    Web sites, etc. that might help get me going.

    Thanks,
    George

    George, Apr 30, 2004

  2. If you are developing Web Form application or Web Services (as opposed to
    Winforms, console apps, or services) then I highly recommend WebMatrix from
    ASP.NET.
    This app was initially developed for inhouse use at MS and then a whole
    community was born (hence the word Matrix) out of this effort.
    Get this, in 1.3MB, that's right the size of a Floppy disk, they include an
    IDE (scaled down Visual Studio.Net), a DB engine (SQL Server Data Engine)
    and a Web Server (scaled down IIS).
    And it's FREE.
    otherwise you can the SQL Server Data Engine for dev only
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/downloads/download.asp

    "George" <------@----.---> wrote in message
    > VS.NET 2002/VB
    >
    > I would like to begin learning about DB programming, and I'm not quite

    sure where to start.

    > Before I add MSSQL 2000 to my hosting plan, the question that comes to

    mind is, how do I develop a
    > DB app on my local machine? Do I have to buy MSSQL 2000 and install it on

    my PC? That is way too
    > much money for me (and, I would think, most people), so I hope there is an

    alternative -- maybe
    > using Access in the dev environment, and then transferring the info to the

    MSSQL DB on the server?
    > If so, does that same code used with Access work with MSSQL?
    >
    > I guess what I'm looking for is an overview of how to get started with all

    this when I will be using
    > MSSQL 2000 at my site. Also, I would like any recommendations as to

    reading material, i.e. books,

    Terry Mulvany, Apr 30, 2004

  3. You can either use Access or MSDE, both of which do not require any
    licensing to use, and both of which can be upgraded to SQL Server. I would
    recommend using MSDE, so that you can use real Stored Procedures.

    The best reading material I can recommend is also free from Microsoft, and
    it is the .Net SDK. You can download it from:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A6-3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 30, 2004
  4. George

    George Guest

    Terry and Kevin,

    Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for!

    George

    George, Apr 30, 2004