Generate XML document from Schema

Discussion in 'XML' started by vidarno@gmail.com, May 3, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi!

    I'm working on a simple xml editor in Java at the moment. It's purpose
    is
    to enable the user to store information about typically collected types
    of
    posessions, like books, movies (DVDs) and music (CDs). I want the
    program
    to be able to accept various forms of posessions, so if I later create
    a new
    Schema for a new type of posessions the GUI will adapt - This is much
    like
    the Xample editor which after opening an .xsd builds a user interface
    based
    on it.

    What I'm wondering is how this is possible, I've tried scouring the
    source code
    of Xample to discover just how it parses the Schema files, but to no
    avail, also
    it seems the developer is not responding to emails (also the program is
    "old").
    All other programs with the same functionality seem to be closed-source
    and/or
    commercial - I want/need to know how it's done! :)

    Is anybody out there able to help me out, point me in the right
    direction?
    I believe JAXB is not the correct way as it needs recompiling each time
    you use
    a new Schema, right?

    Thanks for your time, I hope YOU can help me. If so, cupcakes and coco
    might
    be involved.

    Sincerely,
    Mandragor

    , May 3, 2006

  2. An XML schema is itself an XML document. You can read it using an XML
    parser, then write tools to interpret it and (attempt to) generate an
    interactive entry system from it. A number of XML editors have attempted
    to do exactly that, either by just imposing constraints on a tree editor
    or by trying to take it all the way to forms (which is a more difficult
    problem). Dealing with all the interactions is a pain, which is why we
    haven't seen more examples of this.

    Joseph Kesselman, May 3, 2006