File Upload

jerry

Hi,

I have struts application that handle file upload, and i have two
server for testing and for production. I used FileUpload
(org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase) to handle the
uploading. I tested to test server and it works well, but when i tried
to run to my prod server, I got throw error

org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of
multipart/form-data request failed. No space left on device
at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:
429)
at
org.apache.struts.upload.CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.handleRequest(CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.java:
233)
at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.populate(RequestUtils.java:
1209)

etc......

this error "No space left on device" what particular device it is
mean?

thanks.

Jerry Balingasa

Arne Vajhøj

jerry said:
[...]

The one returned by System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir") !

Arne

jerry

The one returned by System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir") !

Arne

That's mean, my temp dir is not enough space? because if I tried to
upload like 100kb file size it works, but when it comes to more than
400kb, that errors thrown(Processing of multipart/form-data request
failed. No space left on device).

Thanks...

Jerry Balingasa

Tim Slattery

jerry said:
That's mean, my temp dir is not enough space? because if I tried to
upload like 100kb file size it works, but when it comes to more than
400kb, that errors thrown(Processing of multipart/form-data request
failed. No space left on device).

I'd guess that there's not much space available on the disk where the
temp directory resides.

Jerry Balingasa

I'd guess that there's not much space available on the disk where the
temp directory resides.

I don't think it was the disk space, because i have enough space
available even in my temp dir.

any helps? :)

Jerry Balingasa

Nigel Wade

Jerry said:
I don't think it was the disk space, because i have enough space
available even in my temp dir.

any helps? :)

Did you check on the server, where it is being written?

Jerry Balingasa

Did you check on the server, where it is being written?

E-mail : (e-mail address removed)
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

Yes I did and there is a lot of space in my disk to handle a big
file..

If I upload about 120kb it works fine, but if I upload around 140kb
and up, the error comes up.
I upload a several times with file size 110kb and less to see if my
temp space is low but, it's all ok.. Or i just got a low resource like
vm? that's why i got that error.

Thanks..

Andreas Leitgeb

Jerry Balingasa said:
Yes I did and there is a lot of space in my disk to handle a big
file..

If I upload about 120kb it works fine, but if I upload around 140kb
and up, the error comes up.

Sorry, if it has been mentioned already, but is the server using some
"normal" protocol (http(PUT), ftp, scp), or is it just the server-part
of your application with some ad-hoc defined and implemented protocol?
Is the server completely under your control, or do you have
only that particular upload-protocol available to work on that
server?
I upload a several times with file size 110kb and less to see if my
temp space is low but, it's all ok.. Or i just got a low resource like
vm? that's why i got that error.

That's not the same, since the temp-space might be freed when
the upload of each of the small files is complete. This Temp-space
might even be in memory and thus be constrained by imposed memory-
usage limitations on the server.

Have you tried uploading these small files in parallel, if at all
possible?

Arne Vajhøj

Andreas said:
Sorry, if it has been mentioned already, but is the server using some
"normal" protocol (http(PUT), ftp, scp), or is it just the server-part
of your application with some ad-hoc defined and implemented protocol?
Is the server completely under your control, or do you have
only that particular upload-protocol available to work on that
server?

The original posts said Jakarta Commons FileUpload.

That implies HTTP POST.

Arne