float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down when openingfavoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

Discussion in 'HTML' started by shajnday, Oct 14, 2011.

  1. shajnday

    shajnday Guest

    Hi ALL!

    After finishing the "webpage" i had to make an overlook for the
    errors
    and for the things i had missed to check.

    I have found only this boring error which is showing in IE
    8.0.6001.18702 and opera 11.51,

    The error shows only when i have two boxes/DIVS one after another and
    both floated to left side, i.e. one besides another.

    So everyting is allright, but once i open Opera left toolbar or opera
    favorite links, or favorites(full column) in IE, the error shows up,
    the second DIV(box) goes under the webpage, you can try it out here:
    http://jai.comule.com/zahvati.html (i admit i must
    enter
    some fresh images and anew ones)...

    seems like there are several options to fix this problem, it goes to
    WIDTH tag and / or positioning approach, and perhaps some other
    third*
    options which i would rather like to hear for!!!

    The absolute positioning through the position. property is now too
    unstable to use , i think so.

    Here is what i had successfully fixed over the WIDTH tag:

    #contentZahvati1 { padding-top: 15px; float: left; margin-bottom:
    30px; padding-bottom: 20px; width: 550px; }

    #pasusZahvati1 {
    padding-left: 230px;
    font-family: arial;
    font-size: 12px;
    color: #454545;

    }

    #contentZahvati2 { padding-top: 15px; float: left; margin-bottom:
    20px; width: 400px; padding-left: 50px; }

    #pasusZahvati2 {
    padding-left: 50px;
    margin-top: 30px;
    color: #454545;
    font-family: arial;
    font-size: 12px;

    }

    You see, firstly the WIDTH tag wasn't defind not on the DIV tags not
    in the stylesheets...then i added for testing purposes...and it did
    had had effects.

    and here is the actual page: http://jai.comule.com/zahvati.html

    so i have added width for both divs(boxes), and now the main <div
    width="1100px"> is a wrapper over this two <divs> which are written
    about and it actually s working for opera but on easyphp server it's
    still pushed bellow ...but on the net it is showing good !?!?

    i just don't understand, where the catch is...

    does anybody has a tip for that ?

    much thanks,
    c.

    shajnday, Oct 14, 2011

  2. shajnday

    dorayme Guest

    Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down when opening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    In article
    <

    shajnday <> wrote:

    > Hi ALL!

    Post a URL that works. Having said that, older IE have float bugs
    and idiosyncratic interpretations of the the float rules and
    sometimes an author putting an explicit width or height can cure
    or fix the problem (for obscure reasons).

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 14, 2011

  3. Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <
    >> ,

    > shajnday<> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi ALL!

    > Post a URL that works. Having said that, older IE have float bugs
    > and idiosyncratic interpretations of the the float rules and
    > sometimes an author putting an explicit width or height can cure
    > or fix the problem (for obscure reasons).

    "This web page has been blocked by BitDefender Antivirus Real-time
    Protection!

    The web page blocked by BitDefender included objects that were either
    infected or likely to be infected with a virus. Your system has NOT been
    infected."

    Floats are the least of his problem...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 14, 2011
  4. Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >> shajnday<> wrote:
    >>> Hi ALL!

    >> Post a URL that works. Having said that, older IE have float bugs and
    >> idiosyncratic interpretations of the the float rules and sometimes an
    >> author putting an explicit width or height can cure or fix the problem
    >> (for obscure reasons).

    > "This web page has been blocked by BitDefender Antivirus Real-time
    > Protection!
    >
    > The web page blocked by BitDefender included objects that were either
    > infected or likely to be infected with a virus. Your system has NOT been
    > infected."
    >
    > Floats are the least of his problem...

    And now we have this!

    "Website Under Review"

    "You are seeing this page because the system administrator of
    000webhost.com is currently checking this website for malicious content.
    This redirect page will be removed once we finish manually checking all
    files on this account. Since we check over 100 websites per day, it can
    take about 2-4 hours to complete. If you are the owner of this website,
    you will get an email confirmation once it's done. If you are a visitor,
    please come back later."

    Heh. 000webhost.com

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 15, 2011
  5. shajnday

    shajnday Guest

    Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    On 15 list, 01:08, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > > dorayme wrote:

    > >> Post a URL that works. Having said that, older IE have float bugs and
    > >> idiosyncratic interpretations of the the float rules and sometimes an
    > >> author putting an explicit width or height can cure or fix the problem
    > >> (for obscure reasons).

    > > "This web page has been blocked by BitDefender Antivirus Real-time
    > > Protection!

