float problem, second of two boxes is being pushed down when openingfavoritesIE/or left bar in Opera

shajnday

Hi ALL!

After finishing the "webpage" i had to make an overlook for the
errors
and for the things i had missed to check.

I have found only this boring error which is showing in IE
8.0.6001.18702 and opera 11.51,

The error shows only when i have two boxes/DIVS one after another and
both floated to left side, i.e. one besides another.

So everyting is allright, but once i open Opera left toolbar or opera
favorite links, or favorites(full column) in IE, the error shows up,
the second DIV(box) goes under the webpage, you can try it out here:
http://jai.comule.com/zahvati.html (i admit i must
enter
some fresh images and anew ones)...

seems like there are several options to fix this problem, it goes to
WIDTH tag and / or positioning approach, and perhaps some other
third*
options which i would rather like to hear for!!!

The absolute positioning through the position. property is now too
unstable to use , i think so.

Here is what i had successfully fixed over the WIDTH tag:

#contentZahvati1 { padding-top: 15px; float: left; margin-bottom:
30px; padding-bottom: 20px; width: 550px; }

#pasusZahvati1 {
padding-left: 230px;
font-family: arial;
font-size: 12px;
color: #454545;

}

#contentZahvati2 { padding-top: 15px; float: left; margin-bottom:
20px; width: 400px; padding-left: 50px; }

#pasusZahvati2 {
padding-left: 50px;
margin-top: 30px;
color: #454545;
font-family: arial;
font-size: 12px;

}

You see, firstly the WIDTH tag wasn't defind not on the DIV tags not
in the stylesheets...then i added for testing purposes...and it did
had had effects.

and here is the actual page: http://jai.comule.com/zahvati.html

so i have added width for both divs(boxes), and now the main <div
width="1100px"> is a wrapper over this two <divs> which are written
about and it actually s working for opera but on easyphp server it's
still pushed bellow ...but on the net it is showing good !?!?

i just don't understand, where the catch is...

does anybody has a tip for that ?

much thanks,
c.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
<[email protected]

Post a URL that works. Having said that, older IE have float bugs
and idiosyncratic interpretations of the the float rules and
sometimes an author putting an explicit width or height can cure
or fix the problem (for obscure reasons).

"This web page has been blocked by BitDefender Antivirus Real-time
Protection!

The web page blocked by BitDefender included objects that were either
infected or likely to be infected with a virus. Your system has NOT been
infected."

Floats are the least of his problem...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jonathan said:
"This web page has been blocked by BitDefender Antivirus Real-time
Protection!

The web page blocked by BitDefender included objects that were either
infected or likely to be infected with a virus. Your system has NOT been
infected."

Floats are the least of his problem...

And now we have this!

"Website Under Review"

"You are seeing this page because the system administrator of
000webhost.com is currently checking this website for malicious content.
This redirect page will be removed once we finish manually checking all
files on this account. Since we check over 100 websites per day, it can
take about 2-4 hours to complete. If you are the owner of this website,
you will get an email confirmation once it's done. If you are a visitor,
please come back later."

Heh. 000webhost.com

shajnday

--
   -bts
   -This space for rent, but the price is high- Sakrij citiranitekst -

- Prikaži citirani tekst -

yeah i have an another URL but would send it privately....(i don't
know why :))

Anyway i will post when the malicius content check will be finished.

!!!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

shajnday wrote:

yeah i have an another URL but would send it privately....(i don't know
why :))

I don't know why, either.

Ask in Usenet, get answers in Usenet.

Jonathan N. Little

shajnday said:
It is working now, malicious check has been finished from 000webhost.

