Files not found after FTP

chon

We have an application that uses WinInet and ASP to transfer files from an
application server to a web server via an FTP component based on WinInet. An
ASP page calls this component to transfer the requested file then opens the
file and loads it into ADODB.Stream in order to download it to the user.
Things work fine up to the point where the Open|Save|Cancel dialog appears.
If the user clicks Open or Save, a fair percentage of the time, they get a
"File not found" error displaying the file name followed by a bracketed
number, e.g. file[1].txt. The reason the launching application can't find
the file is because of the bracketed number which is appended somewhere in
the process after the FTP download is completed. Question 1: where does the
bracketed number come from? Question 2: how can I prevent it from occurring?
Thanks.