getting listed in google...

Jemdam.com

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Jemdam.com quothed:

Hey, Alexa rated me number 1 (-until I dumped her for Felicia.)
Nevertheless, she still doesn't deny I'm a big(ish) player.
Okay thanks for all the replies based on insults and talking around the
subject but the question still remains:
Does any 'big player' or 'small player' get more hits from search engines
than link exchanges?
Now, before you all start again talking around the subject let's have some
facts. Tell us all:

Domain: Monthly Unique : Percentage search engines : Percentage Other

I will start:

http://www.pubtricks.com : 10000 : 30% : 70%

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jemdam.com quothed:
Okay thanks for all the replies based on insults and talking around the
subject but the question still remains:
Does any 'big player' or 'small player' get more hits from search engines
than link exchanges?
Now, before you all start again talking around the subject let's have some
facts. Tell us all:

Domain: Monthly Unique : Percentage search engines : Percentage Other

I will start:

http://www.pubtricks.com : 10000 : 30% : 70%

I don't know, but the thought comes to mind that what if a "player"
doesn't have any link exchanges?

I'll say this much about it: I think search engines are overrated and
I'd much rather have a good link-exchange network if I were concerned
about traffic.

Jemdam.com

I don't know, but the thought comes to mind that what if a "player"
doesn't have any link exchanges?

Exactly, this is why I wanted reports from people with bigger sites. You are
the only person who understood the reason. Instead everyone complained that
I was being restrictive in filtering views.
I'll say this much about it: I think search engines are overrated and
I'd much rather have a good link-exchange network if I were concerned
about traffic.

Okay, thats 2 people that rate link exchanges over Google, any more?

PeterMcC

Jemdam.com wrote in
Exactly, this is why I wanted reports from people with bigger sites.
You are the only person who understood the reason. Instead everyone
complained that I was being restrictive in filtering views.

Okay, thats 2 people that rate link exchanges over Google, any more?

It may well be that, for a given site, it is possible to generate more
traffic from link exchanges than from search engines - and vice versa.

The link:SE ratio of visitors is a measure of the relative effectiveness or
otherwise of the link exchanging/optimisation for that site rather than a
measure of the effectiveness of one marketing method over the other in
general terms.

A badly optimised site will get a significant proportion of visitors as a
result of link exchanges; a well optimised site will get a significant
proportion of visitors as a result of searches. Figures from random and
disparate sites will not provide a statistical basis for settling on which
method is more effective.

p.s. I doubt it makes any difference to the validity or otherwise of the
above, but I do pass the "qualified to contribute" threshold set earlier in
the thread.

Jemdam.com

p.s. I doubt it makes any difference to the validity or otherwise of the
above, but I do pass the "qualified to contribute" threshold set earlier
in
the thread.

Yes, what you say makes sense. I think every webmaster is interested in
traffic gain and even more so when their site is a business. It would still
be good to get someome to comment who has made it right to the top and tell
us all where the traffic comes from, heres hoping :)

Quasimido CSS

Domestos said:
Any tips for getting a site noticed more? apart from ad-words :(

"how to become famous"
commit unpopular (or popular) genocide. (or sex crimes)
badly sing boring lyrics, to boring rehashed music. release cd.
work hard for your campaign financier$, keeping one $tep ahead of the law.

:)