From the Tutorial Wiki: suggested restructure

Gerard Flanagan

For anyone interested, here's a blog entry I've added over at the
Tutorial Wiki:

As mentioned by effbot in the previous post I've put together a
suggested alternative factoring of the Tutorial
here(http://pytut.infogami.com/gerard_refactor). At the minute it just
amounts to a carving-up of the existing material into two sections:
beginners and intermediate. It's a bit stilted in places, but not
excessively. There's also a suggested advanced section - I'm not an
advanced user myself so I don't really know what would be appropriate
here. Each section in the beginners tutorial has links to relevant FAQS
at pyfaq.infogami.com. I also thought the FAQS could be preceded by
suitable examples, and maybe there could be a final chapter of
exercises.

I've been sitting for half an hour trying to articulate why I think
this is a good idea, but the well has dried up...and I seem to have
gone a bit snow-blind looking at the blank screen! I just remember that
when I was learning Python, although the Tutorial was incredibly useful
and a key source of info, it seemed that I always had to hunt
excessively when I had questions like 'how does **kwargs work?', 'what
does extend do again?' etc. - I always thought that things weren't
ordered in the best way, and the chapter titles weren't that helpful.
so this is how I think it should be done! I hope it's a positive
contribution - maybe it will provoke discussion if nothing else.

Unfortunately, I won't have easy access to a computer for the next few
months, so I can't contribute any more at this point.

Comments welcome. Or contributions - particularly to the advanced
section.

All the best.

Gerard