    Any pointers on how to accomplish this with no failover or redundant
    server(no hardware upgrade)?

    Thanks!!

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlmZmlkZW50?=, Jul 6, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGlmZmlkZW50?=

    intrader Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 11:07:03 -0700, Diffident wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > How can one be redirected to a friendly page when web server is down for
    > maintenance or daily builds?
    >
    > One technique I tried was reading from a configuration file and redirecting
    > the users to a different page. But since the configuration file and the
    > webform which reads it are both part of application , this technique would
    > fail to redirect when web server is down.
    >
    > Any pointers on how to accomplish this with no failover or redundant
    > server(no hardware upgrade)?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    The best that I have done about this problem is to detect via javascript
    that the response indicates that the server is down and replace the entire
    body with your own at the client

    intrader, Jul 6, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RGlmZmlkZW50?=

    jasonkester Guest

    We keep a second web site configured just for maintenance. It has our
    maintenance message, and some of the static portions of the site. When
    it comes time to deploy, we stop production and start the maintenance
    site. Once the deploy is finished, we just flip back to production.

    Good luck!

    Jason Kester
    Expat Software Consulting Services
    http://www.expatsoftware.com/

    jasonkester, Jul 6, 2005
  4. Define "web server down"?

    If the server is really down, how would you expect
    any option to work?

    --
    2004 and 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
    Robbe Morris

    Earn $$$ money answering .NET Framework
    messageboard posts at EggHeadCafe.com.
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/merit.asp

    Robbe Morris [C# MVP], Jul 7, 2005
  5. Diffident shared this with us in
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > How can one be redirected to a friendly page when web server is down
    > for maintenance or daily builds?
    >
    > One technique I tried was reading from a configuration file and
    > redirecting the users to a different page. But since the
    > configuration file and the webform which reads it are both part of
    > application , this technique would fail to redirect when web server
    > is down.
    >
    > Any pointers on how to accomplish this with no failover or redundant
    > server(no hardware upgrade)?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    With no redundant server? When the webserver is really down? Can pigs
    fly?

    Your spare server can be a really cheap box with a static page that
    only says "sorry we're closed for maintenance". Hey, you can even run a
    few static web pages on those home broadband routers from Linksys! They
    come for less than 80€ or cheaper.

    When it is maintenance time, you simply change the dns entry from your
    real web server to your cheapo spare box.

    --
    Amedee Van Gasse

    Amedee Van Gasse, Jul 7, 2005