Frames not working

meghanwh

I'm trying to set up a very basic html page, and for the first time
ever am using an HTML editor (I used to just write the code in notepad
and the ftp it). I'm trying to do some basic frames on the page, but
only the header is showing up. I've already checked and the other pages
are on the server and come up as they should separately. Does anyone
know why this would happen? Thanks. Here's the code:

<HTML>

<FONT SIZE=4 COLOR="#000000" FACE="Courier New">
<HEAD>Johanna's Run for Recovery</HEAD>

<FRAMESET ROWS="100%" COLS="33%,33%,*">
<FRAME NAME="Goals" SRC="intro.html" SCROLLING="AUTO">
<FRAMESET ROWS="50%,*">
<FRAME NAME="Intro" SRC="intro.html" SCROLLING="AUTO">
<FRAME NAME="News" SRC="news.html" SCROLLING="AUTO">
</FRAMESET>
<FRAMESET ROWS="50%,*">
<FRAME NAME="Sponsors" SRC="sponsors.html" SCROLLING="AUTO">
<FRAME NAME="Links" SRC="links.html" SCROLLING="AUTO">
</FRAMESET>
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>

dorayme

[...]

This is so wrong that it is impossible to know where to start. I
suggest you look up any googled tute on frames and study it
closely. They are fun to play with and you will go from there and
see the strengths and disadvantages.

meghanwh

OK I went through a few tutorials, and I've changed the code to have a
very basic frame and it's still not working. It just shows the header.
Any ideas? Here's the code for my index.html page:

<HTML>

<FONT SIZE=4 COLOR="#000000" FACE="Courier New">
<HEAD>Johanna's Run for Recovery</HEAD>

<frameset cols="120,*" >
<frame src="intro.html" name="menu" >
<frame src="links.html" name="main" >
</frameset>

dorayme

OK I went through a few tutorials, and I've changed the code to have a
very basic frame and it's still not working. It just shows the header.
Any ideas? Here's the code for my index.html page:

<HTML>

<FONT SIZE=4 COLOR="#000000" FACE="Courier New">
<HEAD>Johanna's Run for Recovery</HEAD>

<frameset cols="120,*" >
<frame src="intro.html" name="menu" >
<frame src="links.html" name="main" >
</frameset>

</HTML>

Please do not top post.

From which tutorial did you get the idea to put the <FONT... >
stuff where you put it?

Or to leave out the DTD? Like

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

Or the <TITLE> in the head

<TITLE> Johanna's Run for Recovery</TITLE>

Or to put text bare in the head?

Now, about the business of it "still not working", you have 2
options. Provide a URL so others can see what is happening or not
happening. Or describe better what you are doing? Have you even
got the two files made that should be called "intro.html" and
"links.html"? And are they where the above markup assumes they
are, ie in the same directory as whatever you are calling the
frameset doc. What are you calling it? "something.html" I hope?
What browser are you using?

meghanwh

dorayme said:
Please do not top post.

From which tutorial did you get the idea to put the <FONT... >
stuff where you put it?

Or to leave out the DTD? Like

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

Or the <TITLE> in the head

<TITLE> Johanna's Run for Recovery</TITLE>

Or to put text bare in the head?

Now, about the business of it "still not working", you have 2
options. Provide a URL so others can see what is happening or not
happening. Or describe better what you are doing? Have you even
got the two files made that should be called "intro.html" and
"links.html"? And are they where the above markup assumes they
are, ie in the same directory as whatever you are calling the
frameset doc. What are you calling it? "something.html" I hope?
What browser are you using?

I just googled a tutorial, it actually didn't say anything about the
DTD. The url is http://people.bu.edu/mwh I have made the files called
intro.html and links.html, and they do show up at
http://people.bu.edu/mwh/intro.html (or ...links.html). The frameset is
just on the frontpage, so the document is called index.html. Thanks so
much, any ideas are appreciated.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

I just googled a tutorial, it actually didn't say anything about the
DTD. The url is http://people.bu.edu/mwh

Please erase that URL from your bookmarks. It is totally wrong.

A quick google for: frames tutorial
turned up
Results 1 - 10 of about 16,600,000 for frames tutorial. (0.93 seconds)

Maybe this one will suffice:
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/frames/frames.html

Then be sure to study this page before you get too deep:
http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

dorayme

I just googled a tutorial, it actually didn't say anything about the
DTD. The url is http://people.bu.edu/mwh I have made the files called
intro.html and links.html, and they do show up at
http://people.bu.edu/mwh/intro.html (or ...links.html). The frameset is
just on the frontpage, so the document is called index.html. Thanks so
much, any ideas are appreciated.

In your html for http://people.bu.edu/mwh/, you have

<frame src="intro.html" name="menu" >
<frame src="links.htm" name="main" >

There is no file called links.htm (you need to put .html in this
case to target the file you have on the server)

You have too many things wrong. You are probably wanting to have
links on left and content on right? Whatever. If you make up this
as a doc:

<HTML>

<HEAD><title>Some title</title></HEAD>

<frameset cols="200px,*" >

<frame src="http://people.bu.edu/mwh/links.html" name="main" >
<frame src="http://people.bu.edu/mwh/intro.html" name="menu" >
</frameset>

</HTML>

unsatisfactory as it is, and call it index.html and load it up to
you server, you might get what you want. I have been more
generous with links col width. If you really want the links on
the right, reverse the files in the frameset from my suggestion.

Read and study deeply what i said about the DTD

But stop... you better start reading

http://www.htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/

However, if you insist on frames, look at it like baking a cake
.... or better, making a picnic:

http://webmonkey.com/webmonkey/96/31/index3a.html?tw=authoring

:)

I know, Mr. Korpela, I do wrong and bring the church in
disrepute. But have mercy upon my soul. Mate, just trying to
build up brownie points for that big meeting with St Peter at The
Gates.