Firefox - sliced rollover image leaving white borders?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Rod, Apr 2, 2006.

  1. Rod

    Rod Guest

    Hi.
    Thanks for being here -- this is a tough one for me...

    When I link a rollover graphic to one of my sliced images, it leaves an even
    dotted white line around three sides of the image after you click on the
    link and then go back to the page, similar to visiting linked text which
    turns a color after visiting. This doesn't happen in I.E., just Firefox,
    and it doesn't help to load the page in table form or layer form
    (Dreamweaver). I've set all table borders to "0".

    This doesn't happen to any of the other sliced images if I create a link --
    only to the rollover slice (consists of 2 jpgs - rollover state 1 = "over" -
    state 2 = "off". The rollover works great until you click on it, then you
    see the dotted line, and when you go back to the page it is quite visible
    and ugly!! Yikes.

    Anybody know a fix to this. It really ruins the look of the rollover to
    have this white box show up every time someone clicks on the image and goes
    back to the page.

    Thanks so much!!
    Rod

    Rod, Apr 2, 2006

  2. Rod

    Rod Guest

    Thanks for posting this. I appreciate it.
    I forgot to mention that the entire sliced image has a black
    background...you probably already figured that out!! Here it is if you would
    like to look (remember, use Firefox to look at it):

    http://www.whattacharacter.com/

    Thanks again!
    Rod

    Rod, Apr 2, 2006

  3. Rod

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Rod" <>
    declaimed:

    > Hi.
    > Thanks for being here -- this is a tough one for me...
    >
    > When I link a rollover graphic to one of my sliced images, it leaves
    > an even dotted white line around three sides of the image after you
    > click on the link and then go back to the page, similar to visiting
    > linked text which turns a color after visiting. This doesn't happen
    > in I.E., just Firefox, and it doesn't help to load the page in table
    > form or layer form (Dreamweaver). I've set all table borders to "0".
    >
    > This doesn't happen to any of the other sliced images if I create a
    > link -- only to the rollover slice (consists of 2 jpgs - rollover
    > state 1 = "over" - state 2 = "off". The rollover works great until
    > you click on it, then you see the dotted line, and when you go back to
    > the page it is quite visible and ugly!! Yikes.
    >
    > Anybody know a fix to this. It really ruins the look of the rollover
    > to have this white box show up every time someone clicks on the image
    > and goes back to the page.
    >
    > Thanks so much!!
    > Rod

    Change this:

    To this:
    onMouseUp="this.blur()" onMouseOver=....

    Usability purists might sqwack, but since you have only one link...

    --
    Neredbojias
    Apprentice Learner

    Neredbojias, Apr 3, 2006
  4. Rod

    Rod Guest

    Thanks! Thanks!
    May I ask why usability purists will squawk at this? We aren't breaking an
    ancient Masonic code here, are we?
    Thanks again,
    Rod

    "Neredbojias" <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> wrote in
    message news:Xns9799AB67A4C6Chttpwwwneredbojiasco@208.49.80.251...

    Rod, Apr 4, 2006
  5. Rod

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Rod" <>
    declaimed:

    >> Change this:
    >> onMouseOver=....
    >>
    >> To this:
    >> onMouseUp="this.blur()" onMouseOver=....
    >>
    >> Usability purists might sqwack, but since you have only one link...

    > Thanks! Thanks!
    > May I ask why usability purists will squawk at this? We aren't
    > breaking an ancient Masonic code here, are we?
    > Thanks again,
    > Rod

    Because it destroys the normal tabbing-order position of items that is
    usually retained between link accesses and allows users a means to return
    to their place in the queue. It's an accessibility issue which you may see
    in action, depending on your browser, etc., by using keyboard instead of
    mouse navigation.

    Btw, you can thank me by replying below the quoted text from now on.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.

    Neredbojias, Apr 4, 2006