Frame question

Blurg

Hi,
I have a problem with my webpage. It uses two frames, the left one for the
contents list and the right one for the body content.
Now, when I look up a page in for example google, then it's always choosing
the body (right frame) and this way people only get the requested page in
question without the left frame. I like to find a way that if such a page is
requested, it's always requesting the left frame too.
Is this possible, or do I need to use some Javascript or something? I'd like
to try this without a server-side scripting language.

to see what I mean: when I try to find a page in google about I get for
example this page as a result:
http://metafysica.nl/crystal.html
But I need it to have it in the right frame like this http://metafysica.nl

Jurgen

Hywel Jenkins

Hi,
I have a problem with my webpage. It uses two frames, the left one for the
contents list and the right one for the body content.
Now, when I look up a page in for example google, then it's always choosing
the body (right frame) and this way people only get the requested page in
question without the left frame. I like to find a way that if such a page is
requested, it's always requesting the left frame too.
Is this possible, or do I need to use some Javascript or something? I'd like
to try this without a server-side scripting language.

to see what I mean: when I try to find a page in google about I get for
example this page as a result:
http://metafysica.nl/crystal.html
But I need it to have it in the right frame like this http://metafysica.nl

You could solve this with JavaScript, or you could just drop the frames
entirely and use SSI for you common elements. Can you now see why
frames are evil? That alert on entry is fscking stupid, too.

David Dorward

Blurg said:
I have a problem with my webpage. It uses two frames, the left one for the
contents list and the right one for the body content.

Oh dear
Now, when I look up a page in for example google, then it's always
choosing the body (right frame) and this way people only get the requested
page in question without the left frame.

This is one of the limitations of frames. While its possible to work around
this, its much easier to replace the frames with something better (solving
half a dozen other problems in the process).

http://dorward.me.uk/www/frame/ has some pointers.

David Dorward

Blurg said:
I have a problem with my webpage. It uses two frames, the left one for the
contents list and the right one for the body content.

Oh dear
Now, when I look up a page in for example google, then it's always
choosing the body (right frame) and this way people only get the requested
page in question without the left frame.

This is one of the limitations of frames. While its possible to work around
this, its much easier to replace the frames with something better (solving
half a dozen other problems in the process).

http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/ has some pointers.

JT

Blurg said:
I have a problem with my webpage. It uses two frames, the left one for the
contents list and the right one for the body content.
Now, when I look up a page in for example google, then it's always choosing
the body (right frame)

This is because you have your title and meta tags in the right frame, these
should be in your index page. Your left frame needs adjusting as it has a
lower scroll bar.

www.raph.nl

Blurg said:
Hi,
I have a problem with my webpage. It uses two frames, the left one
for the contents list and the right one for the body content.
Now, when I look up a page in for example google, then it's always
choosing the body (right frame) and this way people only get the
requested page in question without the left frame. I like to find a
way that if such a page is requested, it's always requesting the left
frame too.
Is this possible, or do I need to use some Javascript or something?
I'd like to try this without a server-side scripting language.

to see what I mean: when I try to find a page in google about I get
for example this page as a result:
http://metafysica.nl/crystal.html
But I need it to have it in the right frame like this
http://metafysica.nl

Jurgen

Hi Jurgen,

Take a look at my test page www.raph.nl/test
This page possesses the most important advantage of frames, but not the
(many) disadvantages. Let's call it a 'frameless CSS frame'.
It's still a prototype, but I haven't yet found a disadvantage of this
solution. The information on the page is fully accessible in browsers that
have no or insufficient CSS support.

CU!

Raph
www.raph.nl

Blurg

Now, I will investigate the solutions, as there are more techniques to this
kind of problem, as I can see now.
Thank you all for this help, and Mr Jenkins, what an interesting way to make
yourself clear.

Jurgen