Firefox reload page

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dave Blair, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Dave Blair

    Dave Blair Guest

    In firefox I can't get a page (which queries an SQL database and shows
    all the available records) to re-fresh with new updated data after a
    'javascript:history.go(-4)' is used to return to the page after a new
    record is added.

    I have the following code in the page which displays the records:

    <%
    Response.Buffer = True
    Response.ExpiresAbsolute = Now() - 1
    Response.Expires = 0
    Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"
    %>

    This should make it completly refresh the page rather than load it
    from the IIS server cache.

    Also I added:

    Which should mean that it's not reloading from any local browser
    cache.

    Anyone any ideas as to how to force a complete reload.
    I should mention that the page is in a frame, and that doing
    'right-click'->'This frame'->'Reload Frame' works as it should and
    refreshes the data properly.

    thanks for any help,
    Dave

    Dave Blair, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Dave Blair wrote:
    > In firefox I can't get a page (which queries an SQL database and shows
    > all the available records) to re-fresh with new updated data after a
    > 'javascript:history.go(-4)' is used to return to the page after a new
    > record is added...

    Isn't that the correct behavior? Cache control is for subsequent *requests*.
    You are not sending one.

    "History mechanisms and caches are different. In particular history
    mechanisms SHOULD NOT try to show a semantically transparent view
    of the current state of a resource. Rather, a history mechanism is
    meant to show exactly what the user saw at the time when the
    resource was retrieved."
    (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec13.html#sec13.13)

    > Anyone any ideas as to how to force a complete reload.

    Yes. Stop (ab)using history. Force the browser to send a request. Any of
    these are options:

    Response.Redirect(...)
    window.location.replace(...)
    window.location = "..."