Foms Authentication questions

gerry

I have been working through the quickstart tutorials at www.asp.net

Everything was going very well until I got the section : Creating a Site
Navigation Hierarchy > Using the Site Navigation API > Site Navigation
Security

The documentation and example for this section state that forms
authentication is being setup to use the credentials section of web.config
to authenticate users and that roles are assigned programmatically in
Application_PostAuthenticateRequest.
I have set things up according to the example but anytime I try to log in
the whole process hangs trying to access SQL server to do the
authentication. Other docs state that SqlServer is the default store for
authentication/role data. Is the example completely bogus in stating that
the web.config/Application_PostAuthenticateRequest data can be used or is
there some configuration setting somewhere that they failed to mention that
needs to be set in order to get this to work ?

Additionally, I set a breakpoint in Application_PostAuthenticateRequest and
am really confused because after I enter username & password & hit submit ,
this method is called, IsAuthenticated is false, and then SQL server is
accessed - shouldn't the attempt to authenticate against SQL server happen
BEFORE Application_PostAuthenticateRequest is called ?

Gerry