Gateway broken?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Berger, Daniel, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    It appears that messages posted to google groups are not making it the
    ML again.

    Can we please fix? Thanks.

    Dan
    Berger, Daniel, Mar 10, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Hey folks,

    ES wrote:

    >On Thu, March 10, 2005 9:38 pm, Berger, Daniel said:
    >
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>It appears that messages posted to google groups are not making it the
    >>ML again.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Yep, it sure is broken. I'm also getting some sort of bounce messages?
    >
    >

    If you supply me with some msg-ids and/or subjects, I will investigate
    it, and check if there really
    is a problem at the gateway.
    Anyway: the gateway does not send bounce messages of any kind to anyone.

    Kind regards,
    Dennis Oelkers
    Dennis Oelkers, Mar 10, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Mar 10, 2005, at 4:38 PM, Dennis Oelkers wrote:

    > If you supply me with some msg-ids and/or subjects, I will investigate
    > it, and check if there really is a problem at the gateway.


    The gateway has been one way for several days now. A quick trip to
    Google Groups shows it well. I had a lot of trouble with this during
    this weeks Ruby Quiz. Here's the two submissions that never came to
    the mailing list:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/65a71c96a50491e3

    and

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/3bcab05c47d47bc6

    > Anyway: the gateway does not send bounce messages of any kind to
    > anyone.


    I too am seeing this odd behavior, whatever the cause.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Mar 10, 2005
    #3
  4. Dennis Oelkers wrote:
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > ES wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, March 10, 2005 9:38 pm, Berger, Daniel said:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> It appears that messages posted to google groups are not making it the
    >>> ML again.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> Yep, it sure is broken. I'm also getting some sort of bounce messages?
    >>
    >>

    > If you supply me with some msg-ids and/or subjects, I will investigate
    > it, and check if there really
    > is a problem at the gateway.
    > Anyway: the gateway does not send bounce messages of any kind to anyone.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Dennis Oelkers
    >


    One example: the recent thread on "priority queue using RBTree". My
    posts to the list went to the list and ng. The reply from Arah Howard
    was not forwarded to the list (I only found out about it because he
    addressed it to me as well).

    Thanks!

    --
    Joel VanderWerf California PATH, UC Berkeley
    mailto: Ph. (510) 231-9446
    http://www.path.berkeley.edu FAX (510) 231-9565
    Joel VanderWerf, Mar 10, 2005
    #4
  5. Hey James,

    James Edward Gray II wrote:

    >> Anyway: the gateway does not send bounce messages of any kind to anyone.

    >
    >
    > I too am seeing this odd behavior, whatever the cause.


    It would be helpful if you (or anyone else receiving any bounces) would
    forward them
    to me (keeping all headers as they are), so I can check out if they
    really originate at the
    gateway.

    Kind regards,
    Dennis Oelkers
    Dennis Oelkers, Mar 10, 2005
    #5
  6. Berger, Daniel

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Dennis Oelkers wrote:
    > Hey James,
    >
    > James Edward Gray II wrote:
    >
    >>> Anyway: the gateway does not send bounce messages of any kind to anyone.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I too am seeing this odd behavior, whatever the cause.

    >
    >
    > It would be helpful if you (or anyone else receiving any bounces) would
    > forward them
    > to me (keeping all headers as they are), so I can check out if they
    > really originate at the
    > gateway.


    I've seen this -- my impression has been that it's a symptom of
    the mailing list itself.


    Hal
    Hal Fulton, Mar 10, 2005
    #6
  7. On Mar 10, 2005, at 5:23 PM, ES wrote:

    > I think I may have deleted all the bounces, I'll take a look. They're
    > coming from a japanese qmail server that states the message has been
    > in the queue for too long, To: my ruby-ml address. I don't think that
    > I have return receipts turned on or anything.


    To be clear though, these messages ARE showing up on the mailing list,
    then I get a bounce notice days later.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Mar 10, 2005
    #7
  8. James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    > On Mar 10, 2005, at 5:23 PM, ES wrote:
    >
    > > I think I may have deleted all the bounces, I'll take a look. They're
    > > coming from a japanese qmail server that states the message has been
    > > in the queue for too long, To: my ruby-ml address. I don't think that
    > > I have return receipts turned on or anything.

