Gem Update Problems

Bryan Richardson

Hello all,

I'm having problems using gem. I'm on Ubuntu Feisty, and when I try
running 'gem update', it states "Bulk updating gem source index
http://gems.rubyforge.org" and hangs there forever. Any idea what the
problem is?

Thanks in advance!!! -- BTR

Lee Jarvis

Bryan said:
Hello all,

I'm having problems using gem. I'm on Ubuntu Feisty, and when I try
running 'gem update', it states "Bulk updating gem source index
http://gems.rubyforge.org" and hangs there forever. Any idea what the
problem is?

Thanks in advance!!! -- BTR

How long have you waited? I had to wait quite some time..

Have you also tried installing any gems, If so have they install ok?

Tried re-installing gems also?

Lee

Bryan Richardson

Lee said:
How long have you waited? I had to wait quite some time..

Have you also tried installing any gems, If so have they install ok?

Tried re-installing gems also?

Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks for responding. I've waited upwards to an hour while watching it
before just going to bed and checking it out the next morning. When I
try to install a new gem it does the same thing. I first installed gem
via apt-get, but then I removed that (v 0.9.0) and installed 0.9.4 from
source.

Thanks! -- BTR

Marcin Raczkowski

Eric said:
How much memory do you have?
you have less then 0.5gb ram, poblem is poor implementation of gem tool,
it tries to load whole rubyforge gem index into memory i had the same
problem

Eric Hodel

you have less then 0.5gb ram, poblem is poor implementation of gem
tool, it tries to load whole rubyforge gem index into memory i had
the same problem

No, it takes about 120MB of RAM for a full index update.