefer using CSS and am still learning.
Do you think search engines will like the code?

Hank

Familyman

I'm thrilled you think it looks reasonable. I'll check that allignment
problem.

Hank

Stan McCann

net.com.au:

It is a nice looking page on the surface. But you, Neredbojias, being
one of the regulars in this group w/c/should be as sickened by that
code as I was. Yech.
So it does but now look at the source Boji...

Or try to validate it. As someone else said, "bizarre mix of CSS and
'tag soup.'"

Suggestions:
Learn HTML and CSS. That does not mean throw a bunch of stuff into
some WYSIWYMG (What You See Is What You *Might* Get) editor.

Note to OP:
I came down kind of hard on your coding because it is bad, don't take
it personnally, take it as constructive criticism letting you know that
you have some things to learn.

I don't *know* about everyone else, but my guess is that most people
read/post on this group to learn. Why else take the time? I am
constantly improving my skills and much of the knowledge for
improvement comes from this group.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
So it does but now look at the source Boji...

Oh oh. Sounds like once again the Sword of DamnyouCleese is coming down
right for my head.

Incidentally, since B de Z has become somewhat of a pariah around this
forum, are you trying to take her place?

Alan J. Flavell

Any specific suggestions of how to get rid of the tag soup?

Properly-behaved usenauts just do it - it comes kind-of naturally.

Fullquoting top-posters couldn't do it even if we sprayed them
liberally with clue pheromone, and put them in a field of randy clues
in the clue mating season.

h t h

richardv2

Just a couple of minor things...
1. Why the duck? How does that fit with the abuse theme?
2. Nice that left nav has mouseover with larger font. Since your
top-horizontal nav doesn't take up much width, I'd make the font one
larger and add mouseovers also.
3. Your affiliate % seems rather low. The ones I see offer 20-30% (low)
up to 40-50%. You might try upping the percent for a few weeks and see
if enrollments pick up. Half of a big bucket of money is more tham 90%
of a tiny one. :)

Overall, very nice site!

Chris Beall

Its at www.astutechoices.com

Hank
Familyman,

I will provide some comments below, but I'd like to ask something in
return. Can you tell us how you learned HTML? Which books or web sites
did you use? Which one did you start with and then what were the
others? Which did you like best and why? Which did you like least and
why? If you had a question on HTML today, what would you do to find an
answer? How about CSS?

OK, feedback. I looked at the site on a (unless stated otherwise) 600 X
800 CRT display, with the browser window occupying the whole screen. I
used Netscape 7.1, IE 6, and Opera 8.51.

The home page looks substantially the same in all 3 browsers.

The font size used for navigation and the detail paragraphs is smaller
than I usually prefer. Using IE I was unable to increase the text size;
this usually indicates that the size has been specified in pixels.

In the left-column navigation, 'little kids' is the only navigation link
on the page that does not start with a capital letter.

The hover effect is inconsistent between the horizontal navigation
(which has none) and the left-column and bottom-of-page navigation
(which bolds the font).

When you hover over the bottom-of-page navigation, the text is bolded.
This results in the width of the text increasing and the other entries
on the same line 'jump' away from the one you are hovering over.

If the inner window width is reduced below about 740 pixels, a
horizontal scroll bar appears. On the other hand, if the display is
increased to 1024 X 768 and the window is maximized, the paragraph text
expands nicely to fill the available space.

If the display is increased to 1600 X 1200, the text still expands to
fill the space. At this resolution, however, it is much too small to
read. Using Netscape, I increased the size 3 times (to 200%) and 4
times (to 300%). In the first case, the left-column navigation started
to overlay the vertical roses which make up the visual border of this
area. In the second, the navigation spilled well across that border.

I looked at the page with a text-only browser and things looked pretty
good, except I could not find the "learn more" links at the end of each
paragraph. I then looked at the source and determined that these links
are actually images of text rather than text. These are therefore
invisible to a text browser, so users of such a browser would not be
able to follow them (although they could follow the title link, which
leads to the same location). I also verified that they are not resized
by any browser, hence may become invisibly small on high-resolution
displays with large windows.

I looked at the HTML, which led to my questions in the first paragraph
of this response.

I followed the 'Site map' link, which went to a page with that file
name, but it is a duplicate of the home page.