    >
    > To be clear though, these messages ARE showing up on the mailing list,
    > then I get a bounce notice days later.


    That sounds more like someone has subscribed to the list with an address
    that went invalid, his host is sending a bounce message, and the mailing
    list is configured such that the sender's email address goes in the
    reply-to.

    martin
    Martin DeMello, Mar 11, 2005
    #8
  9. Hal Fulton wrote:

    > I've seen this -- my impression has been that it's a symptom of
    > the mailing list itself.
    >

    Yes, those bounces are definitely not related to the gateway at all.
    I guess they result from a subscribes broken mta which is using the
    return-path to send the bounce to the original posted instead of the
    mailing list host.

    Kind regards,
    Dennis Oelkers
    Dennis Oelkers, Mar 11, 2005
    #9
  10. On Mar 10, 2005, at 4:38 PM, Dennis Oelkers wrote:

    > If you supply me with some msg-ids and/or subjects, I will investigate
    > it, and check if there really is a problem at the gateway.


    Any word on the status of the gateway? Thanks.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Mar 15, 2005
    #10
  11. Berger, Daniel

    Dave Burt Guest

    > Any word on the status of the gateway? Thanks.
    >
    > James Edward Gray II


    No quiz posts have been sent to c.l.r but not the ML yet.
    I see three solutions both ways:
    - Matthew Moss
    - Glenn Parker
    - Dave Burt
    Dave Burt, Mar 15, 2005
    #11
  12. Berger, Daniel

    ts Guest

    >>>>> "J" == James Edward Gray <> writes:

    J> Any word on the status of the gateway?

    Apparently it's unidirectional : work only ruby-talk ==> clr

    See for example the thread

    "[newby] class variables and class instance variable?"

    on google


    Guy Decoux
    ts, Mar 15, 2005
    #12
  13. Hey ts, hey list,

    ts wrote:

    >J> Any word on the status of the gateway?
    >
    > Apparently it's unidirectional : work only ruby-talk ==> clr
    >
    > See for example the thread
    >
    > "[newby] class variables and class instance variable?"
    >
    > on google
    >
    >
    >

    You are absolutely right, due to the fact that I was out of office
    for a few days, I didn't notice that I had left the script in "do nothing,
    just log what you would you" debugmode, stupid me!

    Nonetheless, all missing postings from the group should reach the
    list in the next minutes.

    Kind regards (and sorry!),
    Dennis Oelkers
    Dennis Oelkers, Mar 15, 2005
    #13
  14. Berger, Daniel

    ES Guest

    In data 3/15/2005, "Dennis Oelkers" <> ha scritto:

    >Hey ts, hey list,
    >
    >ts wrote:
    >
    >>J> Any word on the status of the gateway?
    >>
    >> Apparently it's unidirectional : work only ruby-talk ==> clr
    >>
    >> See for example the thread
    >>
    >> "[newby] class variables and class instance variable?"
    >>
    >> on google
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >You are absolutely right, due to the fact that I was out of office
    >for a few days, I didn't notice that I had left the script in "do nothing,
    >just log what you would you" debugmode, stupid me!
    >
    >Nonetheless, all missing postings from the group should reach the
    >list in the next minutes.


    Indeed they did, unfortunately in some arbitrary semi-inverse order :)

    >Kind regards (and sorry!),
    > Dennis Oelkers


    No problem, thanks for the service!

    E
    ES, Mar 15, 2005
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John Roth

    Mailman gateway broken - again.

    John Roth, Nov 7, 2003, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    264
    John Roth
    Nov 7, 2003
  2. Grant Edwards

    Please fix broken news<->list gateway.

    Grant Edwards, Oct 10, 2004, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    251
    Grant Edwards
    Oct 10, 2004
  3. John
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    991
  4. John
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,020
  5. Christoph

    Gateway News-ML is still broken

    Christoph, Nov 10, 2003, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    140
    Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT
    Nov 17, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page