frame and space

Whitecrest

Some of us are perfectly aware of the (brain-dead) popular
(lemming-like) trends in (retarded) corporate America. We just can't
stand them.

Which is why I say it is a matter of personal choice. If you like that
kind of thing then you tend to visit that kind of site. If you don't
(say you are in a backward country with limited broadband or something)
then you don't visit them. But there is a HUGE demand for it. Pretty
simple concept you don't seem to be able to grasp.

Oh yea, http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.htm

Sean Jorden

Which is why I say it is a matter of personal choice. If you like that
kind of thing then you tend to visit that kind of site. If you don't
(say you are in a backward country with limited broadband or something)

I wouldn't exactly call 35% broadband penetration in the USA ubiquitous.
<http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0306/>. Maybe you should move your
company to Korea.

then you don't visit them. But there is a HUGE demand for it. Pretty
simple concept you don't seem to be able to grasp.

And believe it or not, a large number of active macromedia and multimedia
newsgroups do exist which revolve around that demand.

Whitecrest

And believe it or not, a large number of active macromedia and multimedia
newsgroups do exist which revolve around that demand.

You are right, and this group also deals with concepts related to the
web, which is directly related to flash. That is why I enjoy the group.
A lot of the old regulars are gone now <sigh>

EightNineThree

Whitecrest said:
Which is why I say it is a matter of personal choice. If you like that
kind of thing then you tend to visit that kind of site. If you don't
(say you are in a backward country with limited broadband or something)
then you don't visit them.

60% of users are only capable of connecting at 56kbps or slower.
As you know, actual connection speeds are likely to be slower than the
modem's stated capabilities.

Whitecrest

60% of users are only capable of connecting at 56kbps or slower.
As you know, actual connection speeds are likely to be slower than the
modem's stated capabilities.

And the sites we work on cater to the other 40%. It is ok to cater to a
specific audience.

EightNineThree

Whitecrest said:
And the sites we work on cater to the other 40%. It is ok to cater to a
specific audience.

I love it.
Even if I said 98%, you'd say "We cater to the other 2%"

Whitecrest

I love it.
Even if I said 98%, you'd say "We cater to the other 2%"

A good sign that someone has lost an argument is when they tell you what
the other side "will say". The reason they do this is because they can
no longer defend their position.

Apparently you have reached that point.

EightNineThree

Whitecrest said:
A good sign that someone has lost an argument is when they tell you what
the other side "will say". The reason they do this is because they can
no longer defend their position.

Apparently you have reached that point.

A good sign someone has lost an argument is when they continue to respond
with continuous "exceptions" - especially when my points revolve around
actual statistics and yours revolve around whatever you're apparently making
up at the time.

Today I viewed data that only 20% of respondents to a large study by Raddon
Financial Group have access to a broadband Internet connection.

Lemme just guess what your response will be...

Whitecrest

Today I viewed data that only 20% of respondents to a large study by Raddon
Financial Group have access to a broadband Internet connection.

Lemme just guess what your response will be...

Let me ask you, of that 20%, how much data do you think they have on
them. I would guess they know where they live (billing records are
sellable), the kinds of sites they, as a group (Information about the
URLS that providers visit is legal to sell), visit, their income level
(based on the average income of a neighborhood). And a lot of other
information. There are hundreds of companys out there that make a very
good income doing nothing more than collecting data.

And you want me to believe that corporations are too stupid to look at
that data and make assumptions about what will or won't work to get the
best bang for the buck out of their web site.

The point is that there is a huge audience that WANTS to see stuff like
flash and multimedia and anything else fancy or new. They prefer sites
that use it. And many employers pay more if you know how to do it (even
more if you know how to do it and make it 508 compliant). And it is
perfectly ok to cater your site to this group of people no matter what
you sell, or do on the web. If you are getting the return you are
looking for, from the people you are trying to reach, then you have
succeeded.

That is why some corporations use it. And believe me, if they ever stop
using it, then I will be right at your side not using it. I am
flexible, but as long as it is a feather in your cap to be able to do
this kind of creative work, I will continue to support it and promote
it.