From IDL to Python

Chris

Hi,

I'm an IDL user since years and try now to learn Python since a few
days.
I'm blogging the various steps of this transition to: http://idl2python.blogspot.com/
I hope that other IDL switchers can help me by commenting on the blog
and helping (me and others) to learn quickly the basics of Python.
Cheers,
Christophe

kBob

Hi,

I'm an IDL user since years and try now to learn Python since a few
days.
I'm blogging the various steps of this transition to:http://idl2python.blogspot.com/
I hope that other IDL switchers can help me by commenting on the blog
and helping (me and others) to learn quickly the basics of Python.
Cheers,
Christophe

I have been using IDL and ENVI for years and started working with
Python this summer. Mostly, as I find myself working with ArcGIS users
and Python is popular among this group. I couldn't convinced them that
IDL/ENVI was easier.

Did my first "widget" with Python/Tkinter, which does require more
work. Still can't get my Python version of the Widget/Hourglass to
work correctly. However, you see, you may have to rebuild those IDL
routines your so use to using in IDL.

However, some areas are alot easier with Python like XML and Net URL
stuff (working on OGC WMS and WFS project). There is plenty of
examples to help you out.

Maybe I should start my own blog spot, just to share my experiences.

Kelly Dean
Milliken, CO