Get remote server system information using asp.net,c#

Guest

Hi Folks,

I would like to develop one custom application using asp.net,C#,SQL server
for tracking all our company servers.
Most of the functionality is similar to HP Systems Insight Manager

(http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/)

I would like to store as much information as we can about server.
System engineering staff can access the information at any time.

Main functionality of my application should be as below.

1. Ability to store and retrieve full server information like
Server model#,
Server_No,
servicetag#,
ipaddress(Internal)
IPAddress(External)
, List of hardware it has,
environment it belongs,
criticality of server,
domain it belongs to ,
List of softwares it has,
List of custom applications it has,
owners of the servers (our users),
Name of the company server belongs to (within group of companies),
Physical site location,
Physical rack location,
List of physical drives server has, its space usagedetails.
List of logical drives serve has,
Information about open ports on server,
main functionality of the server etc.

2. Ability to retrieve services running on the server

3. Ability to retrieve processes running on the server

4. Ability to generate reports based on different criteria’s provided
by user

Even though we can achieve most of functionality using hp insight manager,
we would like to store some more
custom information also.

I would like to pull most of the data from server itself. my application end
user enters only custom information

we need.

we have around 300 servers around the globe.

My Questions:

1.First of all is it a good idea to develop application for this kind of
functionality.?

2.How Can I pull all the above system information from my web server by
connecting to particular server on my

network?
(consider scenarios like :some of our servers are hardened for security
purpose,
some ports are blocked
Some are UNIX servers)

3.How Can I pull all the running applications from my web server by
connecting to particular server?

4.How Can I pull all the running services from my web server by connecting
to particular server?

5.Do you know any tools which will provide the same functionality with the
customization I need.?

6.If it needs to be developed using asp.net,c#,sql server how much time it
will take approximately?

Please help me or guide me.

Any kind of help is greatly appriciated.

Thanking you
Kumar

Jc Morin

Hi Kumar,

You can't get all information from ASP.NET (some involve client-side
security issue and required system call).
I think you will need to install an application on the server/computer that
will push the data.

A good way to catch and store all that information would be a web services.

As for external IP you can get this one easy :)

WJ

1.First of all is it a good idea to develop application for this kind of
functionality.?
Yes, but be aware that anytime you expose yourself to Port 80, there is
always a risk. Especially you involve low-level system calls which requires
system privilege.
2.How Can I pull all the above system information from my web server by
connecting to particular server on my

network?
(consider scenarios like :some of our servers are hardened for security
purpose,
some ports are blocked
Some are UNIX servers)
As other poster already mentioned, a local service installed on each server
is the best practice. My suggestion is: Unite all your resources under one
Forest (Active Directory) as opose to stand alone/scattered resources. AD
allows management resources better and more efficient.

John

Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi Kumar,
Even I am also doing same kind of application. Did you solve this issues? If yes, Can you plz help me, how should I get the remote system info from local machine?

Thanks in Adv.

Joined
Oct 6, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Need to get remote server information

Hi Kumar\Kolags,
I am also doing same kind of application. Did you solve this issues? If yes, Can you plz help me, how should I get the remote system info from local machine?
Please help me if you have solution.

Thanks
Vikas