    Has anyone done anything like this? I know Schematron uses a similar
    approach. I also know about XQuery, but I don't know of any good free GUI
    tool for it yet. I just want to make sure I'm not reinventing the wheel.

    Mike King, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Mike King

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:47:47 -0400, "Mike King" <>
    wrote:

    >I want to ask a general question to see if anyone has done a similar thing.
    >I'm thinking about creating an application that will allow me to run queries
    >across several XML files.

    Sounds like a reasonable approach. Generating XSLT dynamically is
    certainly a well-respected technique,

    The downside is that XSLT uses XPath. Can XPath do the querying you
    need in the final process ?

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Jul 30, 2004

  3. Mike King

    Mike King Guest

    > Sounds like a reasonable approach. Generating XSLT dynamically is
    > certainly a well-respected technique,
    >
    > The downside is that XSLT uses XPath. Can XPath do the querying you
    > need in the final process ?

    Probably not but I was going to create some XPath Extension Functions to
    create the desired behavior.

    Mike King, Jul 30, 2004
  4. Mike King wrote:
    >>Sounds like a reasonable approach. Generating XSLT dynamically is
    >>certainly a well-respected technique,
    >>
    >>The downside is that XSLT uses XPath. Can XPath do the querying you
    >>need in the final process ?

    > Probably not but I was going to create some XPath Extension Functions to
    > create the desired behavior.

    Cocoon's XPathDirectoryGenerator could be used for this task.
    You specify a directory which is scanned recursively and returned
    as a XML structure.

    In addition you can specify a regular expression and a XPath
    expression. The XPath expression is applied to each files
    matching the regular expression and the result is included
    in the returned XML structure.

    More information (including an example) can be found at
    http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/generators/xpathdirectory-generator.html

    HTH,
    Gerald

    Gerald Aichholzer, Jul 30, 2004