Foms Authentication questions

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by gerry, Dec 24, 2005.

  1. gerry

    gerry Guest

    I have been working through the quickstart tutorials at www.asp.net

    Everything was going very well until I got the section : Creating a Site
    Navigation Hierarchy > Using the Site Navigation API > Site Navigation
    Security

    The documentation and example for this section state that forms
    authentication is being setup to use the credentials section of web.config
    to authenticate users and that roles are assigned programmatically in
    Application_PostAuthenticateRequest.
    I have set things up according to the example but anytime I try to log in
    the whole process hangs trying to access SQL server to do the
    authentication. Other docs state that SqlServer is the default store for
    authentication/role data. Is the example completely bogus in stating that
    the web.config/Application_PostAuthenticateRequest data can be used or is
    there some configuration setting somewhere that they failed to mention that
    needs to be set in order to get this to work ?

    Additionally, I set a breakpoint in Application_PostAuthenticateRequest and
    am really confused because after I enter username & password & hit submit ,
    this method is called, IsAuthenticated is false, and then SQL server is
    accessed - shouldn't the attempt to authenticate against SQL server happen
    BEFORE Application_PostAuthenticateRequest is called ?

    Gerry

    gerry, Dec 24, 2005