    > > The web page blocked by BitDefender included objects that were either
    > > infected or likely to be infected with a virus. Your system has NOT been
    > > infected."

    > > Floats are the least of his problem...

    > And now we have this!
    >
    > "Website Under Review"
    >
    > "You are seeing this page because the system administrator of
    > 000webhost.com is currently checking this website for malicious content.
    > This redirect page will be removed once we finish manually checking all
    > files on this account. Since we check over 100 websites per day, it can
    > take about 2-4 hours to complete. If you are the owner of this website,
    > you will get an email confirmation once it's done. If you are a visitor,
    > please come back later."
    >
    > Heh.  000webhost.com
    >
    > --
    >    -bts
    >    -This space for rent, but the price is high- Sakrij citiranitekst -
    >
    > - Prikaži citirani tekst -

    yeah i have an another URL but would send it privately....(i don't
    know why :))

    Anyway i will post when the malicius content check will be finished.

    !!!

    shajnday, Oct 15, 2011
  6. Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    shajnday wrote:

    > yeah i have an another URL but would send it privately....(i don't know
    > why :))

    I don't know why, either.

    Ask in Usenet, get answers in Usenet.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 15, 2011
  7. shajnday

    shajnday Guest

    Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    ;)

    seems it works now, flawlessly except that error written above !!!

    shajnday, Oct 15, 2011
  8. shajnday

    shajnday Guest

    Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    It is working now, malicious check has been finished from 000webhost.

    shajnday, Oct 15, 2011
  9. Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    shajnday wrote:

    > It is working now, malicious check has been finished from 000webhost.

    I think you need to rethink your design entirely. It makes at least two
    assumptions that are never guaranteed:

    1) Your visitors will always have the exact same font and size with no
    minimum font size setting...(Set minimum font size to as little 14px and
    see what happens)

    2) Your visitors will always be using a device with a display with a
    resolution width 1280 or greater...(resize your window to 1048px or
    lower and see what happens)

    If you are committed to this virtual "printed book" design you will have
    to work out a way to make the background proportionally scalable to the
    content. Usually this involves elaborate slicing, overlapping bits. A
    web page is not paper and print where you can "fix" the size of the end
    result other than the horrific practice of using an image as a "webpage".

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 15, 2011
  10. shajnday

    shajnday Guest

    On 15 list, 15:28, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > shajnday wrote:
    >
    > > It is working now, malicious check has been finished from 000webhost.

    > I think you need to rethink your design entirely. It makes at least two
    > assumptions that are never guaranteed:
    >
    > 1) Your visitors will always have the exact same font and size with no
    > minimum font size setting...(Set minimum font size to as little 14px and
    > see what happens)
    >
    > 2) Your visitors will always be using a device with a display with a
    > resolution width 1280 or greater...(resize your window to 1048px or
    > lower and see what happens)
    >
    > If you are committed to this virtual "printed book" design you will have
    > to work out a way to make the background proportionally scalable to the
    > content. Usually this involves elaborate slicing, overlapping bits. A
    > web page is not paper and print where you can "fix" the size of the end
    > result other than the horrific practice of using an image as a "webpage".
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    The size is 12px at most paragraphs, it is as the default text size, i
    don't know indeed what will i get with minimum text-size at 14px. But
    i'll make a shot and test it, it's always i get unfinished things or
    Aha!s at the time i think i finally did it, finally i have finished
    it.

    seems i'm lacking still the basis which include: backgraound
    correlation with the content, inter-browsers views and adjustments,
    some ultra supreme the most important fixes for the content and layout
    for inter.browsing etc. ?

    could you direct me which things i'm still lacking upomost to start
    using that thngies and to learn them thoroughly !?

    Do you have an example of such designs ???
    it's just i find this design for this info site as the good-showing
    example and what i have thought in that moment the most creative to
    do.

    shajnday, Oct 15, 2011
  11. shajnday

    shajnday Guest

    Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    What would you suggest me dear folks to start with for this info page
    which will represent work i'm doing, i mean is it to play with WIDTH
    or position or what ??

    shajnday, Oct 15, 2011
  12. shajnday

    shajnday Guest

    Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    what you suggest what to do first, to manage the background image,,,.

    i,e. i know i somehow must to build a webpage(like a bob the builder)
    in a manner so that it is flexible in that way when you open anykind
    of browser so that it streches in width and in height which is always
    a 'standard' like a wall brick.

    where to begin ?

    shajnday, Oct 15, 2011
  13. Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    shajnday wrote:

    > what you suggest what to do first, to manage the background image,,,.
    >

    > i,e. i know i somehow must to build a webpage(like a bob the builder)
    > in a manner so that it is flexible in that way when you open anykind
    > of browser so that it streches in width and in height which is always
    > a 'standard' like a wall brick.
    >

    > where to begin ?

