form size with different client resolutions

Joe Bonavita

My Web forms display differently on different machine with the same
resolution. The pages are designed to fit in 800*600 res but on some
machines with 800*600 the form appears too big.

Are there any built in functions to adjust the form based on resolution?
Is there a way to detect the clients resolution?
1 last one, when using an image, how do I get the image to stay
proportionate when reduced?

Thanks,
Joe

Ken Schaefer

What type of positioning are you using for your form elements?

Something like this:

<form runat="server" id="myForm>
<input type="text"><br />
<input type="submit">
</form>

will look the same no matter what size the browser is. I would start by
looking at how you are positioning your form elements (eg are they
positioned relative to the size of the browser?)

Cheers
Ken

:
: Are there any built in functions to adjust the form based on resolution?
: Is there a way to detect the clients resolution?
: 1 last one, when using an image, how do I get the image to stay
: proportionate when reduced?
:
: Thanks,
: Joe
:
:

Joe Bonavita

what does input type do?

Also, how do I set the positioning relative to the browser?

(forgive me, I'm new to this stuff. Buying a book in the morning - any
suggestions?)

Thanks,
Joe

bruce barker

you users are probably using different font sizes. unless you can control
the fonts and resolution of your users' machines (say thru sms), you should
not use grid layout or you have this problem.

if you want to use grid layout and con not control the font size and screen
resolution, then you need to write client code that adjusts the widths of
the controls and recalcs the offsets.

client code can detect the screen resolution and send it to the server, but
it can not directy know the font size. the best you can do is render some
know text, then send back to the server its actual rendered width and
height. you would do this on a sniffer page.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Ken Schaefer

I suggest you get a book on HTML then

<input type="text">

is the HTML that creates a standard text input box on a browser. The <input
type="submit"> creates the standard grey button that is used to submit a
form.

Cheers
Ken

: what does input type do?
:
: Also, how do I set the positioning relative to the browser?
:
: (forgive me, I'm new to this stuff. Buying a book in the morning - any
: suggestions?)
:
: Thanks,
: Joe
:
: : > What type of positioning are you using for your form elements?
: >
: > Something like this:
: >
: > <form runat="server" id="myForm>
: > <input type="text"><br />
: > <input type="submit">
: > </form>
: >
: > will look the same no matter what size the browser is. I would start by
: > looking at how you are positioning your form elements (eg are they
: > positioned relative to the size of the browser?)
: >
: > Cheers
: > Ken
: >
: > : > : My Web forms display differently on different machine with the same
: > : resolution. The pages are designed to fit in 800*600 res but on some
: > : machines with 800*600 the form appears too big.
: > :