FormMail

Discussion in 'HTML' started by wayne, Dec 25, 2004.

  1. wayne

    wayne Guest

    My ISP has cgimail, formmail (NMS v 3.05) and wwwboard available for my use.

    I had the scripts working in the past, but when attempting to uss css to
    style the forms, I somehow broke all of the forms.

    I reinstalled the scripts using the ISP's tool, and cannot get them
    setup again.

    If I use the standard set-up, I receive a styled message that the
    recipient is not authorized. When I change the settings in FormMail.pl
    to include those I want to sent mail to in either @reipients or
    %recipients alias, I then get another error:

    Application Error

    An error has occurred in the program

    close sendmail pipe failed, mailprog=[/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t] at (eval
    8) line 108.

    Doing a google search does not give me much to work with. Are any users
    here familiar with formmail?

    Should I be using cgimail instead?

    Wayne

    wayne, Dec 25, 2004

  2. wayne

    Neal Guest

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:25:14 GMT, wayne <> wrote:

    > My ISP has cgimail, formmail (NMS v 3.05) and wwwboard available for my
    > use.

    Post a URL.

    Neal, Dec 26, 2004

  3. wayne

    wayne Guest

    Neal wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:25:14 GMT, wayne <> wrote:
    >
    >> My ISP has cgimail, formmail (NMS v 3.05) and wwwboard available for
    >> my use.

    > Post a URL.

    http://www.glenmeadows.com/cathy.html

    is supposed to send an email to the management company. Without an
    email addresss, I get an error from formmail stating invalid address.
    With an address, I receive the previously posted error every time, even
    though the address I'm trying to send to is in the %reci[pient_alias list.

    Wayne

    wayne, Dec 26, 2004
  4. wayne

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 05:23:48 GMT, wayne <> wrote:

    > Neal wrote:
    >> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:25:14 GMT, wayne <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My ISP has cgimail, formmail (NMS v 3.05) and wwwboard available for
    >>> my use.

    >> Post a URL.

    > http://www.glenmeadows.com/cathy.html
    >
    > is supposed to send an email to the management company. Without an
    > email addresss, I get an error from formmail stating invalid address.
    > With an address, I receive the previously posted error every time, even
    > though the address I'm trying to send to is in the %reci[pient_alias
    > list.

    Try deleting formmail and re-uploading it. See if the error persists. Mind
    how you're uploading the script.

    If that doesn't solve it, check a newsgroup devoted to perl.

    Neal, Dec 26, 2004
  5. wayne

    wayne Guest

    Neal wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 05:23:48 GMT, wayne <> wrote:
    >
    >> Neal wrote:

    >>> Post a URL.

    >> http://www.glenmeadows.com/cathy.html
    >>
    >> is supposed to send an email to the management company. Without an
    >> email addresss, I get an error from formmail stating invalid address.
    >> With an address, I receive the previously posted error every time,
    >> even though the address I'm trying to send to is in the
    >> %reci[pient_alias list.

    > Try deleting formmail and re-uploading it. See if the error persists.
    > Mind how you're uploading the script.
    >
    > If that doesn't solve it, check a newsgroup devoted to perl.

    Deleted the file, reloaded from host script, same issue. Nothing different.

    Thanks for the input.

    Wayne

    wayne, Dec 26, 2004
  6. wayne

    mbstevens Guest

    wayne wrote:

    > Neal wrote:

    >>> http://www.glenmeadows.com/cathy.html
    >>>
    >>> is supposed to send an email to the management company. Without an
    >>> email addresss, I get an error from formmail stating invalid address.
    >>> With an address, I receive the previously posted error every time,
    >>> even though the address I'm trying to send to is in the
    >>> %reci[pient_alias list.

    >> Try deleting formmail and re-uploading it. See if the error persists.
    >> Mind how you're uploading the script.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't solve it, check a newsgroup devoted to perl.

    > Deleted the file, reloaded from host script, same issue. Nothing
    > different.
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > Wayne

    I'm getting the same errors.

    In your form...
    <input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="cathy" />
    is referring to the recipient alias *Hash* which should look something like:
    $recipient_alias = (
    'cathy' => '',
    'moe' => '',
    '1' => '',
    );
    So, you have this correct? Fine.
    _____________

    But I don't think it has anything to do with the script's aggressive checks
    of the sender's email address. This recipient_alias hash is about the
    receiver's (your or your client's) email addresses, not the sender's
    address.