On the press.htm page, you have an image of a newspaper item. I could
read it only with difficulty because of the font size. I understand the
attraction of showing the article as printed, but I would capture just
the picture and transcribe the text into HTML paragraphs. This would
potentially allow the user to increase the font size.

I did not detect any errors in English, which is almost unheard of.

From a user perspective, it looks very nice and functions quite well in
the most common environments. Under the covers, well... let's hear the
answers to my early questions.

Chris Beall

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
Try to be nice to me Boji, everyone else has been so horrible
lately.

I hope that doesn't include me?
what is
Greek, Roman and Arabic for "killfile"?

Greek: Ελληνικά
Roman (Latin): iuguololima
Arabic: قتلمبرد

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Familyman quothed:

Looks pretty darn good to me! I only looked at opening page and didn't
IE, Firefox, and Opera.) The only diff I saw was the thumbnails seem to
left-align (locally) in IE while centering in the other two.

Appears quite professional and erudite.

So it does but now look at the source Boji...

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
Try to be nice to me Boji, everyone else has been so horrible
lately.

I am truly sorry to hear that. I think at least part of the problem is
that some people just don't respect women, the cads!
(But, you do understand that no matter how nice you are,
I still arrange that meeting with Bud for you... (you can preempt
it by agreeing to play a lion to his Gladiator... your choice.)

Okay. Well, if you want me to be a lion, I may say I'd be a lion but I
might be a-lyin', too.

Now, my precognition warns me to advise you not to call me Luigi.
Since I am in BdeZ's kf and she is a pariah, I am... No, I don't
know what Aristotle had in his syllogism forms on this one. I
will look it up. I might have to investigate the original sources
from the Romans probably, or the Arabs... Just in case what is
Greek, Roman and Arabic for "killfile"?

Hmm, using deductive reasoning, I'd say in Greek it's "butt plug", in
Roman it's "Caesar makes a better salad than an emperor", and in Arabic
probably "I caught her fiddlin' around with an infidel!" Of course
there are idioms involved; these are just the literal philologistic
equivalencies.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
Someone sent me a funny mp3 ages ago in which a fellow rings a
hardware type company (I think). He asks for a "butt-plug" and
is sent from one dept to another, no one being able to understand
what he wants... He just keaps repeating the phrase...

(if anyone would like to hear it, I will dig it up and put it on
a website - thereby practicing my Spartanicus multimedia html
lessons on it, it being a voice thing)

I would. Always looking for funny things.
Now I see you use this expression. Is this some Yanky expression?
What does it signify? It never ever meant anything to me but now
I think about it, is it a crudity concerning the artificial
closure of a certain anatomical opening?

Yeah, it can be, but is more British, I'd say, than Yankee. Is
sometimes implied or depicted in hardly-realistic "parodies" of sexual
activity.
I should know better than to direct this to you, you have always
seemed a little obsessed with lower parts.

That's because when I was younger, I got my thingy caught in my zipper a
lot if I didn't pay particular attention to the proper restuffing
thereof.
But I risk it. Because
I am curious about this term.

What benefit if ye gain the whole world and lose thine soul?

dorayme

Familyman said:
I'm thrilled you think it looks reasonable. I'll check that allignment
problem.

Hank

Yes, you have a good eye. And Boji recognised this. But put in a
doctype and try to validate everything, including css. Look at
the issue of deprecated tags (their status is for a reason), use
of tables and if I recall, javascript. Read up about what you can
do without using these things and the advantages etc ... See
Stan's post on this too.

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

Oh oh. Sounds like once again the Sword of DamnyouCleese is coming down
right for my head.

Incidentally, since B de Z has become somewhat of a pariah around this
forum, are you trying to take her place?

Try to be nice to me Boji, everyone else has been so horrible
lately. (But, you do understand that no matter how nice you are,
I still arrange that meeting with Bud for you... (you can preempt
it by agreeing to play a lion to his Gladiator... your choice.)

Since I am in BdeZ's kf and she is a pariah, I am... No, I don't
know what Aristotle had in his syllogism forms on this one. I
will look it up. I might have to investigate the original sources
from the Romans probably, or the Arabs... Just in case what is
Greek, Roman and Arabic for "killfile"?

Chaddy2222

Hmmmm, yes, that was not to bad at all. Would've been more funny if he
had tried to explain to them what he wanted it for.
But, I reckon the people on the other end of the phone would have been
pritty bloody confused!.