    I am not condoning the following author's solution, but showing that
    doing what you wish can be done but is not easy.

    <http://woork.blogspot.com/2008/03/liquid-expandable-section-with-rounded.html>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 15, 2011
  14. shajnday

    shajnday Guest

    On 15 list, 19:00, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > shajnday wrote:
    >
    > > what you suggest what to do first, to manage the background image,,,.

    > > i,e. i know i somehow must to build a webpage(like a bob the builder)
    > > in a manner so that it is flexible in that way when you open anykind
    > > of browser so that it streches in width and in height which is always
    > > a 'standard' like a wall brick.

    > > where to begin ?

    > I am not condoning the following author's solution, but showing that
    > doing what you wish can be done but is not easy.
    >
    > <http://woork.blogspot.com/2008/03/liquid-expandable-section-with-roun...>
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    naaa, this is too complicated to use, it requires javascrpiting
    knowledge which is out of my cognition,
    the very best i could use is positioning with an absolute property,
    could you teach me how to do that ?

    shajnday, Oct 15, 2011
  15. Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    shajnday wrote:
    > On 15 list, 19:00, "Jonathan N. Little"<> wrote:
    >> shajnday wrote:
    >>
    >>> what you suggest what to do first, to manage the background image,,,.

    >>> i,e. i know i somehow must to build a webpage(like a bob the builder)
    >>> in a manner so that it is flexible in that way when you open anykind
    >>> of browser so that it streches in width and in height which is always
    >>> a 'standard' like a wall brick.

    >>> where to begin ?

    >> I am not condoning the following author's solution, but showing that
    >> doing what you wish can be done but is not easy.
    >>
    >> <http://woork.blogspot.com/2008/03/liquid-expandable-section-with-roun...>

    <snip signature>

    > naaa, this is too complicated to use, it requires javascrpiting
    > knowledge which is out of my cognition,

    I warned you. But there are more ways to do it. Google is your friend.

    > the very best i could use is positioning with an absolute property,
    > could you teach me how to do that ?

    No. My advice is rethink your design. You can still have an attractive
    book restoration website without making your webpage look like it is
    printed in a book.

    *Also note it not proper etiquette in Usenet to private email folks
    without invitation or without getting permission first*

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 15, 2011
  16. shajnday

    shajnday Guest

    Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    I have managed t solve the primary problem, the crashing of right DIV
    block/box under the left DIV block/box, so for resolution of 1280 x
    800px in this moment is static and fixed. I just made a row into
    the .css coding.

    nothing especially valuable but it works!

    Now i'm going into the flexible design for older browsers ...and OSes
    with an older browsing programs.

    Seems there are bunch of problems out in that, lineheight which is
    causing pixels strange beahviours, whole WIDTH tag to manage somehow
    etc.etc.

    i still haven't uploaded the change i have made.

    ma.
    c.

    shajnday, Oct 15, 2011
  17. Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    shajnday wrote:

    > .. so for resolution of 1280 x 800px in this moment is static and fixed.

    So with my 1024x768 monitor, you want me to scroll horizontally to read
    your page? Not very nice of you...

    Horizontal scrolling is almost as annoying as the <blink> element.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 15, 2011
  18. shajnday

    shajnday Guest

    Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    On 15 list, 23:59, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > shajnday wrote:
    > > .. so for resolution of 1280 x 800px in this moment is static and fixed..

    > So with my 1024x768 monitor, you want me to scroll horizontally to read
    > your page? Not very nice of you...
    >
    > Horizontal scrolling is almost as annoying as the <blink> element.
    >
    > --
    >    -bts
    >    -This space for rent, but the price is high

    Budy, i just work the best i can work on it, would like to manage to
    solve this big problem,
    sitll trying to find a solution.

    thanks for da info!

    shajnday, Oct 15, 2011
  19. shajnday

    dorayme Guest

    Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down when opening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    In article <j7cvnq$5np$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > Horizontal scrolling is almost as annoying as the <blink> element

    On laptop pads, it is easy, you just do funny finger movements
    when no one is watching.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 16, 2011
  20. Re: float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down whenopening favoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

    dorayme wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >
    >> Horizontal scrolling is almost as annoying as the <blink> element

    > On laptop pads, it is easy, you just do funny finger movements when no
    > one is watching.

    ...like those funny reverse-pinching movements people make to their iPhones
    when they want to magnify a picture!

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 16, 2011