    Your form seems to be set up correctly (according to the formmail docs):
    <input type="text" name="email" value="Your Email?" />
    AFAIK, the only variable in the script itself that you can set that refers
    to this is:
    $address_style
    ....so you might try fooling around with that. Don't know if it will help.
    You could look at the function that does the input error checking, too, the
    CGI::NMS::Validator - validation methods in the script. Trace around and
    see if there is anything else you could set that would affect this section.
    ______________________

    Do you really need all the features supplied by this script?

    Just my opinion, but 77K is one hell of a lot of firepower to throw at a
    simple mail form. Any book on CGI/Perl will have a program of about 50
    *lines* (under 2K) that will do what most people need, you'll learn a
    little perl making the mods to get it running on your server, and it'll
    load and run faster.
    --
    mbstevens http://www.mbstevens.com/bc.pl
    (computing menu under CGI/Perl for resources.)

    mbstevens, Dec 26, 2004
  7. wayne

    mbstevens Guest

    mbstevens, Dec 26, 2004
  8. wayne

    wayne Guest

    mbstevens wrote:
    > wayne wrote:
    >

    >>Neal wrote:

    >>>Try deleting formmail and re-uploading it. See if the error persists.
    >>>Mind how you're uploading the script.
    >>>
    >>>If that doesn't solve it, check a newsgroup devoted to perl.

    >>Deleted the file, reloaded from host script, same issue. Nothing
    >>different.
    >>
    >>Thanks for the input.
    >>
    >>Wayne

    > I'm getting the same errors.
    >
    > In your form...
    > <input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="cathy" />
    > is referring to the recipient alias *Hash* which should look something like:
    > $recipient_alias = (
    > 'cathy' => '',
    > 'moe' => '',
    > '1' => '',
    > );
    > So, you have this correct? Fine.
    > _____________
    >
    > But I don't think it has anything to do with the script's aggressive checks
    > of the sender's email address. This recipient_alias hash is about the
    > receiver's (your or your client's) email addresses, not the sender's
    > address.
    >
    > Your form seems to be set up correctly (according to the formmail docs):
    > <input type="text" name="email" value="Your Email?" />
    > AFAIK, the only variable in the script itself that you can set that refers
    > to this is:
    > $address_style
    > ...so you might try fooling around with that. Don't know if it will help.
    > You could look at the function that does the input error checking, too, the
    > CGI::NMS::Validator - validation methods in the script. Trace around and
    > see if there is anything else you could set that would affect this section.
    > ______________________
    >
    > Do you really need all the features supplied by this script?
    >
    > Just my opinion, but 77K is one hell of a lot of firepower to throw at a
    > simple mail form. Any book on CGI/Perl will have a program of about 50
    > *lines* (under 2K) that will do what most people need, you'll learn a
    > little perl making the mods to get it running on your server, and it'll
    > load and run faster.

    Thank you for your help. I will check on a smaller script file.

    Update- I called my ISP technical support this morning. The technician
    fixed the problem in about 30 seconds.

    I uploaded the news=est version of NMS formmail and then received a
    different error message - one stating the script could not find
    /usr/lib/sendmail. The technician asked for the file containing the
    form, did some typing and said it was fixed. He said he fixed a line in
    the script. I did a compare on the file he fixed and the one I
    uploaded, the difference was:

    orginal:
    $mailprog '/usr/lib/sendmail'
    fixed:
    $mailprog '/usr/sbin/sendmail'

    The file installed by the ISP's installation routine has
    '/usr/lib/sendmail'

    Wayne

    wayne, Dec 26, 2004
  9. wayne

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:58:57 GMT, wayne <> wrote:
    > I uploaded the news=est version of NMS formmail and then received a
    > different error message - one stating the script could not find
    > /usr/lib/sendmail. The technician asked for the file containing the
    > form, did some typing and said it was fixed. He said he fixed a line in
    > the script. I did a compare on the file he fixed and the one I
    > uploaded, the difference was:
    >
    > orginal:
    > $mailprog '/usr/lib/sendmail'
    > fixed:
    > $mailprog '/usr/sbin/sendmail'
    >
    > The file installed by the ISP's installation routine has
    > '/usr/lib/sendmail'

    I figured it was something like that, too bad I fell asleep last night.
    Glad it got fixed up.

    Now please, next time on a newsgroup, trim the quotes a little! Leave just
    enough for context and attribution, snip the rest.

    Neal, Dec 26, 2004