I think you need to rethink your design entirely. It makes at least two
assumptions that are never guaranteed:

1) Your visitors will always have the exact same font and size with no
minimum font size setting...(Set minimum font size to as little 14px and
see what happens)

2) Your visitors will always be using a device with a display with a
resolution width 1280 or greater...(resize your window to 1048px or
lower and see what happens)

If you are committed to this virtual "printed book" design you will have
to work out a way to make the background proportionally scalable to the
content. Usually this involves elaborate slicing, overlapping bits. A
web page is not paper and print where you can "fix" the size of the end
result other than the horrific practice of using an image as a "webpage".

shajnday

I think you need to rethink your design entirely. It makes at least two
assumptions that are never guaranteed:

1) Your visitors will always have the exact same font and size with no
minimum font size setting...(Set minimum font size to as little 14px and
see what happens)

2) Your visitors will always be using a device with a display with a
resolution width 1280 or greater...(resize your window to 1048px or
lower and see what happens)

If you are committed to this virtual "printed book" design you will have
to work out a way to make the background proportionally scalable to the
content. Usually this involves elaborate slicing, overlapping bits. A
web page is not paper and print where you can "fix" the size of the end
result other than the horrific practice of using an image as a "webpage".

The size is 12px at most paragraphs, it is as the default text size, i
don't know indeed what will i get with minimum text-size at 14px. But
i'll make a shot and test it, it's always i get unfinished things or
Aha!s at the time i think i finally did it, finally i have finished
it.

seems i'm lacking still the basis which include: backgraound
correlation with the content, inter-browsers views and adjustments,
some ultra supreme the most important fixes for the content and layout
for inter.browsing etc. ?

could you direct me which things i'm still lacking upomost to start
using that thngies and to learn them thoroughly !?

Do you have an example of such designs ???
it's just i find this design for this info site as the good-showing
example and what i have thought in that moment the most creative to
do.

shajnday

What would you suggest me dear folks to start with for this info page
which will represent work i'm doing, i mean is it to play with WIDTH
or position or what ??

shajnday

what you suggest what to do first, to manage the background image,,,.

i,e. i know i somehow must to build a webpage(like a bob the builder)
in a manner so that it is flexible in that way when you open anykind
of browser so that it streches in width and in height which is always
a 'standard' like a wall brick.

where to begin ?

Jonathan N. Little

shajnday said:
what you suggest what to do first, to manage the background image,,,.

i,e. i know i somehow must to build a webpage(like a bob the builder)
in a manner so that it is flexible in that way when you open anykind
of browser so that it streches in width and in height which is always
a 'standard' like a wall brick.

where to begin ?

I am not condoning the following author's solution, but showing that
doing what you wish can be done but is not easy.

<http://woork.blogspot.com/2008/03/liquid-expandable-section-with-rounded.html>

Jonathan N. Little

naaa, this is too complicated to use, it requires javascrpiting
knowledge which is out of my cognition,

I warned you. But there are more ways to do it. Google is your friend.
the very best i could use is positioning with an absolute property,
could you teach me how to do that ?

No. My advice is rethink your design. You can still have an attractive
book restoration website without making your webpage look like it is
printed in a book.

*Also note it not proper etiquette in Usenet to private email folks
without invitation or without getting permission first*

shajnday

I have managed t solve the primary problem, the crashing of right DIV
block/box under the left DIV block/box, so for resolution of 1280 x
800px in this moment is static and fixed. I just made a row into
the .css coding.

nothing especially valuable but it works!

Now i'm going into the flexible design for older browsers ...and OSes
with an older browsing programs.

Seems there are bunch of problems out in that, lineheight which is
causing pixels strange beahviours, whole WIDTH tag to manage somehow
etc.etc.

i still haven't uploaded the change i have made.

ma.
c.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

shajnday said:
.. so for resolution of 1280 x 800px in this moment is static and fixed.

So with my 1024x768 monitor, you want me to scroll horizontally to read
your page? Not very nice of you...

Horizontal scrolling is almost as annoying as the <blink> element.

shajnday

So with my 1024x768 monitor, you want me to scroll horizontally to read
your page? Not very nice of you...

Horizontal scrolling is almost as annoying as the <blink> element.

Budy, i just work the best i can work on it, would like to manage to
solve this big problem,
sitll trying to find a solution.

thanks for da info!

dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Horizontal scrolling is almost as annoying as the <blink> element

On laptop pads, it is easy, you just do funny finger movements
when no one is watching.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
On laptop pads, it is easy, you just do funny finger movements when no
one is watching.

...like those funny reverse-pinching movements people make to their iPhones
when they want to magnify a picture!