Get remote server system information using asp.net,c#

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?S3VtYXI=?=, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Hi Folks,

    I would like to develop one custom application using asp.net,C#,SQL server
    for tracking all our company servers.
    Most of the functionality is similar to HP Systems Insight Manager

    (http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/)

    I would like to store as much information as we can about server.
    System engineering staff can access the information at any time.

    Main functionality of my application should be as below.

    1. Ability to store and retrieve full server information like
    Server model#,
    Server_No,
    servicetag#,
    ipaddress(Internal)
    IPAddress(External)
    , List of hardware it has,
    environment it belongs,
    criticality of server,
    domain it belongs to ,
    List of softwares it has,
    List of custom applications it has,
    owners of the servers (our users),
    Name of the company server belongs to (within group of companies),
    Physical site location,
    Physical rack location,
    List of physical drives server has, its space usagedetails.
    List of logical drives serve has,
    Information about open ports on server,
    main functionality of the server etc.

    2. Ability to retrieve services running on the server

    3. Ability to retrieve processes running on the server

    4. Ability to generate reports based on different criteria’s provided
    by user

    Even though we can achieve most of functionality using hp insight manager,
    we would like to store some more
    custom information also.

    I would like to pull most of the data from server itself. my application end
    user enters only custom information

    we need.

    we have around 300 servers around the globe.

    My Questions:

    1.First of all is it a good idea to develop application for this kind of
    functionality.?

    2.How Can I pull all the above system information from my web server by
    connecting to particular server on my

    network?
    (consider scenarios like :some of our servers are hardened for security
    purpose,
    some ports are blocked
    Some are UNIX servers)

    3.How Can I pull all the running applications from my web server by
    connecting to particular server?

    4.How Can I pull all the running services from my web server by connecting
    to particular server?

    5.Do you know any tools which will provide the same functionality with the
    customization I need.?

    6.If it needs to be developed using asp.net,c#,sql server how much time it
    will take approximately?

    Please help me or guide me.

    Any kind of help is greatly appriciated.

    Thanking you
    Kumar
    =?Utf-8?B?S3VtYXI=?=, Feb 25, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S3VtYXI=?=

    Jc Morin Guest

    Hi Kumar,

    You can't get all information from ASP.NET (some involve client-side
    security issue and required system call).
    I think you will need to install an application on the server/computer that
    will push the data.

    A good way to catch and store all that information would be a web services.

    As for external IP you can get this one easy :)

    --------------------------
    Jean-Claude Morin, MCP
    Software Developer
    2k1Soft/kCentric, Canada

    Jc Morin, Feb 25, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S3VtYXI=?=

    WJ Guest

    > 1.First of all is it a good idea to develop application for this kind of
    > functionality.?

    Yes, but be aware that anytime you expose yourself to Port 80, there is
    always a risk. Especially you involve low-level system calls which requires
    system privilege.

    > 2.How Can I pull all the above system information from my web server by
    > connecting to particular server on my
    >
    > network?
    > (consider scenarios like :some of our servers are hardened for security
    > purpose,
    > some ports are blocked
    > Some are UNIX servers)

    As other poster already mentioned, a local service installed on each server
    is the best practice. My suggestion is: Unite all your resources under one
    Forest (Active Directory) as opose to stand alone/scattered resources. AD
    allows management resources better and more efficient.

    John
    WJ, Feb 26, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?S3VtYXI=?=

    subtile

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    look for the sydi project.. is a free opensource tool
    subtile, Mar 6, 2008
  5. =?Utf-8?B?S3VtYXI=?=

    kolags

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Hi Kumar,
    Even I am also doing same kind of application. Did you solve this issues? If yes, Can you plz help me, how should I get the remote system info from local machine?

    Thanks in Adv.
    kolags, Feb 12, 2009
  6. =?Utf-8?B?S3VtYXI=?=

    vikastripathi

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Need to get remote server information

    Hi Kumar\Kolags,
    I am also doing same kind of application. Did you solve this issues? If yes, Can you plz help me, how should I get the remote system info from local machine?
    Please help me if you have solution.

    Thanks
    Vikas
    vikastripathi, Oct 6, 2012